is it too cold for P2?

Reaction score
okay so got my son a P2. set it up before christmas and flew it fine. this morning after we opened gifts it was about 6 degrees F outside with a little fog. tried to fly but it wouldn't. got sat lock and then flew after about 10 seconds got blinking red lights and it just started to drop. could not go up. after it landed there was ice on leading edge of blades. that was funny. waited till sun came out and fog lifted and it was about 16 outside and it flew fine.

Had mine out in 0°earlier in the week. Was a cloudy day as well. Took a few minutes to get the GPS Lock...but it did. Flew fine for a few minutes then when I had it about 5 feet from me to grab it out of the air, it started getting all squirrely on me. Hard to control. No wind or anything.....just cold. So......there may be a cold weather flying issue. ;-)

Merry Christmas!

I've been flying in 10-20 degree weather lately with no problems with my Phantom 1.1.1 (non vision.) The cold will affect the battery life. I'm getting around 6 minutes of flight time in 20 degree weather, and as little as 2 minutes with 10 degree weather and a fairly strong wind.

10-12minute flighttime in 10degree F, here in Norway. Humidity might affect the electronics though.

I saw a video where heavy fog caused real problems for a P2. I'm sure freezing weather isn't any better. The props are plastic, not metal.

Got Phantom v1.?
Had it out -25C, flew the regular ~8 min with GP3+case! no prob. Did this a couple of times ~ -20C.
I keep the battery warm in my pocket till I fly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20