Is setting Return To Controller in Home Point Settings the best for flying from boats?

Reaction score
Hi -

I am going to be flying my Phantom from a moving fishing boat on Lake Tahoe. In the event of a RTH incident, I am trying to assure that the Phantom will return to my position, which will be moving around, rather than to where it took off or to a distant shoreline on a big Lake. Am I correct to assume that the solution is to set the RTH feature to the Controller in the Home Point Settings, and to turn off Course Lock for low flying? My biggest concern is something unexpected happening and the Phantom flying away to some distant point without me. Anyone with any other advice would be welcome. Is return to the controller location a reliable failsafe?

Attachments

• 12513725_10209159681133221_3117276074266835489_o.jpg
    12513725_10209159681133221_3117276074266835489_o.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,079
Am I correct to assume that the solution is to set the RTH feature to the Controller in the Home Point Settings
Your Phantom will always RTH to the last marked home point. If you have a GPS receiver in your mobile device, you can manually reset the home point in DJI GO (from the section shown in your screenshot). You'll need to continuously reset the home point as you move though. There is no way to automatically update the home point after takeoff.

I am using an iPhone6+ with GPS, but please help me clarify what the difference is in those two settings on the screenshot attached?

The icon on the left sets the home point to your Phantom's current location. The icon on the right sets the home point to your mobile device's current location.

Reactions: PD1015
Ahhh. Got it, thank you. So if the Phantom were to suddenly act erratic, I should quickly go to this menu and update as the mobile device's location? If the Phantom has already started to leave the area heading for an earlier home point, would this work to override it?

If the Phantom has already started to leave the area heading for an earlier home point, would this work to override it?
I have never tried updating the home point after the Phantom has started returning home. I'm assuming it will continue to the previous home point instead of stopping and heading to the new home point. You could certainly test this out on the ground somewhere to see what happens.

I suppose it would be wiser to just override RTH and fly it back towards me if possible. I'm just trying to prepare for worst case scenarios since I'll be over water in fast moving conditions. Thanks.

I suppose it would be wiser to just override RTH and fly it back towards me if possible. I'm just trying to prepare for worst case scenarios since I'll be over water in fast moving conditions. Thanks.
Make sure that you are familiar with all the operations you might use on the water before you get out on the water.
Try them out in a big open area on land first.
You'll probably have to hand catch on a boat and maybe hand launch as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic