Is p3p more finicky than p2v+?

Reaction score
I love my p3p, but I have the impression that preparation time with it is much longer than p2v+. Was wondering if others had observed the same.

Specifically I noticed:
1. In hot days video is a problem on iPad (latest). I used to fly my p2v+ in extreme hot days without any glitches.
2. More susceptible to compass errors.
3. I know this next one is stupid: but at least twice I could not fly it because I forgot to bring a cable to connect to the controller.
4. There are no spare batteries for the controller. And while I really like that it is charging, I had already an occurrence that it died and I could not fly anymore. Maybe their next controller also has a removable battery, such that we can get a spare.
5. Need to check battery cells during flight, something I never did before.

Alright, before you guys jump at me that I'm nitpicking. I am not complaining about the bird. It is amazing and I enjoy it thoroughly, but wifey did mention that I'm spending more time preparing than flying...

Last edited:
1. is a problem with your tablet - not the P3. Many tablets don't have temp problems.
2. The P3 compass is better - perhaps you mean you are giving it compass errors by inappropriate calibration?
3. Keep a spare cable in your pack along with a spare SD card or two.
4. The controller battery will last for more flights than you can do in a day

My experience is that the P3 is not more finicky than the P2 or that it takes longer to prepare.
It does keep a lock on the control signal though in a way that the P2 never could.

I don't think the P3 is more finicky, but it does take longer to set up than the P2.

1. Loading firmware. I never spent 25 minutes updating the P2, and the P3 tx. (sometimes) needs updating as well.

2. Re-logging on to the app. I'm not sure if this is just random, but every once in a while I have to enter my password when starting the app.

3. Going back through settings after firmware updates. Never had to do that with the P2. The P3, however, gets RTH settings changed, camera settings and battery settings to name a few.

4. Warm up time is much longer. I can launch my P2V + in less than half the time it takes for the P3 to warm up. I've done cold IMU calibration but it still takes several minutes to do it's thing.

5. The compass on the P3 is more sensitive and seems to require more calibrating than the P2, which I rarely calibrate.

That said, the P3 is amazing and worth a bit more time to get it in the air. It's a much more powerful and stable bird than prior Phantoms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31