Is something wrong with my 4K camera/gimbal?

Reaction score
The video doesn't seem to be steady. If you watch the video, towards the top seems to be shaky. Any feedback/advice?

Maybe just the propellers?

Have you removed the foam packaging from the gimbal?

Also... your expression as you fly it at yourself is priceless! :D

Reactions: JinForTheWin
That's rolling shutter effect (jello effect), Jin. It happens when the frequency of the vibrations of the quadcopter are similar to the frequency of the shutter speed on the camera.

Assuming you have removed all the packaging from the gimbal, the only way to fix this is to slow the shutter speed of the camera. As this is not a setting you can change in this type of camera, you have to reduce the amount of light getting to the sensor so it slows down by itself. To do this you use a ND (Neutral Density) filter. You can find a list of all the available P3 ND filters here.

If you can afford a set, get a set. If you only get one, you should get a ND16 (IMO).

You mean the red sticker that clearly says to "Remove before flight"??

Nope - I didn't remove...LMAO! Thanks for your help. :)
That's rolling shutter effect (jello effect), Jin. It happens when the frequency of the vibrations of the quadcopter are similar to the frequency of the shutter speed on the camera.

Assuming you have removed all the packaging from the gimbal, the only way to fix this is to slow the shutter speed of the camera. As this is not a setting you can change in this type of camera, you have to reduce the amount of light getting to the sensor so it slows down by itself. To do this you use a ND (Neutral Density) filter. You can find a list of all the available P3 ND filters here.

If you can afford a set, get a set. If you only get one, you should get a ND16 (IMO).

Thanks - It was the foam packaging on the gimbal. I do have ND filters too though :)

You mean the red sticker that clearly says to "Remove before flight"??

Nope - I didn't remove...LMAO! Thanks for your help. :)

Thanks - It was the foam packaging on the gimbal. I do have ND filters too though :)

If it makes you feel any better, I missed this little piece of foam too. What a difference it makes without. ;)

It's not correct to say that you can't change the shutter speed......if you go into manual settings in the camera menu you have the option of setting between 1/25th and 1/8000th. The best setting to use is a shutter speed of twice the frame rate, and balance the exposure by use of ISO and ND filters.

Reactions: With The Birds
Well ok, I'll be more specific...
Without an aperture, you can't change the shutter speed nearly enough without overexposing to mitigate rolling shutter on a bright, sunny day without an ND filter.

Trying to achieve a shutter speed of 2x frame rate is potentially good advice, but that's more about creating some motion blur for more a more film-like result, which is not necessarily everyone's intent. And, is often not achievable without a selection of pretty dark ND filters. Any mid-range ND filter (ND8 or so) should largely eliminate rolling shutter in most situations. but your shutter speed will still be much greater than 1/60 (2x 30fps)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl