is Litchi wise to stop people using the software across their different devices without paying ?

Reaction score
I downloaded Litchi using my iPhone but having used it for a few weeks I think I would prefer to use it with a larger tablet and I have one in the form of a 10" alcatel unit lying around the workshop but to use litchi I have to pay again.

This doesn't sound right IMO, it isn't as if they have to supply new equipment, its a simple download key and most companies do not work like this.
Why would they do this (other than for a financial reason of course) ?

I don't think "it's a simple download key"... you are talking about the same software written for different platforms. It's more like Fifa 2016 for Xbox and PS4

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Not really, because as drone users it isn't out of the norm to run different platforms, for example and iPhone for making calls and a windows tablet for home, or a windows based phone for calls and an iPad for home.

If you use a games platform I would suggest that it is more common to stick with a certain platform than it is to have an overall platform for all of your computing needs especially when so many people will have a work mobile phone that they use for pleasure which only adds to the mix and as for the key in mentioned, it really is that simple because many softwares allow you to download for a single fee across your platforms.
Once the software is made, it is only a key to open them across devices and stops a lot of the code breaking and cracking methods people look for.

Not really, because as drone users it isn't out of the norm to run different platforms, for example and iPhone for making calls and a windows tablet for home, or a windows based phone for calls and an iPad for home.

If you use a games platform I would suggest that it is more common to stick with a certain platform than it is to have an overall platform for all of your computing needs especially when so many people will have a work mobile phone that they use for pleasure which only adds to the mix and as for the key in mentioned, it really is that simple because many softwares allow you to download for a single fee across your platforms.
Once the software is made, it is only a key to open them across devices and stops a lot of the code breaking and cracking methods people look for.
I guess you answered your own question in a way
"I would suggest that it is more common to stick with a certain platform than it is to have an overall platform "
your switching from Iphone to an Android.
As for programing there is a lot of different ways that the software company charges. some are only a lease for so long.
Going from Iphone to an Android need different programming to work with the hardware in each device.
I know it does not sound fair but please tell me what is any more. Litchi company is here to make some money just like DJI or even Microsoft ( I thought I would throw that in).

I've seen this argument before. I purchased Litchi on my Android Note 4, never used it as I ended up with an iPad pro for flying my P4. I bought it twice and was dissapointed having to do so. Imagin if I had to by two of every paid software package; one for the laptop and another for the desktop.

There are users here who have to switch devices due to compatibility problems; I've used my phone, Samsung Tab 2, and now iPad. Only the iPad has proven up to the task for me. Your mileage may vary. When it does I hope you don't have to re-purchase your software.

I think my son should upgrade his 4 year old iPhone to the much better Samsung Galaxy S7, don't you?

NoCo Drones

Please remember that when you purchased the IOS version of the app it was via the Apple App Store, thus its an entirely separate purchase than the Android App. Of course you can use the IOS version across multiple Apple devices (i.e. iPhone & iPad) without purchasing it again.

When you buy Fifa for your Xbox do you expect it to work on your Ps4? No, so why would android vs iOS be any different..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: phxbird57
I've seen this argument before. I purchased Litchi on my Android Note 4, never used it as I ended up with an iPad pro for flying my P4. I bought it twice and was dissapointed having to do so. Imagin if I had to by two of every paid software package; one for the laptop and another for the desktop.

There are users here who have to switch devices due to compatibility problems; I've used my phone, Samsung Tab 2, and now iPad. Only the iPad has proven up to the task for me. Your mileage may vary. When it does I hope you don't have to re-purchase your software.

I think my son should upgrade his 4 year old iPhone to the much better Samsung Galaxy S7, don't you?

NoCo Drones

I don't have to buy two pkgs for my MacBook Pro and my iMac. But if switched to a Windows 10 PC, no one is going to give me their Windows versions for free.

As someone else said, you changed platforms and OS's. It is standard industry practice.

Reactions: konidair
It does not work the way you mentioned. I'd say 99.9999% to 100% of the apps out there that charge, charge separate or each platform. There is a _very_ good reason for this.... each require that the developer create a unique and independent app for each OS. So why should they not charge for each one. They spend countless hours on the Android version and they should be paid for that. They then spent countless hours on the iOS and they should be paid for that as well. Lastly, they then need to pay Google when someone buys the Android version and pay Apple when someone buys the iOS version.

It's common, VERY common for a company to get paid for software for different platforms. Windows vs Mac.... Xbox vs Playstation . . . we pay for EACH version of the software and some of us may buy the same software (game) for all 4 of our game consoles. If you wanna play you've gotta pay.

Each platform requires a whole different set of programming and testing. It's not simply a matter of them writing a single program and "labeling" it for multiple platforms. Each one is very different.

To expect a company to do half of their work fro free is unrealistic to say the least. They have expenses and a business to keep running just like the rest of us. To expect "fair compensation" for their work is really not a bad thing for a company to do.

Reactions: CThruU and konidair
iOS and android have different databases for storing users credentials and thus same logins may correspond to two different identities. That's why even if app builder wants to make one time sale to one user, he will not have a way to check if the user is same on different platforms.

It has always been like this

As many others have already stated, I'm afraid you are wrong :(

I seem to remember reading a thread here that said Litchi would refund you on one platform if you moved to another. There may have been some requirements for this, but I believe you need to contact Litchi to find out.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie