Is Lightbridge on the P4P really OCCUSYNC?

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity.

I started reading the P4P manual this am (ordered one yesterday). At the start is a para that goes on about the HD video downlink being an "enhanced version of DJI Lightbridge". Is that continuity code for the P4P actually having the same video downlink as the purportedly superior Occusync? (And presumably in the new racing drones)?

No, it's different. The controllers between Mavic (Ocu-Sync) and P4P (Enhanced Lightbridge) are not compatible. However, both use 2.4 and 5.8Ghz in a similar form of Lightbridge technology. It's interesting that Lightbridge has been splintered into 5 different types that are incompatible with each other. It appears DJI has competing engineering departments that have no edict to have compatibility.

Lightbridge 1 = Inspire 1, Phantom 3, Phantom 4
Lightbridge 2 = High end Matrice M600, M200 and custom apps (1080P with 50ms latency, released Oct 2015)
Lightbridge 2.1 (this is my name since DJI doesn't give a name) = P4P, P4P+
Lightbridge 2.2 = Inspire 2 (Supports 2 simultaneous video feeds to 1 receiver. 1 camera that points forward, 1 from the 360 rotating gimbal camera)
Ocu-Sync = Mavic (Supports multiple wireless video receivers)

At the CES show in January, DJI demonstrated the Mavic's ability to wirelessly connect to another video receiver (RoboMaster), which physically connected via HDMI to display LIVE 1080P drone video on a big TV screen, simultaneously while it was feeding the same video LIVE to the Mavic controller/display like normal. Ocu-Sync allows multiple receivers for video, unlike WiFi technology that is point to point (due to TCP/IP protocol). WiFi cannot connect to multiple receivers. DJI said the P4P and Inspire cannot do that, for whatever reason, because it's not Ocu-Sync. To display live drone video on a TV with P4P or Inspire you must use the HDMI output on the RC, so the controller must be physically attached to the TV by an HDMI cable.

I expect this exclusive unique ability of multiple wireless video connections from the craft to ground will be the secret sauce to DJI's upcoming wireless GOGGLES for the Mavic, which are due to be released any time, most likely at NAB, LasVegas in April. It's going to be interesting to let me wife wear the goggles while I fly my Mavic with an iPadMini, and she could be inside the car or blocks away. The only way to use goggles with P4P or Inspire is through a PHYSICAL HDMI wire connection to the RC.

I've asked DJI about the RoboMaster receiver, but they act ignorant about it. This "RoboMaster" brand is associated with a robotics website that DJI apparently sponsors in China. When I ask DJI where to buy this receiver, they say they have no knowledge of it. I'm hoping at some point DJI sells that wireless receiver, as this would bring a lot more value to my Mavic. Just imagine the entertainment possibilities.

Last edited:
No, it's different. The controllers between Mavic (Ocu-Sync) and P4P (Enhanced Lightbridge) are not compatible. However, both use 2.4 and 5.8Ghz in a similar form of Lightbridge technology. It's interesting that Lightbridge has been splintered into 5 different types that are incompatible with each other. It appears DJI has competing engineering departments that have not edict to provide compatibility.

Lightbridge 1 = Inspire 1, Phantom 3, Phantom 4
Lightbridge 2 = High end Matrice M600, M200 and custom apps (1080P with 50ms latency, released Oct 2015)
Lightbridge 2.1 (this is my name since DJI doesn't give a name) = P4P, P4P+
Lightbridge 2.2 = Inspire 2 (Supports 2 simultaneous video feeds, 1 camera that points forward, 1 from the 360 rotating gimbal camera)
Ocu-Sync = Mavic

At CES in January DJI demonstrated the Mavic's ability to wirelessly connect to another video receiver (RoboMaster), which physically connected via HDMI to display LIVE 1080P drone video on a big TV screen, simultaneously while it was feeding the same video LIVE to the Mavic controller/display like normal. Ocu-Sync allows multiple receivers for video, unlike WiFi technology that is point to point (due to TCP/IP protocol). WiFi cannot connect to multiple receivers. DJI said the P4P and Inspire cannot do that, for whatever reason, because it's not Ocu-Sync. To display live drone video on a TV with P4P or Inspire you must use the HDMI output on the RC, and controller must be physically attached to the TV by an HDMI cable. I'm sure this wireless multiple point connection will be the secret sauce to DJI's upcoming wireless GOGGLES for the Mavic, which are due to be released any time, most likely at NAB, LasVegas in April. The only way to use goggles with P4P or Inspire is through a PHYSICAL HDMI wire connection to the RC.

I've asked DJI about the RoboMaster receiver, but they act ignorant about it. This brand is connected to a robotics website that DJI apparently sponsors in China. When I ask DJI where to buy this receiver, they say they have no knowledge of it. I'm hoping at some point DJI sells that wireless receiver, as this would bring a lot more value to my Mavic.
Great info John! Can't wait to see what else they release at the NAB Show in Vegas in April. Hoping the Crystal Sky is out! See ya there hopefully John. Really appreciate your knowledge here always!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic