Is there a clear verdict of new vs old motors yet?

Reaction score
Just wanted to know if the motors are worth waiting for and also could solve the cracking arms?

Thanks!

The jury is still out. Most people (including myself) still have no cracks with the old shell and motors.

60+ flights. I have the first Phantom 3 shell. I ordered the P3P the first week it was available.

The clear verdict is that both are good.
The new motors don't fix or solve anything. They are just different.
Hundreds of flights with no cracks on an early shell for me.

130 flights 128 Miles. May 2015 shell and motors. 0 evidence of cracks or other physical issues.

I guess the only reliable verdict is that both fly!

P3P old motors/shell here, 130+ flights/miles/hours and no cracks.

I've been fixing a few cracked ones for friends, both new and old motors/shells, but the vast majority of P3s here in my area are fine.

I got a p3 pro last thursday with new motors. The verdict... I had horrible stress cracks in two of the motor locations that i noticed today. Drove to best buy and returned it 15 mins ago lol. They only had the p3 with old motors. We will see how this works. I have until jan 15 to decide. I love this quad so far one of my favorite things i have bought in the last 5 years!

The verdict is that the shell, old or new, could use a lot more than just extra ribbing. It could use a lot more thickness. That would solve all these problems. If the power system can handle gimbal guards, strong arm kits and the extra weight that comes with these and other devices people add on, it could certainly deal with the extra weight of a thicker shell.

We had a DJI rep (3rd party company but represented DJI) today at my store (Bestbuy) as they were doing live demos at our store in the parking lot. I asked him about this and he actually had both models with him,both models had the new shell but one had the old motors and the other had the new ones,he said he sees absolutely no difference in them. He said DJI said they use less power so it Hypotheticaly should increase battery life but he said he hasn't seen a difference,both models that were flown got around the same time plus or minus a minute or 2.

The one obvious difference between the two is heat on motors and battery. Drastic difference. Motors always come back cold and battery just about cool enough to be charged instantly. Speed is the same.

Strange... If the battery and the motors barely get warm now this means the efficiency has increased a lot because all that energy has not been wasted as heat, also about the battery temp also means that the new P3 has much less current draw...

The one obvious difference between the two is heat on motors and battery. Drastic difference. Motors always come back cold and battery just about cool enough to be charged instantly. Speed is the same.

I have noticed this as well. With my fist P3 I had to cool the batteries for at least 10-20 minutes. With the new motors they do stay much cooler with no more than a few minutes on a hot day.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4