Is the FAA changing its own policy again?

Reaction score
http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/ ... wsId=17194

The FAA has announced approval of operations for six companies that film with flying cameras.
In my opinion though, creating a new law that does not yet exist.
The approval comes with each company having a fully licensed private pilot for the flying camera.
Excuse me? But I'm not aware of any new law that requires an owner of a remote controlled aircraft to have such a license.
The companies also agreed to fly within the confines of the "sterile area", what ever that means, line of sight and never at night.

It seems to me that the FAA is still demanding that drone operators follow their strict guidelines or be fined under non existing laws.
There are no laws in the USA requiring an RCMA pilot to have a valid pilot's license. So why is the FAA making commercial business's get a licensed pilot?

The way I see it is they are applying an exemption to a regulation that doesn't apply to us in the first place. That they are trying to apply airplane rules to drones was and still is the key farcical component of the matter. I love that the exemption requires a current medical certificate.

And the FAA only did this because they needed to be seen doing something. We're all waiting for the FAA to perform and instead of giving us a performance, they just sit there. And as we grow impatient, they burp in our face with this exemption and then stare at us inquisitively as if surprised that we're not fully satisfied with it.

The FAA (and the CAA in the UK) do not stand a chance in keeping up with technology. This area of tech is evolving so fast that by the time they think they have nailed down legislation/rules/laws another piece of kit hits the market and it throws the whole arena into disarray/ambiguity again.

Case in point is this week the announcement that wrist mounted drones are being/have been developed that will fly off your wrist strap at the click of a button, hover, take a selfie and then fly back to you!

Do you really believe that the FAA/CAA are going to be able to cope or police things like that?

With regards to the film industry exemption - these have been used for a number of years now and would continue to be used irrespective of what the FAA came out with. It was a case of fait accompli and if the regulators didn't like it then too bad because the multi million dollar film industry would have and has ignored any bans in any case.

Exciting times ahead me thinks (but not for the pen pushing bureaucratic sphincter police).

Editor, you nailed it. Enough said. Ignore these clowns and move on. We will colonize mars before any government agency can get in front of this so called "concern".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers