Is part 107 needed for this operation?

Reaction score
If you work for a company that makes components for manned and unmanned aircraft, and you use UAV to ONLY test your products to make sure they are all dialed in, do you need a part 107?
There is no money being exchanged at all from the UAV flying.
I don't think you do

I believe that would constitute the furtherance of a business, whether or not money changed hands, and therefore would require a certified Part 107 PIC to oversee the operation.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyerFocus
I believe that would constitute the furtherance of a business, whether or not money changed hands, and therefore would require a certified Part 107 PIC to oversee the operation. MSINGER or META4 will chime in if I'm wrong.

X2

I will have sift through part 107 regs [emoji849]
No amount of sifting is going to change the facts. You are either flying hobby, purely recreational and for personal enjoyment or you are flying under Part 107. There is no mention of money, commercial ops or doing so as part of your job, etc. no gray area here, have it be one or the other.

O I'm not in denial, i meant sift through regs as in gotta go decipher the "commercial" definition

You are either flying hobby, purely recreational and for personal enjoyment or you are flying under Part 107

Richard pretty much nailed it. Not a lot of room for interpretation.

Can't do it legally without a 107 ticket.
Get caught... not likely, but don't be in denial of what you're doing.

Can't do it legally without a 107 ticket.
Get caught... not likely, but don't be in denial of what you're doing.

Not in denial at all.. I actually just got my part 107, just wondering what this flight fell under since FAA stuff is pretty vague

Not in denial at all.. I actually just got my part 107, just wondering what this flight fell under since FAA stuff is pretty vague
Well, there your go then! With your Part 10 it's never really an issue. I pretty much consider all of my flying to be under Part 107, even if I am just flying for fun, and log them in the log book accordingly. Does eliminate some airport reporting, but more importantly, since any photo of video I take may have potential marketability, I never have to worry about the conditions under which I took it and no one can question if I was flying 'legally' when I snapped the footage. Being ****? Probably, but it sure will be comforting if the FAA ever does come calling!

Well, there your go then! With your Part 10 it's never really an issue. I pretty much consider all of my flying to be under Part 107, even if I am just flying for fun, and log them in the log book accordingly. Does eliminate some airport reporting, but more importantly, since any photo of video I take may have potential marketability, I never have to worry about the conditions under which I took it and no one can question if I was flying 'legally' when I snapped the footage. Being ****? Probably, but it sure will be comforting if the FAA ever does come calling!
that is a good angle to take!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31