Is really the Hero a good camera for fpv ?

Reaction score
I have changed today my old fpv camera and moved to feed video to the 5.8 ghz tx through my hero because i thought i was goint to get better video quality on fat shark googles. However not only i did not see any improvement i lso notice that Gopro has a big bar under which says wifi off and another big bar on top which is the recording time .. is there any way in the camera menu to remove those top and bottom bars and utilise full the screen for video ?

rilot said:
Shoot in 1440p and turn off the OSD in the menu.

perfect , perfect , perfect , menu is gone ..... but ,,,,,,, :( now with 1440 ,, media player on my computer does not play the
new recorded videos .... any ideas ?

1440p won't play? Wow, must be a really old PC you're using.
Edit the videos down to 1080p in Cineform GoPro Studio.

Gizmo3000 said:
I personally prefer having the OSD, helps to gauge flight time, shows recording settings plus shows that you ARE recording.
+1
You could also use 960p to maintain the 4:3 aspect ratio.
I have no problem with the way the screen looks on my FatShark goggles when using the HERO 3 black in 1080p,and the image quality is way better than the FS camera.

1440p will give you a 4:3 ratio which is prefered for fpv as you see more top and bottom. This can easily be played using vlc player. Editing if you crop it you get regular 1080p and you can move the crop up or down to adjust framing. 1440p is 1920x1440 and 1080p is 1920x1080 so the onky difference is you see more in 1440p.

I also set my screen to 4:3 mode so it doesnt distort the image because unfortunately most if not all vtx send a 4:3 sd signal. This means that even if you shoot in wide 16:9 format the output will be in 4:3 and letterboxed on the screen. The OSD I keep on as I use it as a basic timer and also make sure I pressed record but if you have another osd youd want to turn this off.

In 1440p30 the image is much better then the higher frame rates so I stick to that mode for my fpv flying. If I had a gimbal id probably go back to shooting 2.7k30 but also get a second fpv cam and have a switchable feed so I could watch either the gopro or other cam. Flying fpv off a gimbal wouod be tricky not seeing the pitch of the craft but for regular flying 1440p on a static mounted gopro works pretty good for fpv.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub