Is there a downside

Reaction score
So I'm still perfecting my FPV setup and regarding the GoPro it was set to PAL as that's the TV system in the UK however the GoPro default NTSC and the frame rate is higher for 1080 at 60fps against 50fps

As I'm recording MP4 and can display NTSC on my Black Pearl I decided to set the GoPro and Black Pearl up NTSC and take advantage of the higher frame rate. I'm sure this is all old hat to you experienced FPV people but I was quite pleased to find out it all worked fine

I guess it would only present a problem if I wanted to stream to a PAL only TV and I can see any other downside. So have I missed something here or is it really all so easy ?

Hello Teslar. You are correct. Unless related to TV to be in tune with the TV frame rate in the UK to prevent TV flicker you are good to go. For computer or YouTube etc., its universal, so the frame rate is not a limitation.

Reactions: teslar
Good to know I'm on the right track :)

So I'm still perfecting my FPV setup and regarding the GoPro it was set to PAL as that's the TV system in the UK however the GoPro default NTSC and the frame rate is higher for 1080 at 60fps against 50fps

As I'm recording MP4 and can display NTSC on my Black Pearl I decided to set the GoPro and Black Pearl up NTSC and take advantage of the higher frame rate. I'm sure this is all old hat to you experienced FPV people but I was quite pleased to find out it all worked fine

I guess it would only present a problem if I wanted to stream to a PAL only TV and I can see any other downside. So have I missed something here or is it really all so easy ?

You're not gaining a thing by by using NTSC 60fps vs Pal 50fps. In order for a 60fps to be played back on a PAL system it would have to be converted fo 50fps and vice versa for 50fps.to NTSC. Frame rates of 60/50 were due to the electrical systems of different countries like here in the US house current is 120v @ 60 cycles in Europe 240v @ 50 cycles.

Yes Jason as I said streaming to a TV would be a problem but as I'm watching the MP4 encoded video back on PC screen surely it's an advantage to originally capture it in 60fps. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong :)

Yes Jason as I said streaming to a TV would be a problem but as I'm watching the MP4 encoded video back on PC screen surely it's an advantage to originally capture it in 60fps. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong :)

Sorry but there's no physical advantage in either frame rate as they all can be converted to which ever rate you want with no loss/gain in quality

Sorry but there's no physical advantage in either frame rate as they all can be converted to which ever rate you want with no loss/gain in quality
And there was me thinking a faster frame rate meant that I could slo mo parts without losing quality. As slowing down 30fps to 15fps could lead to choppy video detectable to the human eye

And there was me thinking a faster frame rate meant that I could slo mo parts without losing quality. As slowing down 30fps to 15fps could lead to choppy video detectable to the human eye

While it's true that you can cut 60fps in half and have slowmotion you can also do it with any frame rate it all depends on the software and programs you have. In other words if you shot footage at 240fps you could down-rez to 120, 90, 60, 48, 30 and 24 for slowmotion. By the way MP4 is a compression rate and has nothing to do with frame rates.

Yes which is why I believe there's an advantage in capturing as high a frame rate as practical with the device you have and then watching it back on any supporting medium allows more editing features so it works for me :simples:

Yes which is why I believe there's an advantage in capturing as high a frame rate as practical with the device you have and then watching it back on any supporting medium allows more editing features so it works for me :simples:

There is no real advantage between NTSC/PAL frame rates no matter how high FPS are.Look if you shot footage 200fps in pal and converted to 50fps it would be slowmotion and if I took your footage and converted it to 60fps it would playback the same with no difference.

PAL and NTSC matters at the lower FPS. At these speeds, when flying near Fluorescent tubes, old TV's/CRT's monitors you will see flicker on your video footage. This is to do the electricity's frequency. Technically, If you are in a country with 60Hz, use NTSC 30FPS and if you are in a country with 50Hz use 25fps. Fortunately, all LCD's and Plasma displays all have super high refresh rates. This why all news presentations use big *** LCD's in the background instead of overlays.

PAL and NTSC matters at the lower FPS. At these speeds, when flying near Fluorescent tubes, old TV's/CRT's monitors you will see flicker on your video footage. This is to do the electricity's frequency. Technically, If you are in a country with 60Hz, use NTSC 30FPS and if you are in a country with 50Hz use 25fps. Fortunately, all LCD's and Plasma displays all have super high refresh rates. This why all news presentations use big *** LCD's in the background instead of overlays.

I would agree if this were in regards to broadcast television but this discussion has to do with computers, monitors and YouTube. A computer will play back either PAL or NTSC without the need to convert the frame rate but the frame rate would have to be converted from say PAL to the NTSC frame rate before it could be broadcast or vise versa.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20