Is the 500m overall height limit enforced by the app or by the firmware?

Unsure, other than it says "max altitude reached" when RTH canceled. RTH can be re engaged. As far as descending back to 500m that would have to be tested.

I also find the 500m limit crippling at times. There are now lots of interesting flights I'd like to do that would require 600-1000m above takeoff, of course staying only a couple hundred feet above ground.

According to the developer, the Litchi app for P3 can go to 6000m above takeoff but I am not going to try it until the real version is out. I have flown my P3 with one non-DJI app but since it doesn't set the max and previously I flew with DJI Pilot, I was still limited to 500m above takeoff.

Yes you can go higher using RTH and I was able to get to 700m that way once flying next to a mountain but it is such a pain, doesn't give you full control, is slower etc. I had to fight RTH as well and ended up too far from the mountain - and I needed another 100-150m anyway so just gave up. This method doesn't really work for getting the shots you would want in real life.

Yes we are basically beta testers and although I don't mind that, I sure am looking forward to the version of DJI firmware that allows Litchi and others to release their apps.

Interesting, thanks for your input. The Litichi news gives me a bit of hope.

With regards to your last point - what do you mean a version of firmware that allows Litichi to release? Sorry, I'm out of the loop with the SDK stuff. What is holding them back now? I thought you mentioned you flew with a non-DJI app, so there must be some that work?

Cheers

I read this whole thread and it appears Litchi is only available on Android? I know, dumb question. [emoji10]
EDIT: found my answer over on the google forums

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks for your input. The Litichi news gives me a bit of hope.

With regards to your last point - what do you mean a version of firmware that allows Litichi to release? Sorry, I'm out of the loop with the SDK stuff. What is holding them back now? I thought you mentioned you flew with a non-DJI app, so there must be some that work?

Cheers

When I asked how soon a non-beta version of the Litchi app would be available the developer said:

The first requirement for that would be a firmware released by DJI, we don't know when that will happen.

I'm pretty sure that 3rd party apps can't go any higher either.

Even if they had the ability to circumvent this limit, DJI would just throw them out of the developer program and possibly sue them for infringing on the terms of the developer program. DJI wants this limit and they're not just going to give people sdk level 2 access so they can circumvent what DJI wants.

500m hight limit got to be in the controller.
Apps only doing communication/Display between you and the bird.

I'm pretty sure that 3rd party apps can't go any higher either.

Even if they had the ability to circumvent this limit, DJI would just throw them out of the developer program and possibly sue them for infringing on the terms of the developer program. DJI wants this limit and they're not just going to give people sdk level 2 access so they can circumvent what DJI wants.

You are assuming this is the terms of the developer agreement? I signed up as a developer to get the simulator package and did not see this.

Litchi's max elevation is around 19,500' If you try to go 20,000' it gives you an error.

You are assuming this is the terms of the developer agreement? I signed up as a developer to get the simulator package and did not see this.

Litchi's max elevation is around 19,500' If you try to go 20,000' it gives you an error.

So are you saying you can confirm that the alpha/P3 version of Litichi permits flight above 500m? Or is that just in the sim?

I cant confirm it as I have no way to safely fly that high.

I do know that the SDK apps will allow you to enter and accept the value once the bird is connected.

Couple things to note. In the past DJI has allowed 3dr part developers to exceed distance limits beyond what the DJI app will allow. This I can confirm.

The current Litchi app allows channels outside the Legal 13-20 DJI channels. This I can also confirm.

So I really do not think they are trying to police developers on limits.
2015-08-20_7-28-25.jpg

Reactions: SENC and Trumple
From the developer of Litchi.

"We also added a maximum altitude setting allowing you to set the limit far beyond dji pilot's 500m."

Reactions: Trumple
I can safely fly over 500m when I fly over mountains and I will confirm that Litchi will permit this once I have more confidence in the app itself. It is still in Alpha and so I am leery flying further away using Litchi then I can safely recover manually.

It seems many people are just stating their opinion as fact without knowing. I'm not a developer but the option to fly higher than 500m is a topic I have a vested interest in as my primary interest in using my P3P is in filming mountain scenes. Litchi shows the most promise for me.

From the developer of Litchi.

"We also added a maximum altitude setting allowing you to set the limit far beyond dji pilot's 500m."

That's excellent news. Thanks for your input. Your previous post about DJI permitting developers to exceed limits is kind of what I expected them to do. Nice to know that's their general approach.

I think they just want to prevent people from buying it, ripping it out the box, whacking the limit as high as it will go, and flying to the stratosphere without caring for local laws. Chances are, if you're looking for a 3rd party app, you've already done your research.

Reactions: bbfpv
I think they just want to prevent people from buying it, ripping it out the box, whacking the limit as high as it will go, and flying to the stratosphere without caring for local laws. Chances are, if you're looking for a 3rd party app, you've already done your research.

My thoughts exactly.

Playing around with DJI Go and Litchi I may have found a work around for the 500 meter height limit in the DJI app!

I set the altitude limit in Litchi to 3000 feet. I then powered everything off. I then powered everything back on and launched DJI Go. When reviewing the settings within DJI Go I noticed that the altitude limit was 914 meters!!!

I have not actually flown above the 500 meter limit yet, but if I can do it in the DJI Go app, it is something I can do this weekend to confirm that this is real.

Reactions: nhoover and Trumple
Playing around with DJI Go and Litchi I may have found a work around for the 500 meter height limit in the DJI app!

I set the altitude limit in Litchi to 3000 feet. I then powered everything off. I then powered everything back on and launched DJI Go. When reviewing the settings within DJI Go I noticed that the altitude limit was 914 meters!!!

I have not actually flown above the 500 meter limit yet, but if I can do it in the DJI Go app, it is something I can do this weekend to confirm that this is real.

Ahh, genius! Good thinking!

I'd love to hear the results of your test, if that works then that's a great workaround.

Cheers

I have found it a problem as well - flying from down in a valley to the top of a mountain I can still see the moving Phantom white against the green but there is very little height to spare when you get to the top of the mountain.

The whole line of sight thing is so annoying. The rules were brought in many years ago for RC planes long before they had cameras fitted.

I find it much safer watching the screen than trying to watch the Phantom. The law says unassisted line of sight - ie no binoculars either - I think there would be a valid challenge in that being discriminatory against the visually impaired!

Stu[id old laws!

Then again in the USA you can fly in the middle of San Fransisco but not in a million acre National park!!!

It's not a law it's a recommendation / suggested guideline. Regardless though those guidelines need working on.

It's not a law it's a recommendation / suggested guideline. Regardless though those guidelines need working on.

That is great - as long as you behave responsibly and remain in control you should be fine then.

Of course you still have the problem that you mustnt fly within 50m of any structure except for takeoff and landing. That means anyone in the UK flying under a bridge or something could in theory be prosecuted - is that correct?

Why don't you climb up the mountain and fly down it :) don't think there is any limit flying lower than take off point.

That is great - as long as you behave responsibly and remain in control you should be fine then.

Of course you still have the problem that you mustnt fly within 50m of any structure except for takeoff and landing. That means anyone in the UK flying under a bridge or something could in theory be prosecuted - is that correct?

I think he was talking about USA laws. But yes here in the UK, we cannot fly within 50m of structures or 150m of congested areas. And it's not just theory, either - this is a case where a man was fined for flying near a bridge, even though he had totally lost contact with his aircraft:
http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?appid=7&mode=detail&nid=2348

Coincidentally, while it was flying away by itself, it also flew over a nuclear military site. He was fined £800 in total. Here's the video of said flight:

Interestingly, they didn't choose to prosecute for flying within 50m of those boats or within 150m of what I would consider a congested area, or BVLOS. But I guess they thought he got it bad enough anyway. He had to pay ~£4k in the end, due to court costs. Could have been a lot worse - that near miss with the bridge could have ended up in disaster.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20