Is the Inspire worth?

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I am the luky and very happy owner of a P3A, craft in which I have invested a good amount of money (I bought it the last year at full price, then 2 more batteries, backpack, extra sets of propellers).
I am not really that interested in the P4 (which IS an excellent machine, but coming from a P3 I don't feel the need of upgrading).
But, with the recent price drop, I was considering to buy an Inspire, which is a craft that has always fascinated me.
Still, I have never flown one, nor I have never seen one flying "live".
Therefore, I was wandering if the Inspire is worth the money.
I mean, P3A has lightbridge as well, longer flight time, and it's easyer to carry. The camera is also very similar (I can't afford buying the pro).
The Inspire is faster (but I don't need a racing machine), propellers and legs won't appear in the camera, it can be controlled by two operators (which is something I will never do...), and I understand is less noisy (much appreciated).

Anyone of you owns an Inspire?
Would you please share your thoghts?

Thank everyone.

If you dont need the speed, slave operation for second camera operator, prefer the portability of the phantom, dont like the idea of reduced flight time and arent interested in paying for the X5 i think you would be wasting your money.

The P3 can be flown with legs out ofvyhe frame with care in most circumstances and the sound is more different in frequency than quieter.

Reactions: Andrea
If you dont need the speed, slave operation for second camera operator, prefer the portability of the phantom, dont like the idea of reduced flight time and arent interested in paying for the X5 i think you would be wasting your money.

The P3 can be flown with legs out ofvyhe frame with care in most circumstances and the sound is more different in frequency than quieter.

I meant to add you do have the option to add an X5 camera later to reduce the initial investment but it does work out more expensive to do it that way.

The inspire is more solid in the air (especially if windy) and easier to see further away.

Happy flying!

I have both, the Inspire is in a completely different class. If you can afford one, you won't be disappointed however, I'd keep both your P3A and Inspire to allow you to "mix" it up a bit.

I've also been considering the Inspire, I feel the phantom as more of a toy compared to a real tool. In my reading, I thought the inspire with the tb48 battery had MORE flight time?

I thought the inspire with the tb48 battery had MORE flight time?
Per DJI's specs, the P3 has a max flight time of 23 minutes and the Inspire 1 with a TB48 has a max flight time of 22 minutes.

Anyone of you owns an Inspire?
All of the accessories are much more expensive. But, if you have money to burn, it's a fun quadcopter to fly. Utility-wise, the extra features probably won't end up being as beneficial as you think. Noise-wise, it's very comparable to a Phantom. The biggest benefit is that you can fly via dual operator. That's likely only a benefit though if you're doing commercial work and only flying LOS.

You could also try asking people over at inspirepilots.com how the I1 is. Also, keep in mind that the I1 is due for an upgrade this year, hence the price drops. Either wait for that (I2, I1 v3, whatever) or wait for the I1 to drop even further, so that maybe you can reach the I1 Pro.

The I1 is much quieter than a Phantm, almost stealth like. In regards to battery, the run time is significantly less than the Phantom. My TB47s deliver 14 or so min while my TB48s are roughly 2 min longer.

What are your "needs" in terms of another aircraft? If you're just looking for the cool factor and money is no issue then the Inspire can fill that need but it comes with a price penalty. If you don't need interchangeable cameras etc then the other feature of the Inspire just don't add up at least IMHO. The P3A/P are very capable aircraft and give you a lot of
bang_for_your_buck2.jpg

If you were needing more performance and features there are better suited platforms than the Inspire but it's still a very capable aircraft.

Per DJI's specs, the P3 has a max flight time of 23 minutes and the Inspire 1 with a TB48 has a max flight time of 22 minutes.

And your lucky to drag 20 from a 48, plus at £200 each in the UK (I have 5 of them) it's like having a phantom into batteries [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have both, and I've just invested in a new case (£300 [emoji85]) so I can have the inspire Ready to fly in 5 minutes (gimbal attached, dbs fitted etc) as apposed to the 5-10 min setup time taking it from travel mode, attaching gimbal etc, I don't mind doing that it's good practice to do things in the correct order but personally I prefer it setup ready for deployment. Sometimes when I'm on a mission time is key and I have to be in and out quickly, now this is where the phantom comes in, and it's far beyond a toy, dont let that idea pass your head, the phantom lets me jump outta the car, send it up and be out before anyone battered an eye lid! It's perfect for this whereas the inspire needs to be put back correctly and it takes time, all depends on what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks everyone guys.

I'd like the idea of a craft that handels the wind better (I missed some wonderful shots the last summer, I wasn't brave enough to challenge the strong wind).
I'd like to have the chance to upgrade the optics, just like I do with my reflex.
I'd like a quieter craft (if there's people around when I lift off my P3, you can be sure that everyone will be staring at me and the white bird).
And finally, I like the engineering that there's behind.

But you are right, everything will cost much more and the flight time (as per what CCDD states) is really disappointing (even with the TB48 battery).

Still, I'd love to bring one of those toys in the air.

I really hope prices will keep dropping...

Reactions: liketogethigh
I'd like a quieter craft (if there's people around when I lift off my P3, you can be sure that everyone will be staring at me and the white bird).
Quieter? Perhaps. It's certainly not quiet though. Mine always turns heads when I lift off.

Reactions: arcaine25
Similar to Phantom on take off only, much quieter when being flown.

Similar to Phantom on take off only, much quieter when being flown.
I'm hoping nobody shells out that kind of cash because they think it's going to be stealthy. A quiet quadcopter is most certainly an oxymoron.

Well, don't come back here crying when your bank account is empty and your Inspire 1 is still waking up the neighbors :D

In all seriousness though, it's a fun quadcopter to fly. I cannot wait to see what DJI has in store for the Inspire 2.

Last edited:
Well, don't come back here crying when your bank account is empty and your Inspire 1 is still waking up the neighbors :D

In all seriousness though, it's a fun quadcopter to fly. I cannot wait to see what DJI has in store for the Inspire 2.
The I2 would really need a second fixed front facing camera (parrot bebop stile).
It would allow the pilot to FPV control the craft, while the operator operates the camera...

The I2 would really need a second fixed front facing camera (parrot bebop stile).
Yep -- if you want to fly anything but LOS. Most commercial operations are probably only flying LOS though. That's me assuming that most dual operators are flying for commercial purposes.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic