Is the Litchi App really worth $20?

Reaction score
I like the features that the app offers but I'm finding the $20 price a bit hard to swallow. Is it worth the price for the extras compared to the Go app?

Yes, and buy the in app items as well

YES, you have a lot more opportunities to pre plan a flight and only worry about your camera while the program flys it which = better video and photos. Or even plan one on the fly. Tons more functionality, I use Litchi in combination with Airnest and I'm one happy camper

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: AuldGimpy
Just off the top of my head, in Orbit mode, Litchi allows you to set the POI on your mobile device while the bird is still on the ground. No wasting time and battery power hovering the bird directly above the POI to set it, which you are required to do with the Go app.

Then there's Focus, which you will have to purchase in-app. If I understand correctly, this allows you to fly the bird in almost any direction while its camera is pointed persistently at your chosen POI. On the Inspire, it rotates and pans the camera automatically. On the Phantom, I think it uses the yaw to pan the camera side to side and adjusts the camera pitch for you. Though, I have yet to try this.

But really, if you don't use any of these features, the Go app is more than enough, IMO.

Last edited:
I've used litchi and yes for what you can do with it it is worth it

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I like the features that the app offers but I'm finding the $20 price a bit hard to swallow. Is it worth the price for the extras compared to the Go app?

I'm with the OP. Seams a bit steep for an app that generally does what the GO app does, just with a different workflow (i.e. better preplanning). That said, I'm not sure the waypoint flying (which does make this QuadCopter a "drone") is the best thing as it allows you to fly out of line of site which again I'm not sure is a good thing (but it looks like a lot of folks are doing it.). That said the preplanning for waypoints is kind of cool; but I can fly waypoints with the GO app. $10 and I would give it a try.... $15 or $20 nahhhhh. Besides a bug on their part does not constitute a new Copter on your part when it smacks into a tree or flies away. My 2 scents. Unless there is a really cool feature I am missing?

Ok, but why? Can you give me a use case that I would not be able to do with the DJI Go app?
I have used Litchi for about 4 weeks now. I have used the way-point mode many times. What I like the most is the ability to build the missions from the Litchi mission hub online then save them for future use. The first time I allowed to fly a long range mission I was scared of loosing it if something went wrong, so I followed the quad in my van but after realizing I couldn't really locate it in the air well I watched it in the FPV display and knew it was following the mission just as planned.

When I returned home I decided to let it fly and just wait for it. Once the mission has started, if you loose contact with the quad it will complete the mission on its own. I used it many times close to home, only allowing it to fly a mile away at first. I then did a flight from my sisters home to the small town close by. I did loose contact and for a few minutes (seamed forever) I got FPV back and I relaxed.

I will try the other functions when it gets warmer here in Ohio, but I think most of my flights to take pictures or any long range flights will be with Litchi. I trust it now.

I used it many times close to home, only allowing it to fly a mile away at first.

"Only a mile"... LOL. That's fantastic. I'm still nervous watching mine get smaller and smaller at "only" 1/2 km away... VLOS where I fly.

A Litchi-related question... probably covered elsewhere... I assume third party apps are using the official DJI SDK, but what's DJI's policy in case of equipment / mission failure when not using their own app ?

I'm with the OP. Seams a bit steep for an app that generally does what the GO app does, just with a different workflow (i.e. better preplanning). That said, I'm not sure the waypoint flying (which does make this QuadCopter a "drone") is the best thing as it allows you to fly out of line of site which again I'm not sure is a good thing (but it looks like a lot of folks are doing it.). That said the preplanning for waypoints is kind of cool; but I can fly waypoints with the GO app. $10 and I would give it a try.... $15 or $20 nahhhhh. Besides a bug on their part does not constitute a new Copter on your part when it smacks into a tree or flies away. My 2 scents. Unless there is a really cool feature I am missing?

Yes I agree, The way-point feature is cool but I suspect DJI will include it in some future update to the Go App. Or someone else will release one for cheaper. $10 yes I would buy it. $20 no thanks I can wait.

If you want to fly waypoint missions–either planned on their mission hub website, or on your device, it's well worth the $20. (or $14.99 for the IOS version).

If you're not going to do this type of flying, I'd stick with DJI Go.

S

I also bought the autopilot app on iOS for 30 but it has so much it will take weeks to learn litchi I figured the basic real quick and easy

Personally , I bought Litchi solely for the Virtual Reality mode.Planning to buy Freefly VR headset for a whole new experience in flying my Phantom 3 Standard !

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: rmsmis
I think it is funny people have spent $500-$1200 just for the quad and are not willing to spend $20 on an app. Think of it this way, that is less than 3-4 meals at a fast food joint.

Seriously, get it and you will love it.

Tele
I don't eat fast food, but I'd rather have 1 meal at outback. LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav