Is the GoPro4 compatible with the H3-3D gimbal?

Reaction score
I am planning to upgrade to the GoPro4 camera to be used with the Phantom 2. Does anyone know if the GoPro4 is compatible with the H3-D3 gimbal? Or do I need to purchase the H4-D3 gimbal?

I have the latest level H3-3D gimbal. Was able to balance ok but have had nothing but problems with it on a F550 and Tarot 680 with a GP4 Silver. All of the issues are with power when you plug in the cable from the gimbal to the usb connection on the side of the gopro. Remove that cable and and gimbal camera work fine as a standalone unit. This is a GoPro 4 Silver that DJI just ignores and says it supports the Black. The H4-3D has a lot of controversy about what is different about it other the separate pricing for the GCU when you want to install it on anything but a Phantom. My best guess is if you are buying it for your phantom and the price is the same as a H3-3D you are probably getting a better match in terms of balance only on a GP4 Black. If there are other differences I would sure like to hear them.

I've got the 4 Black on an H3-3D.
No problems with mine, but it wasn't set up by me, it came set up that way.

The H33D 1.0 is NOT compatible with the Gopro4's. This uses the rear hero port 30 pin connector. The H33D 1.1 with the side USB connector works with both 3 and 4's.
You can convert a 1.0 to 1.1 and vice versa.

With the 1.1, take your time removing and inserting the flex cable. The flex cables are cheap so stock up in case it fails in the field. You can also place some more tape to reinforce the flex cable.

The other issue is the side button on the Gopro4's getting pressed during flight by the mounting plate. Just place some padded tape or dremel the gimbal mount. Do the padded mod as it does not void the warranty.

Just make sure you neutral balance the H33D. Ie, when the phantom is off, it does not limp to one side - it should just float.

H3-3D/GP4BE setup here and no problems whatsoever. Fly it without battery for a perfect balance, works well with the battery otherwise.

Thanks everyone for your input. Especially Mako79 re: neutral balance. Must confess my ignorance, how does one create a "neutral balance"?

The H33D 1.0 is NOT compatible with the Gopro4's. This uses the rear hero port 30 pin connector. The H33D 1.1 with the side USB connector works with both 3 and 4's.
You can convert a 1.0 to 1.1 and vice versa.

With the 1.1, take your time removing and inserting the flex cable. The flex cables are cheap so stock up in case it fails in the field. You can also place some more tape to reinforce the flex cable.

The other issue is the side button on the Gopro4's getting pressed during flight by the mounting plate. Just place some padded tape or dremel the gimbal mount. Do the padded mod as it does not void the warranty.

Just make sure you neutral balance the H33D. Ie, when the phantom is off, it does not limp to one side - it should just float.
It will power the h4, there is another thread in the forum talking about this. I think the sequence of which power up first b4 putting in the cable or the other way around.. Hehe.. I forgot.

Yes. I agree the Bluetooth button is very close to the gimbal. Somebody just sand that part of the gimbal down a little. I just make sure that I don't turn in on accidentally before I fly. So far no problem

Thanks everyone for your input. Especially Mako79 re: neutral balance. Must confess my ignorance, how does one create a "neutral balance"?

You need to add weight to the gimbal to get it to sit level when it is powered off (balanced). There are a ton of videos on how to do this. Depending on how sensitive your gimbal is to being unbalanced, you may not need to do it.

Hero 4 Black with H3-3D v1.1 here works with no problems (even with battery on).

Just be careful to make sure the gimbal doesn't accidentally turn on the Wi-Fi (from hitting the on the side) since that may potentially cause flight problems.

I have a H3-3D V 1.1 and I just purchased a Hero 4 black and all I get is the OSD info on the screen. The gopro freezes constantly as well. I updated to the latest software and am using one of the best memory cards they recommend. Everything worked flawlessly with my Hero 3 Black.... Any thoughts or links to other discussions? Thanks!

My Hero 4 black and Silver ok with V1.1 (USB). It also works with V1 but very sluggish to turn on if the phantom is already on. Is the Go pro charging from the Phantom?

Last edited:
My Hero 4 black and Silver ok with V1.1 (USB). It also works with V1 but very sluggish to turn on if the phantom is already on. Is the Go pro charging from the Phantom?

Go pro charges but no live video and almost always freezes if I push record or any other button for that matter.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20