Is my NEW (sealed) Phantom 4 used?

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just purchased a bran new (sealed) P4 and as I'm cut the seal and open the p4 for the first time I noticed that it didn't have any plastic covering the lens (WHAT!!) or the little tabs covering the sensor. Also the camera lens has a little something on it.

It was sealed when i got it and it was picked up in person from a very well known drone supplier in So Cali.

Ive seen unboxing videos of the p4 with the plastic protector on the lens and tabs on the sensors.. but mine did not come with that.

Is DJI not doing that any more?!?

I had to take one of my P4's back on release day at apple, The first one I got didn't have the stickers and tabs, the second one did. DJI is known for poor quality control, they are pumping these things out. If you connect to DJI Go and it doesn't prompt you to activate it that is how you know that it is used. If you still have to activate it, it has never been flown before.

Is DJI not doing that any more?!?
I ordered mine about 1 minute after DJI posted the Phantom 4 on their website. Mine did not have plastic covering the sensors either.

Reactions: Drone Master
My box was sealed and I did not have any plastics on any lens or any sensors, it had the prop install stickers that's all. The bird did not even have a finger print on it and without any visible defects what so ever. The bird is in a case and it really doesn't need any stickers. I'm pretty sure your bird is new.

Purchased mines from a authorized dealer. He gave me the whole package still in the original shipping box. Both the P4 box and carrying case still had seals on, the camera I remember didn't have any seal but there was one seal I did have to remove from the gimbal. Controller and everything else were still wrapped. The P4 itself looks flawless no signs of use.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I ordered mine about 1 minute after DJI posted the Phantom 4 on their website. Mine did not have plastic covering the sensors either.
Mine didn't have them either.

It means nothing. The first one I saw had them, mine didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

None on mine, 2 of them.

Hell, I bought a new Legend v20 bass boat eleven months ago, picked it up from the factory, it was MORE used than one I could've bought on Craig's list. 73,000.00 POS.
moral of this story is never buy a legend boat!

Did the boat have a leveled horizon and clear pictures?

There is info elsewhere on this issue. The first p4's had all the stickers on them, they also didn't have the the camera protector alignment lines on the bottom of the landing legs. I think it just means you got a newer build.

The first p4's had all the stickers on them, they also didn't have the the camera protector alignment lines on the bottom of the landing legs.
FWIW, I ordered two has soon as DJI started selling them. One had lines on the landing gear and the other did not.

Reactions: daytona125
So I did have to register it, I'm guessing it's just like the later models.
Just took it for its first flight,everything went great. Smooth and super clear video signal at a mile out..
I didn't update it but am on the newest version of the go app. And all is good..
The recorded video on my iPad is really clear.. Way better then my p3.

It's on 1.1.3

FWIW, I ordered two has soon as DJI started selling them. One had lines on the landing gear and the other did not.
Mine has the markers for the gimbal clamp position. It's still easy enough to center though. Just mark the LG with a marker to help center the P4 gimbal clamp with out the factory markers.

Last edited:
Reactions: daytona125
So I did have to register it, I'm guessing it's just like the later models.
Just took it for its first flight,everything went great. Smooth and super clear video signal at a mile out..
I didn't update it but am on the newest version of the go app. And all is good..
The recorded video on my iPad is really clear.. Way better then my p3.

It's on 1.1.3
You can see when your Phantom 4 was made, by checking your SD card for the date of the folders created (provided you havn't formated the SD card before use)

There are 2 revisions, one with the markings and one with out.

The later phantoms did not have any plastic on the front cameras.

However, there should be a little bit of plastic of the DJI logo on top?

Last edited:
Reactions: Drone Master

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl