Is the RF-V16 accurate to use in case of a flyaway?

Reaction score
I am looking for a cheap tracker that is accurate to say 50 yards or less to use as a tracker that I can attach to my P2 Vision in case of a flyaway and then I can at least find it? I have read a few mixed reviews on the RF-V16 which I see is available cheaply on eBay, how accurate and reliable is it? Are there any other alternatives which use Google Maps?

I bought the RF but could never figure out how to set it up. The directions are horribly translated and there are no real tutorials on how to set them up. The ones I did find left more questions than answers. I wound up buying a TK-102 and it works great. There are tons of set up info out there and I had it up in running in less than 5 minutes. I have tested it several times and each time it has been accurate to within a few feet. It was also half the price.

I will say that I have heard good things about the RF, but the main complaint is its trickiness to set up.

In any case there are literally hundreds of threads about this around if you use search. May be able to get some answers there.

freefall101 said:
I am looking for a cheap tracker that is accurate to say 50 yards or less to use as a tracker that I can attach to my P2 Vision in case of a flyaway and then I can at least find it? I have read a few mixed reviews on the RF-V16 which I see is available cheaply on eBay, how accurate and reliable is it? Are there any other alternatives which use Google Maps?

RF-V16 is brilliant. It is light, its battery lasts quite a while and you can even make it ring if you are within a few metres of a lost quadcopter.
It is as accurate as any working GPS device, I test mine quite frequently. It will also send you text if the battery gets down to 10%

I bought a TK-102 and was dissapointed with it. It would only record one location after being turned on, and then every query after that sent back the same (incorrect location). I have read that there have been a lot of fake/clone TK-102s, and it is possible I had one of those. For sure others have used The TK-102s and had a good experience with them. Each to their own, the RF-V16 works for me.

Hughie said:
freefall101 said:

RF-V16 is brilliant. It is light, its battery lasts quite a while and you can even make it ring if you are within a few metres of a lost quadcopter.
It is as accurate as any working GPS device, I test mine quite frequently. It will also send you text if the battery gets down to 10%

I bought a TK-102 and was dissapointed with it. It would only record one location after being turned on, and then every query after that sent back the same (incorrect location). I have read that there have been a lot of fake/clone TK-102s, and it is possible I had one of those. For sure others have used The TK-102s and had a good experience with them. Each to their own, the RF-V16 works for me.

RF-V16 seems to get good reviews so I would certainly second that. However for short distances it is worth looking at a Loc8tor or Marco Polo device either of which you can check out on Amazon

Both the TK102 & Rf-v16 are good, with accuracy around 10 mtrs. The RF wins at 27 grams all up.

The problem, as said above, is poor documentation- and much misinformation out there.

Both can be used as a GPS locator with a simple talk and text PAYG sims. Data enabled sims can, optionally, be used if your need is to track were your UAV has been rather than where the dammed thing IS!

The RF-v16 is more tricky to set up. Purely because of the lack of info. When set up for maximum accuracy & quickest response time the battery life drops to 6/8 hours.

Both do not have any ongoing subscriptions (apart from text charges) if GPS location is your aim.

The RF-v16 also wins as it can be commanded to ring (to narrow down the search) and can be used as a normal phone to contact up to 2 other phones.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj