Is the TK102B Tracker any good?

Reaction score
I have just got a TK102B tracker and I noticed that when switched on and passed close to my Phantom it makes the lights flash even though the Phantom is switched of. Has anyone had any issues using one of these on their Phantom?

Mine sends me some text to complain about the noise upthere...

I have that same tracker, although it's years old and unfortunately I cannot get it to start up anymore. I think the battery is toast.

I can't imagine why it would do that. Are the lights flickering? Or functioning like they would if the Phantom is on?

If flickering, sounds like it's letting go of a **** load of EMF radiation possibly?

Mike_UK said:
I have just got a TK102B tracker and I noticed that when switched on and passed close to my Phantom it makes the lights flash even though the Phantom is switched of. Has anyone had any issues using one of these on their Phantom?
Tracker light flashing or Phantom lights :shock:

ilovecoffee said:
I have that same tracker, although it's years old and unfortunately I cannot get it to start up anymore. I think the battery is toast.

I can't imagine why it would do that. Are the lights flickering? Or functioning like they would if the Phantom is on?

If flickering, sounds like it's letting go of a **** load of EMF radiation possibly?

its the same as an old nokia mobile phone battery BL5B if it helps

ilovecoffee said:

What are you using for a tracker now, or are you using one at all? If you are not using one I may have a proposition for you.

Mike_UK said:

That's the funiest **** I have heard in a while.
First of all the lights on the phantom flashing means its good. It just means the tracker is working and sending out data.
The old nokia phones used to do this when you had led lights around them. It used to be novelty to have a nokia 5110 with an led antenna light. Everytime it rang or got an sms or changed towers it would flash. Its the same when you hold it next to a speaker, you will hear the "radiation" noise.

Just make sure that you set the tracker to only send the sms gps coordinates when you ring it. DO NOT SET to ping every 30 seconds. Even though its on different bandwidth (2100/900 I think), it can flood the transmission. You want this to behave as a tracker and ping when told.

Will TK102B Tracker work on 3G network?

I ordered a TK102B and have been unable to determine if it will support or use the 3G network (in the USA).
ATT will be phasing out the 2G network so I am worried that this thing will soon become a brick if it only uses 2G.
Or is 2G/3G only relevant for data and has no bearing on SMS. From my understanding the TK102B only utilizes calls and SMS to communicate and doesn't use any data networks.
Anyone have any insight on this?

Re: Will TK102B Tracker work on 3G network?

Brent10 said:
I ordered a TK102B and have been unable to determine if it will support or use the 3G network (in the USA).
ATT will be phasing out the 2G network so I am worried that this thing will soon become a brick if it only uses 2G.
Or is 2G/3G only relevant for data and has no bearing on SMS. From my understanding the TK102B only utilizes calls and SMS to communicate and doesn't use any data networks.
Anyone have any insight on this?

SMS is data, so if the TK is 2G, it will become a brick.

SMS isn't considered data in the informal consumer sense.

But it is 2G which is GPRS, the old slow form of data. Which is fine in this application because it's just transmitting numbers (coordinates) to a server. Getting it set up is the tricky problem because it uses this weird Chinese website. Check the messages at the bottom of this product page, it seems like you can give them the device's IMEI and they will register it for viewing the location online once you get it set up.

http://www.dx.com/s/tk102b

I love mine and has helped get it back on 2 mishaps !! When I got mine I bought it from a US seller and he sent 4 pages of info on setting it up and all the info you should need . I made a stickie of them in GD this morning and hope it is of help . :D
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=34531

it works out of the box, and it uses satellite tracking as well as GSM 2G, so its accurate to 1 metre, I know I had a reason to test it last week, and im glad I spent 30 pound on it.

To set it up you simply send a text message to it such as wakeup 123456 (password is default) my instruction book is in English and there is also an App on the Iphone store for easy use.

There are easy to read instructions here viewtopic.php?f=32&t=34531

dirkclod said:
I love mine and has helped get it back on 2 mishaps !! When I got mine I bought it from a US seller and he sent 4 pages of info on setting it up and all the info you should need . I made a stickie of them in GD this morning and hope it is of help . :D
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=34531

Yes, that will be helpful. Thanks!

Do any of you bother using any of the phone apps that are out there for the TK102 series of trackers.
Also, is there anything on the included CD worth messing with?

I tested my new TK102B tracker today with an H20 Wireless $10 prepaid SIM (in USA). So far, it seems rather accurate and has responded with map coord links to each of my calls.

The instructions say to charge the batteries for 8 to 12 hours before first use. DO NOT do this. Only charge until the LED turns from red to green lest your battery swell up.

This is where I bought mine:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171275544336?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20