Is it safe to update camera firmware yet?

Reaction score
Hi all, wanting to upgrade the firmware so that I have the ability to use RAW files. Does anyone know if it is now safe to upgrade as I don't want to lose the camera function.
Thanks in advance!

I think the biggest issue was people NOT formatting the card via the smart phone app.

As a rule, I ALWAYS format cards IN the device that they are to be used with.

You'll like the new DNG files. SOOOOO much better than the horrid excuse for a photo that the Jpegs are.

FSJ Guy said:
I think the biggest issue was people NOT formatting the card via the smart phone app.

As a rule, I ALWAYS format cards IN the device that they are to be used with.

You'll like the new DNG files. SOOOOO much better than the horrid excuse for a photo that the Jpegs are.

How do I format the sd card in the app?

Click on the tools icon and the tools will pop out on the left side of the screen. Scroll them down to find the FORMAT option.

Obviously, make sure you have downloaded EVERYTHING off your card before you do this. ;- )

I understand your hesitation, but if done correctly, the update is easy and safe. And quite worth it, IMO. If you really like the jpegs, the DNG files will blow you away! : D

But, of course, you WILL need software that can read them.

I flashed mine last night copying the instructions in the video on the DJI site and it worked fine.

Getting the bloody lens profile working in Lightroom was another matter and I have about 5 copies in all sorts of folders and it only worked after a reboot, not restarting the programme, so I can't even tell which of the many locations actually is used by the software... :evil:

There is a noticeable delay in the image re-appearing on your phone when taking the RAW image (which you need to enable via phone app) which as many have commented is clearly down to the file size and the jpg which is recorded at the same time (test image last night indoors 21MB for DNG and 1.2 for the jpg).

What you do get with the RAW is lots' of ability to improve the image - something I am still learning - there's a nice guide here, although no doubt there are many more out there.

I just updated my P2V cam firmware. Piece of cake!

Thanks!

Can I safely delete the bak file on my sd card once update was successful?

Just got the nerve to update the firmware, everything is cool.
Pull-Up, thanks for the GIMP program. Works great. Wonder if you have done anything else with it.

Chuck

I use linux so I've been playing with processing dng's with an app called Rawstudio which exports directly into GIMP. Lots of learning to do, but it's good to just play around with sharpness and exposure settings, etc.

I'm not a GIMP power-user so I haven't looked into anything beyond the basic adjustments thus far. I'm also waiting for some sunshine to take photos that aren't mainly grey :( Been playing with other people's dng files I've found online in the meantime.

Pull_up, thanks. If you come across any interesting stuff, let us know. I know that the Go Pro app does pretty much the same thing with video, but will only do it with Go Pro cameras. Doesn't seem to work with the Vision camera. Wonder if you know of an app that will take the fisheye out of the Vision?

Thanks again.

Chuck in Ohio.

am I to assume that after this update the still photos will no longer be .jpg files? If so, why in the world would I want to do this? I have never even heard of a .dng file, and have no idea how th whare or edit it. Am I missing something here?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31