Is it weird that i like....

Reaction score
...flying FPV via video out on my GoPro on a stabilised gimbal rather than through my hard mounted dedicated FPV camera?

I still find it a bit more difficult with the gopro quality and the gimbal, but i enjoy being able to control the pitch of the FPV view, it's getting easier now that i have the artificial horizon via the iOSD and after using it that way for a few days, going back to a hard mounted FPV camera again it seems like there is far too much movement and its hard to keep track of it all :shock:

I also seem to have a good bit of vibration in my Phantom, it doesn't show on the GoPro, and seems to fly fine, but the image on the hard mounted fpv camera was showing A LOT of vibration.

Pretty gutted with this realisation as i just paid £70 (about $100) for a brand new Sony CCD that i doubt i'll be using :lol:

OI Photography said:
davemcm said:
Pretty gutted with this realisation as i just paid £70 (about $100) for a brand new Sony CCD that i doubt i'll be using :lol:

Which one did you get? I'm in the market for one.

http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/camera ... -ccd600tvl seems much better quality than the GoPro and the original fatshark one provided with my predator kit.

Also have a cable/lead for it to goto iosd mini and immersion rc transmitter

Nothing beats having the ability to SEE what you're shooting. (and see that the GoPro is properly recording,.etc)

I liken the experience as more of flying a remote controlled camera than a camera attached to a copter. mini iOSD rocks as well.

This is good to know- I was considering moving the battery outside the phantom and mounting a ccd in the door- I have a gopro fpv setup and the picture is real nice- I just wanted the crutch of seeing where the quad was from it's point of view as I have very little experience with fpv and want my safety nets.

I started FPV'ing with a TVL600 through my attitude V2's and was loving it, in order to reduce weight I removed the camera and started feeding video from the go pro and I now would not fly any other way, here are some of my reasons:

1- I see what I am recording
2 - I can see how Much I need to tilt my camera to get the perfect shot
3- Less weight
4- - Because I can move the camera I can land through my goggles

just my 2 cents

dave, what exactly is your current FPV setup with the go pro?

Glad you started this thread--i was contemplating whether to add another camera for fpv outside of the go pro.

kydan said:

Glad you started this thread - - I was contemplating whether to add another camera for fpv outside of the go pro.

GoPro video out > iOSD Mini > Fatshark 600mw transmitter > Fatshark Predator V2 Goggles

davemcm said:
kydan said:

Glad you started this thread - - I was contemplating whether to add another camera for fpv outside of the go pro.

GoPro video out > iOSD Mini > Fatshark 600mw transmitter > Fatshark Predator V2 Goggles

If I buy this Fatshark from hobby king and a mini iosd, do I need anything else to get going with P2 Zen Gimbal and GoPro 3? I assume the camera is included wont be used and I can add antennas and a more powerful transmitter later?

I thought I saw a thread here somewhere about installing this in a P2 but can't seem to find it right now

I think I've changed my mind lol, crashed 4 times yesterday due to not being able to work out exactly what the quad was doing quick enough via the gimballed gopro fpv view.

Have remounted my CCD and hooked it up to iOSD mini and fatshark transmitter and we'll see how this plays out now.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1395943090.977339.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1395943090.977339.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 768
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1395943103.027127.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1395943103.027127.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 799
jondrew said:
davemcm said:
kydan said:

If I buy this Fatshark from hobby king and a mini iosd, do I need anything else to get going with P2 Zen Gimbal and GoPro 3? I assume the camera is included wont be used and I can add antennas and a more powerful transmitter later?

I thought I saw a thread here somewhere about installing this in a P2 but can't seem to find it right now

I only have p1 but as far as I know that would also be fine for a P2.

jondrew said:

Included camera is not needed if you're using the GP3 for the video source, and you can indeed install all that on a P2...all you should need is this cable: http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/cables ... ransmitter

OI Photography said:
Included camera is not needed if you're using the GP3 for the video source, and you can indeed install all that on a P2...all you should need is this cable: http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/cables ... ransmitter

Hmmm, just discovered the Fatshark Dominator HD. More $ and I'd have to buy an Rx module and a Tx (maybe the Immersion 600 mW).

Guess I need to do more research

Thanks

Do you guys know that there are video switchers so you can have both cameras mounted and switched back and forth between them on the fly?

Granted you'll have to suffer the additional weight penalty (50-60gr for the camera, cables and switcher probably) and you need to switch the rc tx\rx to have more channels to control the switcher.

LeoS said:
Do you guys know that there are video switchers so you can have both cameras mounted and switched back and forth between them on the fly?

Granted you'll have to suffer the additional weight penalty (50-60gr for the camera, cables and switcher probably) and you need to switch the rc tx\rx to have more channels to control the switcher.

Yep, like one of these: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=1283

If you need/want to use multiple video feeds (cameras), that's probably the easiest option.

As much as I would love a switcher, I don't plan on upgrading my tx anytime soon unless I get another quad, so that's pretty much out the window unless I want to give gimbal control (if that's even an option), which I do not.

Edit: my main problem is my iOSD mini is mounted inside my phantom, so without a switcher a change of camera from CCD to gopro requires opening up the shell and replacing the input to the iOSD mini, instead of simply changing the connection of chosen cam to the video transmitter.

Yep, exactly! I have one on order and I'm trying to modularize my vtx cabling so I can swap vtx-es without opening the shell and resoldering the cables... (but without using DJI's FPV hub)

I was wondering about flying with goggles. You can't see what's above you wearking Goggles. I would like to know if there were tree limbs or power lines above my quad when I decide to take it higher. What caused your crash while wearing goggles?

Bluegrass said:
I was wondering about flying with goggles. You can't see what's above you wearking Goggles. I would like to know if there were tree limbs or power lines above my quad when I decide to take it higher. What caused your crash while wearing goggles?

Once you're beyond visual range the camera view is all you have. I now have my FPV setup using a 7 inch diversity monitor. It seems to work quite well and FPV isn't as hard as I would have thought. In tight spaces however I've come close to clipping trees. The view thorough the monitor is lacking detail you see once you get the video off the GoPro and it definitely effects any sense of depth perception.

I did order Fatshark goggles from Hobbyking and it has turned out to be quite a disaster. I thought they were shipping from a US warehouse. Nope, shipped from China. Supposedly sat at JFK (impounded by customs) for two weeks and today I got a notification that there was good news. The shipment has been released and is now on its way back to China and hopefully will be headed back to the US within 14 days. Worse yet, I found out last week my LHS carries the same model for the same price.

Bluegrass said:

Well, it takes a different kind of flying.
just as with flying LOS, you want to get a good idea of where you'll be flying before taking off, noting where trees and power lines are so you can avoid them while flying.

And then the key to flying FPV really is to only fly forward much of the time,. just like driving a truck with no back window (and no side windows). only fly sideways, back or up if you're sure there's nothing to run into! (which I admittedly have messed up on a few occasions myself)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4