Is my remote bricked?

Reaction score
Hello all. Earlier this summer I was about to fly and was forced to do a firmware upgrade. So I did so. Bird went fine, rc said it went smooth as well. Ever since I have not been able to get a connection as disconnected is always displayed. It links to the bird (green light on) and I can control the gimbal but can't start motors. It also doesn't allow me to enter camera view in the app. It appears as if the Rc doesn't see anything connected to it (apple only products so far). Sometimes I can trick it to get to the camera view which doesn't help much. The status stuff is all blank and shows version unknown etc etc. All blank essentially, so this lead me to point a finger at the firmware upgrade. I tried in the app - touch and hold the education symbol but that is all blank like nothing is connected. It doesn't allow me to download anything at all. I've tried numerous USB sticks (formatted different with only the bin file on it) and I can never get it to flash or change from a red power light.

I've tried different button combinations c1c2record and scroll button (hold the c1c2scroll and then press record after audio tone). Got the soft blue tried forcing app to do download still nothing there. Tried using USB sticks through this method. Still nothing.

I've tried flashing the Rc off the bird. Nothing. I have not tried this method with the remote in the soft blue state. Let me know if it's worth my Time. Prolly not.

Tomorrow I am going to try and use a friends android phone. In fact, I'm gonna have access to 3 different android phones if the first fails. I've read others have had more luck with android regarding saving the remote from this hopefully not bricked state ([emoji22]).

I'm just going to continue this post and assume tomorrow that the androids fail and appears same as iPad. Nothing -disconnected. I've lost a lot of hope with this Rc. So if above does indeed fail I plan on opening the remote because I'm outside my year warranty. Has anyone here heard about a switch upon opening it? I found the below instructions elsewhere but wanted to ask here if anyone thinks this is worth a shot. Sorry this is long and I appreciate all comments and thank you to whoever helps.

5468508c8bf4ed174a3c41e97c192b1c.jpg

Things I didn't mention:

Pro model p3, iPad mini 4 and iPhone 6s / iPhone 5s, all flawless flights, losing my mind, want mavic pro

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

sounds like the remote did not update. If the bird is updated but not the remote you get this result. I have several birds and remotes. some with new firmware some with old. If i try to link a bird with the new firmware with a remote with the old firmware this happens. Perhaps it is a bad remote. I have a couple for sale so let me know if you need one. I would send the one with the newer firmware

I had a similar issue when updating. I was using my iPhone 6s Plus. Couldn't get it to update and dji told me I'd have to ship it to them. I used an android device to try the update and it worked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Droneted
Thanks guys. I really hope it works. I'll be trying later tonight. Is there any use for the micro port on the controller? DJI assistant? Does that still have a use?

Ted- if this fails I may need to buy one from yah. I'm in Canada tho don't know if that's an issue. How much u think?

Well I have access to one android device here. Other people didn't show so only have this one. So I've tried all button combinations and still getting below. So pissed off and frustrated. Any other suggestions?? I'm gonna still try another android once I have access. When I plug the phone in it shows it's charging. At least it sees it. Good sign?

840a4dae87e4d6344b7306dec7d681af.jpg

Hello all. Earlier this summer I was about to fly and was forced to do a firmware upgrade. So I did so. Bird went fine, rc said it went smooth as well.
FW updates are always optional. What did you see that made you feel forced to do it?

Which FW version did you put on the SD card to update your AC? If it was earlier this summer as you noted, you may have an encryption mismatch if you went to 1.8 or later on your AC without also going to 1.6 or later on your RC at the same time.

I've tried different button combinations c1c2record and scroll button (hold the c1c2scroll and then press record after audio tone). Got the soft blue tried forcing app to do download still nothing there. Tried using USB sticks through this method. Still nothing.
We have often suggested the 4 button press method to allow the RC firmware to download again after a failed install. It has worked for many, but not for all. That being said, I have not heard the process as you described it with regards to a "tone."

If you are still up to trying something just in case, give it a try this way:

AC off, RC off, mobile device (with internet access) plugged into the RC with the USB cable, GO app closed.

Press these four buttons on the remote controller at the same time: C1, C2, Recording and the Scroll that adjusts ISO. Meanwhile, spare another finger to turn the remote controller on WITHOUT letting go of the other four buttons until the RC powers up. [See diagram below]

Then launch the GO app and you should be able to download and install the RC firmware again by following the steps in the app. You may need to close and open the GO app a few times (always with internet access) before the FW update options become enabled.

Once complete, let us know what FW versions you show now and we can proceed.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
Thanks for your reply Oso.

I can't be certain what the prompt said but it made me believe I had to perform the upgrade in order to fly. I wasn't able to start the motors and had numerous flawless flights before. Anyways wish I didn't do it. Live and learn.

I've tried that method about 500 times with all different firmware versions and several different USB sticks. Nothing Happens just red light. Pretty sure she's bricked and out of warranty. [emoji22]

Thanks for your reply Oso.

I can't be certain what the prompt said but it made me believe I had to perform the upgrade in order to fly. I wasn't able to start the motors and had numerous flawless flights before. Anyways wish I didn't do it. Live and learn.

I've tried that method about 500 times with all different firmware versions and several different USB sticks. Nothing Happens just red light. Pretty sure she's bricked and out of warranty. [emoji22]

Did you try it with a USB stick every time? Do you know that a USB stick will never work if your RC already has later than 1.32 installed?

Unfortunately, without knowing the current installed versions of your AC and RC, there are just too many different combinations of corrective steps. All we can do is guess.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I remember once I got it I did a firmware update to it via USB both the bird and Rc. Both said success. I'm not 100% certain it was possibly 1.4 tho. I got it late last August and did the newest firmware at that time.

Flew all the way to a couple months ago till I fudged it all up. lol.

Thanks for your help. I remember once I got it I did a firmware update to it via USB both the bird and Rc. Both said success. I'm not 100% certain it was possibly 1.4 tho. I got it late last August and did the newest firmware at that time.

Flew all the way to a couple months ago till I fudged it all up. lol.

If you had 1.4 (which added the intelligent flight modes) on your AC and your RC prior to the issue you are describing in the thread, then your RC is already updated beyond a point that allows updating via USB stick.

[Background - at launch, all RCs were updated via the USB port. Around the time that PILOT changed to GO, a FW update removed the ability for 300B RCs to use the USB port for updates and RC updates via the app became the only option. A short time later with the next FW update, 300A RCs also lost the ability to update via the USB port. Once those FW updates were installed, all RCs (300A, 300B, and now 300C) could only be updated via the app.]

Are you able to answer my earlier question about which FW version you recently used to successfully update the AC? This is important because as I noted there was an encryption change with AC FW 1.8 / RC FW 1.6. If you successfully updated to AC FW 1.8 or later, but your RC is still at 1.4, you certainly have an encryption mismatch and it will never work this way. The AC and the RC must both have versions that are pre encryption change -or- both have versions that are post encryption change.

If you did go to AC 1.8, your options are to downgrade your AC to lower than 1.8 or to upgrade your RC to 1.6 or later. This way the encryption matches. [Note that if you went to AC FW 1.9, you can only go down to 1.8 which is post encryption change. In this case, your only option would be to get your RC to 1.6 or later which is also post encryption change.]

You see why knowing the versions is so important?

Also, did you try the 4 button press method exactly as I outlined, or only the way you described in your original post?

Last edited:
Do you still have the txt file that was created on the sd card when you updated the AC? This will tell you what version you upgraded to.

If you have access to another remote with a known firmware version you could try pairing it with your AC. If it connects, you at least know that the AC is likely not the problem.

Reactions: Oso
If you had 1.4 (which added the intelligent flight modes) on your AC and your RC prior to the issue you are describing in the thread, then your RC is already updated beyond a point that allows updating via USB stick.

[Background - at launch, all RCs were updated via the USB port. Around the time that PILOT changed to GO, a FW update removed the ability for 300B RCs to use the USB port for updates and RC updates via the app became the only option. A short time later with the next FW update, 300A RCs also lost the ability to update via the USB port. Once those FW updates were installed, all RCs (300A, 300B, and now 300C) could only be updated via the app.]

Are you able to answer my earlier question about which FW version you recently used to successfully update the AC? This is important because as I noted there was an encryption change with AC FW 1.8 / RC FW 1.6. If you successfully updated to AC FW 1.8 or later, but your RC is still at 1.4, you certainly have an encryption mismatch and it will never work this way. The AC and the RC must both have versions that are pre encryption change -or- both have versions that are post encryption change.

If you did go to AC 1.8, your options are to downgrade your AC to lower than 1.8 or to upgrade your RC to 1.6 or later. This way the encryption matches. [Note that if you went to AC FW 1.9, you can only go down to 1.8 which is post encryption change. In this case, your only option would be to get your RC to 1.6 or later which is also post encryption change.]

You see why knowing the versions is so important?

Also, did you try the 4 button press method exactly as I outlined, or only the way you described in your original post?

thanks again for reply! To be honest I can't be 100% certain as to what firmware I put on back last august. I have the 1.3 file on my desktop with around the date I got it though. When the event did happen at the in laws I updated the bird with the micro and I can't be sure what I attempted to do with the remote or what version for that matter. Whether it was by the usb or attempting to do it by the app. I do remember getting a prompt for it. Just can't remember those exact moments because I was so frustrated lol.

I understand what your saying about the encryption change it makes sense. So what do you recommend I try first? I'm almost certain the AC is updated to the newest firmware. So I believe I would downgrade the AC first to 1.8. What do I do then to get the RC going if it is indeed on 1.4 then?

I have tried the 4 button press method exactly with the exception of my RC was not 100% it was around 75%. I will try again here shortly after its fully charged.

I have successfully downgraded the AC to 1.8. Have not been successful in getting the remote going yet. What do you recommend -oso?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan