Is It Worth Diving For

Reaction score
Took my secondary, V1 Phantom up off of my back porch today. It was my first time using it for a month or two as it needed a new battery and I was busy flying my P2 since instead. But, ordered a battery and took it up, 5sec after takeoff it sped off in one direction and would not respond to any input. Knowing it was going to be out of line of sight in mere seconds and not sure where it would eventually hit something (was only about 6ft up), I decided to kill the power and splash it into the river behind my house.

I estimate the water is about 6-8ft deep, and I'm pretty sure I know the roundabout area it went down. As far as the river there's not too much current I don't think and the residents include some manatees, dolphins and this year a bull shark was caught in the same intercoastal waterway, but the shark thing was a fluke and must have gotten lost. It wouldn't be the most pleasant experience nonetheless. And that's even if I could find it.

So what I would like to know is could the Phantom even work again after being completely submerged like that?

I'm guessing you're not too far upriver with that kind of aquatic life around, so the water is probably too salty for your Phantom to have much of a chance at all. Fresh water is a different story, but even just a short dip in saltwater can be the end for everything it touched.

Yes it's saltwater. The waterway runs along the Atlantic connected to the ocean by several inlets. If that's the case then I just might not bother.

dollerprod said:
Took my secondary, V1 Phantom up off of my back porch today. It was my first time using it for a month or two as it needed a new battery and I was busy flying my P2 since instead. But, ordered a battery and took it up, 5sec after takeoff it sped off in one direction and would not respond to any input. Knowing it was going to be out of line of sight in mere seconds and not sure where it would eventually hit something (was only about 6ft up), I decided to kill the power and splash it into the river behind my house.

I estimate the water is about 6-8ft deep, and I'm pretty sure I know the roundabout area it went down. As far as the river there's not too much current I don't think and the residents include some manatees, dolphins and this year a bull shark was caught in the same intercoastal waterway, but the shark thing was a fluke and must have gotten lost. It wouldn't be the most pleasant experience nonetheless. And that's even if I could find it.

So what I would like to know is could the Phantom even work again after being completely submerged like that?

how does it not have control inputs but you still have throttle to cut the power?? and could you have let it reach the other side of the river before cutting the power so it was maybe over land?? how wide is the river?

OI Photography said:
dollerprod said:
Yes it's saltwater. The waterway runs along the Atlantic connected to the ocean by several inlets.

Indian River or Banana River?

Indian River :)

locoworks said:
how does it not have control inputs but you still have throttle to cut the power?? and could you have let it reach the other side of the river before cutting the power so it was maybe over land?? how wide is the river?

I was unable to give it any input on any axis, or throttle up/gain altitude.. It just kept going in one direction fast. I didn't power it off by using the throttle as you would hold it down on land to turn off, I used the CSC position and was able to power it off.

The direction it was going, I was losing sight of it in just a couple of seconds. Trust me, I did not want to ditch it in the water, and it's easy to think of alternatives in hindsight, but it seems like a real liability when it's speeding off unexpectedly, unable to control it. I didn't want to have that liability, possibly hurt someone, or give this hobby any more reason to have a bad name. I do wish that it had decided to head off in almost any other direction, as I maybe could have timed it so that it could have been retrieved, but the direction it went in was just about the only direction I would lose sight of it after about 100ft.

Anyway, if there's no chance that it would work, then the Phantom will just have to stay there. It just sucks because it's really only like 200ft from me right now so it's tempting..

My personal opinion is a V1 Phantom is marginal in fresh water to go after. If it was easy dive and you can do it quickly then the chances are better.

But the fact at least a day has passed and sitting in salt water I would say let it go.

Sorry for the loss !

Is It Worth Diving For? It all depends on just how difficult a dive it may be. If you have to search by hand feel in murky water, then no. If you can boat out to the location and even "see" it on the bottom, then yes. Save what parts you can. Some one may buy them from you, you never know.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1