Is P3 really faster, if so, why?

Reaction score
I'm an experienced P2 pilot reading posts on the P3. Some say the P3 is much faster, I don't have a need for speed, I am just technically interested in knowing how the P3 can be faster. While the P3 has lots of features over the P2, when it comes to speed, I would expect the P2 and P3 to be similar.

If the P3 is much fast, what exactly makes the P3 faster, motors, props, voltage?

I had a P2 until I upgraded to P3. It seems much faster, but I've checked the respective specs and they give the lie to that impression. Maybe it's the fact that the P3 has such an increased range that we can and therefore want to fly it further, so we tend to fly it faster.

I have no data to share, but if it is faster that means you can tilt it forward more and give more throttle = faster. Compared to a quad using DJI Naza M controller (same/similar to Phantom controller) the Phantoms are very "dumbed down". The (excess?) amount of built in stability in the Phantom is in the software of the Phantom controller and thus keeps one from really digging in on the controls. Also remember GPS mode is the most sluggish and ATTI will help speed things up a bit... and well, if you ever could get into full manual hold onto your hats!

I have both. The p3 Is faster, I am sure. It can easily keep up with a vehicle doing 50km. It certainly jumps of the ground quicker. More volts, different motors.

It does seem to have a lot more power. To the extent it can be twitchy to fly in Atti Mode.

It does seem to have a lot more power. To the extent it can be twitchy to fly in Atti Mode.
That is partly why I turned the braking down - it's reaction to releasing the stick is a bit OTT. Even releasing stick pressure slightly makes it attempt to imediately change the speed, hence the twitchyness.

I clocked over 50 mph a few days back which surprised me because I thought it was supposed to be limited to 35mph in GPS mode. Could a decent tail wind provide that much of a speed bump?

When you do CSC in mid-flight, both p2 and p3 are the same speeds in descent. I am sure the P1 and Inspire are just as fast - but I don't own either.
The P3 seems definitely faster - maybe lighter and its agility makes it feel faster...

I would have to agree with that! 32ft/sec/sec adds up pretty quickly until terminal velocity is reached, or the ground, whichever happens first.

Reactions: DrChris
I clocked over 50 mph a few days back which surprised me because I thought it was supposed to be limited to 35mph in GPS mode. Could a decent tail wind provide that much of a speed bump?

Definitely.

I would also say that the P3 is faster. I'm a very experienced P2 and P3 owner and honestly after flying the P3 i've yet to fly the P2 :D For those thinking about making that P3 purchase, don't hesitate because you won't be disappointed!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers