Is that a swollen battery?

Reaction score
Hi!

I just brought a second hand phantom 2 V3 which came with 2 batteries.
The first one is ok but I am not sure of the 2 one which seems a bit swollen (the "swollen" part is a bit soft). I search (a lot) the forum but as I am still in doubt I prefer to ask. Here are some picture

the "good" one

the "puffy" one

what do you think? Is it safe to use it?

Also, the phantom software is 3.8. Will it accept after market battery?

Thank you for your help!

By looking at the pics it seems fine. They will 'puff up' like a bag of microwave vegetables when they are failing. :)
Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. The individual cells that make up the battery are in a bag which can swell when damaged.
All that said read up on LiPos as they are not like your everyday alkaline common household variety.
I store mine in a metal ammo container and NEVER leave it unattended while charging.

Thank you for your answer. I will keep on eye on it as it may be a sign that it's reaching the end of it's life, but I feel more confident using it.
And as you, after reading the forum, I store the batteries in a metal container, in a cool, dark place outside the house. Can't take enough caution with this material!

When the percent of life gets to 90%, I don't use them any more for risky flights, such as over water. They will start to "soft fail", that is they start to Auto Land at about 60 percent of charge.

So soon?... 20 cycle so, less than 1 year. I am a bit disappointed... But thank you for your advice! :)

So soon?... 20 cycle so, less than 1 year. I am a bit disappointed... But thank you for your advice! :)
Short life like that is typically mis-use of the charging procedure over time. These batteries do not like to be left under-charged or over-charged for long periods of time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1