Is there a fix for the tilted horizon issue

I agree with DB. If it were hardware I think I'd have it and see it every time I fly. Now it's hit and miss.

I've noticed the horizon issue is more pronounced when it's windy. Specifically when the bird is taking the brunt of the wind on its port or starboard. The Phantom would obviously be tilted towards the wind, & the gimbal doesn't seem to compensate.

In the attached video there is a 10-12 mph wind from the west. Watch the horizon when I'm heading towards the city (due north) & the wind is hitting the Phantom directly on her port side. The bird would be tilted left to hold against the wind, but the gimbal doesn't seem to know and is maintaining level with the airframe, hence the horizon tilted left. As she pans it will go level when facing east/west, or tilt the opposite direction when pointing south. To me this seems like a software issue.

I agree with you this is a hardware issue. I notice a slight tilt sometimes and other nothing at all. The fact that this is across the P4 and P3 platform also indicates it is like a firmware issue.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Same here. Sometimes it's great & other times I can't stand it. I can deal with a degree or two but whenever the horizon is canted 5-10° it really sucks. Feel like I'm recording the Tower of Pisa! :mad: Correcting in post would be a PITA because it keeps changing depending on the direction the bird is pointing, & you have to crop the video to do it. Not sure if any of the big-$$ editors have an "Auto-level horizon" option?

I agree with you this is a hardware issue. I notice a slight tilt sometimes and other nothing at all. The fact that this is across the P4 and P3 platform also indicates it is like a firmware issue.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
I've noticed the horizon issue is more pronounced when it's windy. Specifically when the bird is taking the brunt of the wind on its port or starboard. The Phantom would obviously be tilted towards the wind, & the gimbal doesn't seem to compensate.

In the attached video there is a 10-12 mph wind from the west. Watch the horizon when I'm heading towards the city (due north) & the wind is hitting the Phantom directly on her port side. The bird would be tilted left to hold against the wind, but the gimbal doesn't seem to know and is maintaining level with the airframe, hence the horizon tilted left. As she pans it will go level when facing east/west, or tilt the opposite direction when pointing south. To me this seems like a software issue.

That's actually pretty simple and it makes a lot of sense (the problem, not the way it's handling it). The gimbal is leveling with the quad as opposed to the ground/horizon. If that's the case, this may very well be something they can't fix without a hardware change. My problem is why hasn't it been fixed in generational/model changes?

Here is my P4 flying the same flight on a different day. A bit less wind out of the SSW (built-in windsock atop the Schaeffer tower...lol) hitting mostly the rear of the bird. Notice the difference? Though there are still a few moments (like flying sideways which applies the same roll issue as wind) this video I can deal with. I love the evening colors in the previous video but can't get past the horizon issue.

Last edited:
I'm curious on what evidence you are basing the "hardware issue" statement? I had a friend return an early-release P4 for a brand new one just last week. The new one was level for the first 1-2 flights, but now it's worse than the early model he returned!

Numerous reports to send it back to DJI and people reporting that DJI replaced the gimbal.

The issue also is when you rotate the phantom 4 will not stay level which is why you see it as a hit and miss, if you generally take off and fly in the same direction it will maintain a level horizon, as soon as you spin around it will cause the horizon to drift.

You also need to do a cold IMU calibration and if your issue still persists, do an aircraft factory reset and then another IMU calibration. This greatly improves the gimbal performance.

Also I'm not saying the second one will be any better, there was a lot of returned units, so its very possible its a refurbished unit or just a gimbal that has the same issue as the rest. There was one guy on the forums that returned his 5 times and another one that did it 4 times. I highly doubt DJI will fix all of them, chances are the store that returns them don't even say what was wrong with it.

It really is hit and miss with how your horizon is, but it is for sure a hardware issue.

Reactions: zacksomeone
Mine has started to have a tilted horizon issue recently and it's hideous. No damage or crashes, latest firmware and everything calibrated. Some times it's worse than others. Odd too because looking at the camera and gimbal, it appears leveled

Absolutely wonderful vid of Baltimore at night. I have a few questions. First. What were your camera settings? Two. Did you lose signal when flying around the buildings?
Phil H.

Thanks. The video was set to full auto @ 1080x30fps since YouTube is going to downgrade it to that when processing any edits. The bird is flying a Litchi autonomous mission & I do lose signal when down around the buildings as I am over two miles away at that point of the flight. I have near-continuous signal all the way up until it begins spiraling the World Trade Center. From that point on I get snippets of signal at the higher points...Legg Mason, Federal Hill, Ritz tower, Domino, etc.. From Domino back signal is mostly constant.

Absolutely wonderful vid of Baltimore at night. I have a few questions. First. What were your camera settings? Two. Did you lose signal when flying around the buildings?
Phil H.

I don't know what all the replies are, didn't go though them, I've had 100% of my phantoms have TiHo issues, even replaced one just for kicks, I'm averaging a million ft a month right now, as I watch close I can see it drift, I can see it also fix itself sometimes, I do instantly adjust constantly while flying, I'm convinced its a software issues in our gimbal because the hardware is spec'd out to be able to handle it, unless they're lying.

Also, wow look at the DJI forum omg its COVERED in ppl begging and comp!aining about TiHo issues, everytime an update comes out its the first thing that they ask.

Mine tilts a bit left or right sometimes depending on which direction I yaw. Sometimes it's perfect.

I found that doing a real cold IMU calibration (drone in the fridge for 1/2 hr) on a perfectly level surface followed right away by a gimbal calibration produced the best results.

I think they all exhibit tilt to some extent.

There's a poll going on right now over in the DJI forum. Last I looked, 30 claim they have tilt, 2 say they don't. I'll bet the ones who say they don't have tilt live somewhere where there are no flat horizons (like by the sea or on the open prairie). Flat horizons make the tilt more obvious.

I don't know what to do. Getting a new drone won't help when ppl who've just gotten one and they to have horizon tilt.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20