Is it safe to use Tethering/Mobile Hotspot option while flying?

Now is it possible the do Mobile Tethering using Bluetooth?
Short answer is Yes, I use a iPad mini 2 and tether via BT, don't need it for maps as I pre-load but it does work well for syncing flight records in the field. Just turn off wifi on the phone and pair to the shield. Be sure to turn on your hotspot 1st, and the BT should link.

Once your tethering on 5ghz NO interference w Lightbridge.....Bluetooth won't interfere either but will be slower and may cause more heat in the device than the wifi radio
You are right. I'll give the 5ghz a try.
Thanks again for your help.

Now if we could just get the Home Lock function on the Phantom 3...;)
I was using it almost every flight with my Vision+.

Are you sure? you must be missing something
No, the only thing you can change for hotspot in advanced options is the Broadcast channel, options are "auto" or you can pick a channel from 1-11

The only time I used HL on the P2 was when I lost orientation when not in LOS, flip to HL and pull back on the stick and she came to you like a $50 hooker. Now with the P3 showing you not only orientation but a highlighted track home I won't use it much as i never lose directional orientation.

The only time I used HL on the P2 was when I lost orientation when not in LOS, flip to HL and pull back on the stick and she came to you like a $50 hooker. Now with the P3 showing you not only orientation but a highlighted track home I won't use it much as i never lose directional orientation.
Except when you can't see your screen because of the bright sun and have no idea where your bird is. Sadly, the brightness of the Nvidia shield is not that great :-(
Also, just pulling down the stick "and relax" to get your Phantom back was a LOT easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: tcope
No, the only thing you can change for hotspot in advanced options is the Broadcast channel, options are "auto" or you can pick a channel from 1-11
Are you "scrolling" down on the tab with broadcast options......you need to find ADVANCED options for tethering to switch it

Except when you can't see you screen because of the bright sun and have no idea where your bird is.
Sadly, the brightness of the Nvidia shield is not that great :-(
I am not having to much of an issue with my iPad w/anti-glare film and a sunshade, but my glasses are anti-glare also. If the sun is shinning directly on the screen I have to turn slightly one way or the other to get the screen back into the shade. I did have to turn up the brightness to max of course.

Are you "scrolling" down on the tab with broadcast options......you need to find ADVANCED options for tethering to switch it
cannot scroll down any more, once you click "advanced" it brings up "broadcast channel" (cannot scroll down no more)
All you can do is click on "auto" which if you click on that it brings up channel numbers 1-11

cannot scroll down any more, once you click "advanced" it brings up "broadcast channel" (cannot scroll down no more)
All you can do is click on "auto" which if you click on that it brings up channel numbers 1-11
can you post a screen shot.......Press and hold home and instantly press and hold power button as well, screen should flash and capture screen shot

I'm unable to get cached maps working reliably on an iPad 2 Mini, most often than not I don't see any map, occasionally I get maps if I zoom so far out its useless. I have background map cache enabled in the app. What am I doing wrong?

I've tried using my cell phone (OnePlus One with android) and with the Ipad 2 mini wifi-only.

So far the Ipad is way nicer to use with the screen size and also the more current and updated software.

Even after searching online and reading through these posts I'm not sure if I understand under what scenarios will having GPS on your tablet/phone benefit or even prevent a disaster than if you only have wifi. Is there a definitive list somewhere between what you're gaining by getting the cell phone option with GPS? I'm doubting since even the manuals are lacking for basics like the hidden camera menu etc...

Also, can anyone confirm if tethering the phone to the tablet during flight, the GPS info will transfer as well to the tablet?

can you post a screen shot.......Press and hold home and instantly press and hold power button as well, screen should flash and capture screen shot
Here is what i get on the Galaxy S5 running on lollipop 5.0
No options are there to change 2.4ghz or 5ghz, you can only choose a "Broadcast Channel" between 1-11

9hksxj.png

wi8yo9.png

Here is another method to make sure you have the maps for offline use.

• Launch the Google Maps app from the Home screen of your iPhone or iPad or Android.
  • Find the area of the map that you'd like to cache for offline use either by pinching to zoom in and out or entering an address and making sure the screen is zoomed out enough to capture the area you'd like to save.
  • Now in the Search bar type in Ok Maps and hit Search.
  • You'll see a screen with the Google icon showing that it's processing the area for offline caching.
  • You'll now see a message at the bottom screen confirming that the area you've selected has been cached for offline use.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20