Is the P3P too fast a bird for good controlled 4k filming?

Reaction score
Let me preface by saying that few people on this forum ever complain that their quad flies TOO FAST. But I will offer this opinion. I fly primarily to shoot beautiful aerials in 4k. And I find it very very hard to fly slow enough to get truly good aerials. It requires way too much joystick control to slow the flight down to a speed that looks good for something as simple as a person walking through a field. The quad quickly outpaces almost anything. And even if you do get it to fly at a gentler pace, any slight variation on the joystick and the quad is slowing and speeding up and losing your bead on the subject.

I consider myself a good, experienced flier, but nevertheless I find it VERY hard to fly slowly.

I wish there was a professional setting called "low speed" as opposed to "sport" or "normal". Does anyone have any tricks of the trade to share to make my flights slower and smoother over things like people walking, surfers paddling out from shore, slow passes of landmarks?

Note: I only want to shoot in 4k, so slow motion is not an option, yet. I have tried punching a hole in a credit card and using it to do gradual control of the joystick for much more gradual flight, but even that is prone to problems.

Any other suggestions?

Reactions: Brent10
also you can adjust stick sensitivity in the controller settings within the go app- you are right, while cruising/panning ANY minor tilt and its off target

also you can try target acquisition using vertical studio

also you can set a way point with or without point of interest and then set the speed at say 1 mile per hour, from my experience obtaining highest quality 4k it takes a really steady finger/thumb OR just move straight to using the automated flight modes...

Litchi and vertical studio may be your best bets.

Or, use waypoints and set your speed to the absolute minimum

Reactions: Fly Girl
The quad quickly outpaces almost anything. And even if you do get it to fly at a gentler pace, any slight variation on the joystick and the quad is slowing and speeding up and losing your bead on the subject.
Any other suggestions?
Go into the Gain and Expo settings
Don't touch the Gain settings but adjust the Expo to adjust the sensitivity of your joysticks to give you fine controll close to the centre of their movement.
Experiment a little to find a setting that works for you.
i-ZNgPbZp-L.png

do i hear an echo?

No, that's just some undesirable Reverb. Hahaha
Be thankful it's not squelch. ;-)
I can fly gently, or at full speed ahead. But never considered a seniors setting...

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Noble 1
Go into the Gain and Expo settings
Don't touch the Gain settings but adjust the Expo to adjust the sensitivity of your joysticks to give you fine controll close to the centre of their movement.
Experiment a little to find a setting that works for you.
i-ZNgPbZp-L.png
Even with these maxed out the movement is still too rapid - maybe DJI will make further adjustment an update one day.

Even with these maxed out the movement is still too rapid - maybe DJI will make further adjustment an update one day.
Not supposed to max it out,you are supposed to lower it. Set it to .30 for all values, if that doesn't fix it then you have lead fingers and need elastic dampener s that can be purchased at Gimbal-Guard or wherever else people print them.

Not supposed to max it out,you are supposed to lower it. Set it to .30 for all values, if that doesn't fix it then you have lead fingers and need elastic dampener s that can be purchased at Gimbal-Guard or wherever else people print them.
Yeah - max out the dampening I meant. (Typed despite my lead fingers..)

You should consider investing in the Litchi app and learning to design your missions in advance (from the comfort of your computer) before you even get out to where you're flying. You can control all aspects of the flight including speed. If it's not to your liking you simply adjust the parameters and run it again.

I like Autopilot. You can go as slow as you want and have more control over every aspect of your flying. Take a look and you will see what I mean. Enjoy.

You should consider investing in the Litchi app and learning to design your missions in advance (from the comfort of your computer) before you even get out to where you're flying. You can control all aspects of the flight including speed. If it's not to your liking you simply adjust the parameters and run it again.
Litchi is good if you use a android and autopilot is best if your own a iOS. You can use Litchi with apple but I think it is better with a android device. Just saying.

Another vote for Litchi, you can fly the same mission over and over until you get it right. Adjust speed, waypoint heights/locations, etc. in the app or online at Mission Hub - Litchi

Litchi missions also allow you to do smooth turns and focus the camera on Points of Interest. It will give you turns, pans and rotations that you could never do manually.

Just a note, Autopilot will do all that and more. I have both and I will use Autopilot more because it has more options. And I am a IOS user.

Are there any similar, free apps for Android? I'd like to check out this sort of functionality and see if it's something I'd want/use before I plunk down $20 for lichti.

There are always options with Android, which is one of the things I like about it. But consider that you get what you pay for and decide if cheapest is the way you want to go in this particular case. Litchi is well tested (IMO much better tested than DJI GO) and has proven to be quite reliable and robust (DJI SDK issues aside). Best $20 accessory purchase I've made for the P3 (and there have been many, many $20 purchases for the P3).

Are there any similar, free apps for Android? I'd like to check out this sort of functionality and see if it's something I'd want/use before I plunk down $20 for lichti.
So do you use an Android or IOS? That to me is the question. If you use Android than by all means go with Litchi. I think that it will be the best investment you could make. If you have a IOS that I would consider the Autopilot. After investing the kind of money we do on the birds we have it is a small price to comment a very good experience. Good luck.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik