Is the Phantom overly susceptible to stray signals?

Reaction score
This bears closer study... if indeed it is the cheapie little receiver in the Phantom that is causing these loss of control problems, then there should be a corresponding absence or reduction in the number of instances where this kind of thing occurs, if the receiver is removed from the equation. Does anyone have any detail on how the DJI stuff stacks up compared to others?

If the solution is to migrate to a different RX and TX, sign me up! I think most of us would like to explore using alternate equipment, if for no other reason, to program a switch to initiate RTH without turning off the transmitter. And if it makes our Phantoms less likely to be hijacked by a stray signal, even better!

I've replaced my tx/rx, will post back if I ever encounter problems again.

Only had loss of control once so far, but "luckly" I were only 2 meters over ground and the phantom took off and crashed before it could regain altitude.

Is it perhaps a combination of overly susceptible receiver in proximity to a Hero 3 camera? How many of the flyaways happened with Hero 3 cameras on board? Are the Hero 3 cameras particularly noisy? Maybe they have one or more chips on board that are clocked at 2.4GHz or some factor of it.

I flew my Phantom several times with a Hero 2 on board with WiFi enabled and no problems or odd behavior.

I've flown mine around my neighborhood (probably a bad idea) where I know there are a half-dozen different routers in nearby houses with no issues.

The one time I lost control was actually one of the few times I didnt have my gopro3 on it. It was however close to an antenna that i dont know what have hooked up in the other end.

Saw this on the Phantom Owners page on Facebook. Looks like some analysis of the GP3 and Naza GPS is underway.

Palul Syrett
Hi All
Did a little looking into the Wi-Fi and RF noise thing coming from the Gopro 3 today.
We scanned the GP3 from 0 MHz all the way up to 1.8GHz and is clean, later this week I will have the use of a 13 GHz RF scanning oscilloscope and will put the GP3 to the real test.
The electronics engineer thinks the NAZA GPS has no filter built in to remove the unwanted FR from hitting the Pre Amp of the GPS and over loading it.
If you think you cell phone has a GPS Wi-Fi and TX in it and the GPS still works when you are on the phone! Phones have big filters in them.
The best way for him to tell is to have a working NAZA GPS too test the Pre Amp output (it will never fly again)
I will keep you posted : )
Looking for a volunteer with a NAZA GPS they don’t need : O
Paul

At NAB Colin Guinn was showing the Phantom Vision. He was explaining the WiFi link to the iPhone. He said there were enhancements made to the Tx/Rx to make that happen. I wish I could find that video again.

i used futaba t8j i have 30 hours of flying on it? i never lost signal..with a gopro 3 attached on it. ,maybe i fly where i can see my phantom clearly or i'm not aggressive enough to fly high where i can't see my phantom lol. and i never fly over 30mph wind..... patience maybe...

Droneman said:
i used futaba t8j i have 30 hours of flying on it? i never lost signal..with a gopro 3 attached on it. ,maybe i fly where i can see my phantom clearly or i'm not aggressive enough to fly high where i can't see my phantom lol. and i never fly over 30mph wind..... patience maybe...

How much was involved in migrating the phantom to the t8j?

I also use a Futaba T8J. Yeah, just watch a few videos, look at the Phantom user guides to confirm what channels are
which, and you can program switches the way you like. Also like the programmable timers, and able to program "failsafe"
and a dedicated "return to home" switch.

I have my Phantom all disassembled right now. One of my motors has bad bearings, so I have ordered the T-Motor anti-gravity
motor set. Also I have ordered a bunch of "toroid ferrite rings" to help suppress interference.
I think the grey foam padding that covers the gps unit in the top shell provides some level of protection, but I am going to
lengthen the wires, and wrap them in a ferrite ring like the makers of other gps systems do. "can't hurt". I will also
install the ferrite rings on other receiver wires, and perhaps the wire to the led/usb board.

I'm considering using a bit of sorbothane to reduce vibrations to the gps and also the compass.

This thing is just getting too expensive not to try anything and everything possible.

Audaciter said:
I also use a Futaba T8J. Yeah, just watch a few videos, look at the Phantom user guides to confirm what channels are
which, and you can program switches the way you like. Also like the programmable timers, and able to program "failsafe"
and a dedicated "return to home" switch.

I have my Phantom all disassembled right now. One of my motors has bad bearings, so I have ordered the T-Motor anti-gravity
motor set. Also I have ordered a bunch of "toroid ferrite rings" to help suppress interference.
I think the grey foam padding that covers the gps unit in the top shell provides some level of protection, but I am going to
lengthen the wires, and wrap them in a ferrite ring like the makers of other gps systems do. "can't hurt". I will also
install the ferrite rings on other receiver wires, and perhaps the wire to the led/usb board.

I'm considering using a bit of sorbothane to reduce vibrations to the gps and also the compass.

This thing is just getting too expensive not to try anything and everything possible.

For sure! Anything that can be done to make it better, and life easier is well worth doing. Every time I plug in my USB cable to the mini port on the shell of my Phantom I am happy I made that little change!

Yes, SacD. That was a great mod. I may have to utilize that mod myself. The interior is so crammed now,
I have no idea where all the electronics are going to go for gimble power, camera power, OSD system, FatShark system,
and hopefully a bluetooth module, if they ever get around to it.
I've been toying with the idea of installing all the electronics in the battery compartment, and adding the battery to
the tray behind the gimble

I want to look into "ferrite sheets" to contain some of the RFI , as well as using toroid ferrite rings on everything.

Check out the way other gps manufacturers such as Eagle Tree OSD come with a pre wrapped ferrite core. nothing
like that on the Phantom.

I also think having the gps securely mounted to the shell is a mistake. especially if your props are not balanced.
the direct vibration has got to be driving it nuts, and in some of the videos you can see the Phantom shaking pretty
badly, when it is acting up.

My phantom runaway occurred within about 2 km of a series of high output radio antennas. I don't know what frequency they transmit at but since there was nothing else around (over the ocean) I'm making them guilty. I was carrying a gopro 3 with no wifi on. Interestingly, a similar set of microwave antennas used to knock out the engine computer in my 1986 VW Westfalia when I drove by, the engine would mistime and lose power until I got past. It took me years and several trips to the dealer to figure that one out. I had a 1996 VW Passat that actually stated in the manual not to use a cellphone in the car as it interfered with the computer! Old school! Maybe VW makes the IMU controller in the Phantom? LOL Anyway, those pilots who have said they had no issues should just be aware that their circumstances may be totally different and just be aware of signal pollution. Just sayin'...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub