Is Nail Polish Safe for Plastic?

Reaction score
Hello I was wondering if nail polish is safe for the Phantom 3 Pro plastic? I used it for threadlock to install my prop guards. I heard Blue Loctite isn't good because it melts the plastic. I hope nail polish is safe.

How can I tell? I just used white nail polish. If the nail polish damaged it, will it happen quick and be noticeable?

Here's the front of the nail polish I used

Attachments

• 1452904290014-1276333710.jpg
    1452904290014-1276333710.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 906
True, try first on a piece of a plastic before using it as thread locker.

I used the nail polish a month ago when I had the Strong Arm's reinforcement plates on. Then I removed them and never applied any thread lock to the screws. Never saw any issues yet. Wouldn't it show by now if it ate through the plastic?

I thought fake fingernails were made of plastic, am I missing something here?

Reactions: Kevin Cabral
There are two effects of bad relations plastic to solvents :

1. Surface softening and it becomes sticky ... in extreme cases where a lot of solvent - can become fluid like. Acetone and MEK will do this.
2. Cracks in surface appear as it hardens and splits ... can even crack all way though if thin plastic .. but unlikely.

Both basically weaken the plastic.

Most Nail Polish have a form of Acetone or Ketone in them which is not good for most plastics. Conversations with chemists (I own a PetroChem lab company) - Nail Polish and common thread lock have similarities - use of solvents and carrier !!

Despite the few who argue with my way of using Threadlock - I have never had any failure or effect from it other than secure threads !! I have Blue threadlock ... it has no warning on the tube about plastics - nothing at all ... so i assume it may be plastic safe ... V-Tech Threadlocker Blue Medium Stength ....

I make sure that only a very small amount is applied to the bolt thread to lie INSIDE the threads ... if its a drop proud of the threads - I wick away with tissue. Bolt up and jobs a good'un.

But I never use for any bolt into plastic .. only into metal threaded inserts ... i try to ensure that no liquid is in contact with the plastic suroundings. But not always possible. So far even with bolts secured significant period - I have no evidence of damage / problem.

Nigel

Despite the few who argue with my way of using Threadlock - I have never had any failure or effect from it other than secure threads !! I have Blue threadlock ... it has no warning on the tube about plastics - nothing at all ... so i assume it may be plastic safe ... V-Tech Threadlocker Blue Medium Stength ....

I make sure that only a very small amount is applied to the bolt thread to lie INSIDE the threads ... if its a drop proud of the threads - I wick away with tissue. Bolt up and jobs a good'un.

But I never use for any bolt into plastic .. only into metal threaded inserts ... i try to ensure that no liquid is in contact with the plastic suroundings. But not always possible. So far even with bolts secured significant period - I have no evidence of damage / problem.

Nigel

Ditto for blue threadlocker... Used it forever and never had a problem. Use it sparingly and precisely where needed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj