Is there a "Find My Phantom" app?

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 2 with Zenmuse gimbal coming today and was wondering if there's a way to find it if it happens to get lost via GPS?

atoms said:
I have a Phantom 2 with Zenmuse gimbal coming today and was wondering if there's a way to find it if it happens to get lost via GPS?

There is no such app. And there is no built-in tracking capability either. Some people have used third party tools. Best to do some searching as there is a lot of information out there, different options, etc.

KIDDING :D

Mine came yesterday. I've been lurking on here for months now for information. Decided to finally join in. Trying to hold back from asking all the noob questions. Have to put my stuff together and have been wondering about the same thing. I'm probably only going to fly it in a 50' circle the first 10 times cause I'm going to be paranoid to lose or break it.

Stoked though. Looking forward to playing around.

poostik said:
KIDDING :D

Mine came yesterday. I've been lurking on here for months now for information. Decided to finally join in. Trying to hold back from asking all the noob questions. Have to put my stuff together and have been wondering about the same thing. I'm probably only going to fly it in a 50' circle the first 10 times cause I'm going to be paranoid to lose or break it.

Stoked though. Looking forward to playing around.

Watch ALL of the Vision videos that Colin made while you're preparing. It will help you build a lot of confidence. A great tip for me was to make the first couple of flights with the Phantom pointing away from me. That way, "left is left."

BobUnplugged said:
Watch ALL of the Vision videos that Colin made while you're preparing. It will help you build a lot of confidence. A great tip for me was to make the first couple of flights with the Phantom pointing away from me. That way, "left is left."

Is there a central location for the videos you're talking about? All the ones I've seen with him seem to be from all different sources. I've been afraid some of them will/would get taken down because of all the legal stuff going on.

*edit*
I think I found the ones you're talking about.
The ones here?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGZ-ZJ ... TJYtNYa9vw

I looked at the pet tag thing but I wanted to have something that I didn't have to pay for monthly so I got one of these....

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Time-Por...?ie=UTF8&qid=1392236267&sr=8-1&keywords=tk102

All you need is a pay as you go sim card. I have it velcro'd to the bottom of my P2. I like it because its completely separate from the P2 systems, so worst case I have a P2 battery failure and the whole thing comes down, this separate GPS unit will still work...... assuming it survives the fall and I didn't fall into water :)

I understand the feeling about confidence and I agree with the other posts about watching all the videos. At the end of the day, the best you can do is educate yourself on the Phantom and try and do everything right, but you should always be willing to deal with the off chance you don't come home with your Phantom. I guess thats the price of having all the fun you can have with these things.

I recently took mine to Bora-Bora where I flew it out over the ocean, way up into the sky, and along the lagoon waters at a height of around 10 feet. Everything involved some risk, but it was really fun and the video footage was well worth it.

Educate + Get a GPS = Enjoy

SARC said:
I looked at the pet tag thing but I wanted to have something that I didn't have to pay for monthly so I got one of these....

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Time-Por...?ie=UTF8&qid=1392236267&sr=8-1&keywords=tk102

All you need is a pay as you go sim card. I have it velcro'd to the bottom of my P2. I like it because its completely separate from the P2 systems, so worst case I have a P2 battery failure and the whole thing comes down, this separate GPS unit will still work...... assuming it survives the fall and I didn't fall into water :)

I understand the feeling about confidence and I agree with the other posts about watching all the videos. At the end of the day, the best you can do is educate yourself on the Phantom and try and do everything right, but you should always be willing to deal with the off chance you don't come home with your Phantom. I guess thats the price of having all the fun you can have with these things.

I recently took mine to Bora-Bora where I flew it out over the ocean, way up into the sky, and along the lagoon waters at a height of around 10 feet. Everything involved some risk, but it was really fun and the video footage was well worth it.

Educate + Get a GPS = Enjoy

Good info. Thanks.

Question about your travel to Bora Bora . . . We're going to St. Thomas and I was planning on bringing the P2 with me as well. I got this case: http://www.helipal.com/carrying-case-fo ... m-big.html and realize that one of the dimensions of the carry-on restrictions is off by 4" (for United Airlines). I've seen a few threads in here where travel was mentioned and realize that the batteries need to be carried on and can't be checked because of fire hazards or something, but I think I'd like to keep everything with me if that's possible.

- how did you transport yours?
- is there any reason to not have it checked? airlines are notorious for treating your baggage like crap.

@poostik

You bring up all of the issues I was concerned with before we took the P2 with us.

In summary, I have this case...... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H6BU3J4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you measure, it is 20.25" x 16.93" x 8.78"

Uniteds carry on baggage policy states 22 inches x 14 inches x 9 inches, so I'm a little bit wider and a little bit shorter.

We had 3 flights : SFO - LAX (United), LAX - PPT (Air Tahiti Nui), PPT - BOB (Air Tahiti)

At SFO no one looked at it at security. No one looked at it at check in or boarding (I am Global Services with United, but I don't think that matters much). It went in the overhead bin easily end on. At LAX they weighed it (8.5kg v's 10kg allowance), so ok. In PPT they stopped my wifes bag because I had the batteries in there each in a separate fire proof bag, ie http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HTH78W/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Thay asked if they could open the bag. I said yes. They pulled out the battery. They asked what is was. I said its a battery. They put it away and gave it back to me. Because the plane to BOB was tiny and had basically no carry on space, I checked it. I watched them merrily throw it onto the plane but it was ok in the case and everything worked fine while we were there.

Coming back through PPT, they asked to open the case. When I did the guy said "Wow!!" called all his other security friends over to see it. They all took pictures of it and enthusiastically asked what it was and how high could it fly, etc, etc, then they waved me through.

In summary I was really nervous about flying with it this first time, but now that I've done it, I wouldn't think twice about bringing it everywhere with me from now on.

Good to know as I have the exact same case!

SARC said:
@poostik

You bring up all of the issues I was concerned with before we took the P2 with us.

In summary, I have this case......

great info SARC.

Thanks so much. Makes me feel a little better about maybe having to check it. My case has almost the same dimensions as yours but it's a bit wider by 2 more inches. I'm having doubts about it fitting in the overhead at almost 18" :(

I guess I should invest in the fireproof bag thing too.

p.s.
Sorry for derailing this 'find my phantom' thread into my own personal miscellaneous questions thread.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4