Is it worth picking up?

Reaction score
Is it worth picking up a phantom 1? Just the aircraft no rc or charger. I already have a p3a. Also what would one be worth and are parts still available reasonably

Hey Sean, it depends on the price. If it's a good deal for the bird alone, then you could pick up an RC and charger on Ebay really cheap and then have a backup if your P3 is ever down for any reason.

Thanks for the info. Any idea what one is worth now? Have seen pics and it looks like an airworthy aircraft. No camera mount. Just the bird.

Sure man, the cheapest I've seen is around $350 for the entire setup, ready to fly. I'm sure the bird alone could be found used at Ebay, just be careful and make sure it's a 100% money back offer. I bought a used 1.1.1 back in March of 2015 after an unrecoverable crash, and it's still going strong. I just now started learning manual mode, and it's a blast!!! Good luck finding a solo bird and stop back by if you need help setting up the RC (binding).

I think at some point ($200-$300) NazaM and salvage items (Motors/ESC) become worth enough that you’re not gonna lose much money in that cost range.

FWIW, I bought my naked P1 with 3 battery packs off Craigslist about 1 year ago. Seller asking $400 and B&H was running new for $350. I was gonna do the later but with the extra batteries and I could have it same day, once he recognized the dip in used pricing, he sold me the used one for $300. No regrets.

But in today’s climate/marketplace, P2 Visions and P3’s abound at good prices so you gotta weigh if P1 (self-tightening props, 7ch) and then adding Gimbal, GoPro, VTX would be worth the trouble/expense?

I already had Hero2 so I just added $40 eBay Gimbal, $40 Amazon 5.8Ghz Vtx/rx, bunch of props, more battery packs. Already had a good RC Charger (get one if you don’t).

For my purposes, I’m totally happy with the outfitted P1. I like basic battery pack systems that I’m already accustomed to. I fly FW (fixed wing), btw. I also like being “free” to configure my bird the way I need/want to fly it.

For example, I can load it up with dual battery packs, camera, gimbal, VTX along with bigger props and capture some pretty smooth and decent amateur aerial video. Add Hero3/4 and step up another level.

I can also strip it down to an FPV VTX, put the stock props back on and fly it more as a “sport” quad.

But, my needs are kinda different since I’m already heavily invested into 2.2Ah 3S battery packs. Plus I also just don’t like P2/P3 supposedly “smart” battery packs. The last thing any pilot wants is a BMS/PCM shutting off mid-flight. I’ll take care care of my LVC, thank you DJI…

Stuff to consider….

Last edited:
I bought mine with controller for 300. But with the advancements of phantom 2 and 3 I would not invest in older model. When I call for some parts they tell me is to old.

Thanks for the replies. I have a phantom 3 advanced as my primary. Was thinking about this phantom 1 as a fpv mess around unit but think I will go the route of a high speed fpv racer instead. Again thanks for the input

I purchased my 1.1.1 off of eBay for 170.00 I got lucky and couldn't believe I actually was the highest bidder. Came in original box and we extra battery. The drone was mint. I was actively looking for a v2 but saw this at no reserve....needless to say I had a bunch of change left for some upgrades.

Reactions: Ti22
It is hard to beat just buying a current Phantom in terms of what you get - I say as I upgrade my 1.1.1. I would not pay more than what the Naza is worth.

It is hard to beat just buying a current Phantom in terms of what you get - I say as I upgrade my 1.1.1. I would not pay more than what the Naza is worth.
What types of upgrades are you finding worthwhile to to a v1.1.1? Please share your experiences and some details. I have a new v1.1.1, and am wondering just what I might be able to do with it, in terms of upgrades.

I bought - but have not yet installed - a Tarot t-2 gimbal; T-motor MN2213 motors; and a LiveView Kit for GoPro from 3drobotics right before Christmas. The prices were on a clearance sale so I wanted to give them a try. I have been very dissatisfied with my videos without a gimbal and I'm hoping this makes a difference.

I am waiting for a gimbal mount to arrive and I still need a camera that fits the gimbal. I am hoping for some Gopro's to go on sale soon. I think they will have to start marking down some of there prices eventually. My local best buy had what seemed to me to be an unusually large inventory of gopro hero4 black cameras last week.

My current motors still work and I want to make sure the new ones will work with the current ESC's before I put them on. I also ordered proud that should fit the hubs on the new motors.

I did upgrade to the larger P2 vision props and bought a slightly higher capacity battery that still fits the battery bay.

I will post the results of my installations when they are complete.

LiveView™ Kit for GoPro - 3DR

Genghis, thank you very much for the information. The consensus on good video, all suggests a good gimbal, so thanks for the specific info on your selections, as well as your selections on the FPV set-up. For what it's worth, I was able to pick-up a refurb GoPro Silver 3+ for $119.00, and it is flawless with warranty. A lot of GoPro are returned/refurb, as just not being the model someone wanted (I researched this extensively) Keep me posted on your updates. Thanks again.

Genghis, thank you very much for the information. The consensus on good video, all suggests a good gimbal, so thanks for the specific info on your selections, as well as your selections on the FPV set-up. For what it's worth, I was able to pick-up a refurb GoPro Silver 3+ for $119.00, and it is flawless with warranty. A lot of GoPro are returned/refurb, as just not being the model someone wanted (I researched this extensively) Keep me posted on your updates. Thanks again.

If you or anyone sees any more refurbished hero3+ for under $150, please post it here.

I ended up ordering a gopro hero4 for under 300. ****'s Sporting Goods had them on sale. I bought a $300 ****'s gift card at a discount on Raise.com for about $250 to pay for it. Ben's Bargains - GoPro Hero4 Silver Action Camcorder $300 at Dicks ...

I think the gopro is overpriced but I know it will fit my gimbal, record and transmit a signal at the same time, fit the output cable to the transmitter and give a decent picture.

The other cameras did not seem to do all of those things without making more modifications.

I bought a DBPower SJ4000 (a copycat of a copycat) camera to use as a Guinea pig. It is doubtful it can record and send a signal at the same time. But for $40 I will be less remorseful if things go awry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.