Is the PV2 now obsolete?

Reaction score
Have been reading allot lately on the forums how the new PV2+ have impacted our members, and many is now afraid that our old PV2 is obsolete. But i can calm everyone down with (in my opinion) that is far from the truth.

Though the new 3 axis gimbals looks shiny, its not that big of a deal, i have ordered the RP and will patiently wait for it, knowing that its upgrade-able and very sturdy. Since the Camera is the same as the FC200, just wrapped differently its not a big tempter either.

Just remember there are many that still fly and enjoy the first Phantom, so i think we all can relax and enjoy out PV2 until a proper upgrade comes out...some day.

That is my opinion anyways.

Not obsolete by a long shot... But we are the new step children with regard to product upgradability and longevity.

Non ver 3 firmware Phantoms will be even more valuable than the vision plus because they're not crippled with new flight restrictions in the firmware. And with antenna mod on the camera antennas you'll be getting the same if not better range and performance benefit as the Phantom 2 Vision plus. If you need a stabalized gimbal sub $300 options are available that will perform adequately enough. So P2V obsolete? Not by a long shot, and my p2v will be staying far away from a USB cable until the cripple ware they call a "feature" has a disable option.

+1...i reinstalled my android app to 1.0.38 after autoupdate changed it.. Ive since turned that feature off in googleplay.
I wont upgrade my vision to 2.0 muchless 3.0 until we all know for sure what the true limitations are, and more importantly... The bugs are all figured out.. Maybe 2-3 months, i'll reconsider at that time.

What is needed is a way to choose a particular revision number and a way to install any revision backwards or forwards without bricking the Vision.

So far, theres nothing new i really care about in the last two revisions.. When waypoints comeout... That is someting i might want.. But not at the expense of limiting my Visions capabilities.

RCRookie said:
+1...i reinstalled my android app to 1.0.38 after autoupdate changed it.. Ive since turned that feature off in googleplay.
I wont upgrade my vision to 2.0 muchless 3.0 until we all know for sure what the true limitations are, and more importantly... The bugs are all figured out.. Maybe 2-3 months, i'll reconsider at that time.

What is needed is a way to choose a particular revision number and a way to install any revision backwards or forwards without bricking the Vision.

So far, theres nothing new i really care about in the last two revisions.. When waypoints comeout... That is someting i might want.. But not at the expense of limiting my Visions capabilities.

The app itself will not restrict your flight it's strictly firmware. And I myself look forward to 640x480 30fps preview quality

Im just disappointed that we have not gotten all we were promised for the vision before they released a new version.

friscoflyer said:
Im just disappointed that we have not gotten all we were promised for the vision before they released a new version.

I think DJI's reason for not releasing ground station prior to this firmware may be as an incentive or pressure to upgrade to the new 3.0 firmware with flight safety restrictions. Kind of like how Microsoft released DirectX 10 for Windows Vista & above but no Windows XP support. As well as not releasing IE9 for Windows XP but only Vista and above. It's their way of pressuring us, the consumer to upgrade to something we don't want or need just to obtain certain additional functionality.

[quote="BenDronePilot And with antenna mod on the camera antennas you'll be getting the same if not better range and performance benefit as the Phantom 2 Vision plus. If you need a stabalized gimbal sub $300 options are available that will perform adequately enough. So P2V obsolete? Not by a long shot, and my p2v will be staying far away from a USB cable until the cripple ware they call a "feature" has a disable option.[/quote]

^This.
I dont get the point in selling my Pv for a Pv+.
(And maybe im the only thinking the camera ball is more "sexy" than a gopro like 1 billion time seen)

BenDronePilot said:
I think DJI's reason for not releasing ground station prior to this firmware may be as an incentive or pressure to upgrade to the new 3.0 firmware with flight safety restrictions.

I am guessing something a little bit more logical and less sinister. Maybe you are saying the same thing.

Ground Station then Firmware = people autopiloting into restricted air space (by accident?) near airport, outside of their visual range to realize what's going on, etc.

Firmware then Ground Station = put all the safety in place before you let the drone do it's thing.

It makes sense to me to put in the failsafe and safety features into firmware first BEFORE you let something go autonomously.

yawnalot29 said:
Ground Station then Firmware = people autopiloting into restricted air space (by accident?) near airport, outside of their visual range to realize what's going on, etc.

Firmware then Ground Station = put all the safety in place before you let the drone do it's thing.

It makes sense to me to put in the failsafe and safety features into firmware first BEFORE you let something go autonomously.

This makes sense to me. Hopefully DJI will have the sense, though, to allow for the flight restrictions to be removed in a future firmware release. I'd accept future firmware giving users a choice, if I had to, to have the ability to remove flight restrictions... something like "remove flight restrictions and disable ground station" vs. "accept flight restrictions and enable ground station". That might be something that makes sense.

Of course, the easiest way to ensure that people stay out of trouble would be to build all these restrictions into the ground station software itself... but that would be too logical, and not "nannyish" enough... :)

I don't think the flight restrictions (exclusion zones around airports or Military installations) will ever be removed except by a 3rd party hack. As a flight engineer (retired) in the Army I have seen the result of bird strikes on aircraft, do you want to be responsible for a jet going down as a result of ingesting your phantom into the intake?? Not me, I will stay well clear of any take off and landing patterns thank you very much. Looking at the zone map I see only 2 airports in my area included, Sac International and Mather Fields, both far from me.

PS. Do you actually think DJI, a Chinese company, thought of this little feature without a lot of pressure from the FAA and it's counterparts elsewhere?

BenDronePilot said:
RCRookie said:

The app itself will not restrict your flight it's strictly firmware. And I myself look forward to 640x480 30fps preview quality

+2... RCRookie, the 2.0 update is ok and besides, it helps you with the landing issues such as your Phantom trying to take off again just after it has landed.

As a company they should offer a upgrade at a real good deal, dji got us to buy the phantom vision for the beginner and for just a hobby the camera sucks, so we all looked for other options like drone expert and rotopixel, then dji offers a plus, complete b.s. They see competitors looking to benefit off the vision and the come out with a plus with the gimbal that we all want they need to step up to the plate for all of us vision owners to upgrade for less then a rotopixl, or drone expert, IMO

I'm gonna get the P2V+.
But I, like so many, still have my low-hours, nearly-new P2V ..... and I may have it until one of my sons talks me into "gifting" it.

But I will tell you, if Keri steps up his game at Rotorpixel in the next 2 weeks, and starts cranking out his 2-axis Gimbal in significant numbers, then I'd get back on his order list, and hold off on the P2V+ until much later in the year.

It is ONLY because of the Rotorpixel difficulties that I'm even considering going to the P2V+.

Let's be real here,

If I were a new customer and wanted some flexibility and mod it my self I wouldn't choose the plus.
I would get the P2 if I wanted to add my own FPV, gimbal, cameras ect ect.
I would also buy used if it had v2 or less firmware. ( dealers should note this)

But for now I have a P2V with less than 2hrs of flight time. 2 minor crashes. With the only damage of a few props.
So I am sticking to my order of the Roto-pixel and hoping it will come soon and have all the QC bugs worked out.

Also I saw a youtube vid of a german dude explaining on how to downgrade using the assistant software.
I wish I knew more german but he pointed out a key combo and it piped up a dialog box for a user name and password to allow
down grading.

Oh yes it is most definitely obsolete, so the best thing to do is sell your P2V as quickly and cheaply as possible so that I can have an unlimited source of cheap spares... lol...

Seriously if you just bought a P2V and feel disappointed because a newer version just came out, don't be. The P2V is fantastic. You bought it because it looked and sounded super cool, it still is trust me. Sure a gimble would be nice but the stabilisation in movie production software is pretty good. If you wanted a gamble then a P2 is the option.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj