Is it possible to use the Futaba T8J w/ the P2Z ?

Reaction score
Hey quick question for you futaba fans out there. Is there anyway you can connect a futaba t8j to the phantom 2 with zenmuse? I would also want to use the futaba reciever so compatibility with the stock receiver isn't what I'm asking. Does anyone know of a preset file of the p2z for the t8j ?

Thanks, dbolner

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am using a Futaba T8J with my P2Z. I installed the R2008SB rx in it. It was pretty easy. I did this so:

1) I could fly manual if I wanted to.
2) I could assign the gimbal to the VR knob.
3) I could have forced failsafe.

My T8J had already been programmed to work with NAZA V1 that I have in my F450. I copied that profile into another "slot" in the T8J and almost all the settings were appropriate for the NAZA V2 that it's in the P2Z.

dbolner said:
Hey quick question for you futaba fans out there. Is there anyway you can connect a futaba t8j to the phantom 2 with zenmuse? I would also want to use the futaba reciever so compatibility with the stock receiver isn't what I'm asking. Does anyone know of a preset file of the p2z for the t8j ?

Thanks, dbolner

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So what functionality do you have set on your t8j, and do you have a shareable profile for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still pretty green with all of this so I may not fully understand "functionality" in this context. I can fly fully manual and I have a switch assigned to force failsafe in all modes. The FC of my Phantom is set to NAZA, of course. If uploading a profile from the T8J to a computer is possible then I'll be happy to share it with you.

dbolner said:
So what functionality do you have set on your t8j, and do you have a shareable profile for it?

dbolner said:

It does everything that the stock transmitter does. Additionally, you can set one switch to force failsafe if you wish, you can also program a switch to allow you to switch the camera from front facing to straight down... it does come in handy at times.

What sort of 'functionality' are you looking for?

You cannot share profiles for the 8J unless you have two controllers close together. There is no provision as there is on the 14SG to copy a profile and share it. Follow the instructions in the post I made. This not only will give you everything you need but you may actually learn how the 8J settings work.... then you can explore the additional possibilities for yourself.

goldfishrock said:

Can you fly further with the T8J than with the original Tx ? I'm trying to gain more distance. The other day I flew out as far as I could before it went into fail safe. When it returned I looked at the GoPro and it read 9 minutes round trip. So I'm looking for a way to increase that to about 15 minutes round trip to be safe.

I'm sorry that I was not able to share that with you. It would have saved you a lot of time and, if you're as dense as I am, a lot of pain. It was a drag setting up my radio for Naza the first time. That said, it was important to learn.

dbolner said:

I have the same for my phantoms.Excellent radio.

How do you have yours sets up gppms , could you show me your switch setups?

The setup was very very easy.First of all you have to replace the standard receiver of the phantom 2 with the futaba receiver that comes with the t8j.The reason for this is the t8j receiver is FHSS and the stock phantom receiver is FASTT.After you have to make calibration the channels of the radio with the dji assistant software.The channel 1,2,3,4 of the radio are the A,E,T,R from the phantoms assistant software.The channel 5 of the radio is the gimbals pitch and i assign it to the VR potentiometer of the radio.The channel 6 is the course lock and the home lock and I assign it to the three position switch E of the radio.And the channel 7 is the control mode switch and I assign it to the three position switch C of they radio.Don't forget to make reverse the channels of the radio which are incorrect and also to fix the end points of the channels 6 and 7 to work ok with the control mode and the home lock.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Yes this is it and is very easy to do it.The only difference for me is I only use two three point switches because I never use the manual flight condition.I have the one switch for course lock,home lock and off and the other for gps,attitude and fail safe like the stock dji radio.

Those are my settings: channel 1-normal. ,2-reverse ,3-reverse ,4- normal , 5-normal , 6-reverse ,
7-reverse.
The end points: channel 1:AIL 100/100. 2:ELE 100/100. 3:THR 100/100. 4:RUD 100/100. 5:GER 100/100. 6:FLP 59/59. 7:AU 59/59.
I forgot to tell you to set the radio to airplane acrobatic mode NOT to heli mode.

Thanks! Is the t8j a better radio all around, and does it lessen your chance of a fly away due to signal confusion

All this years I'm using futaba radios to my electric,nitro ,gasser helicopters and I've never had any problem.I believe futaba radios are best of all.I'm not gone to tell you you are not going to have a flyaway because I believe it is not the problem the futaba radio to each flyaway.I believe most of the flyaways are pilots error or maybe interference to the 2.4 ghz frequency from the wifi of the gopro or maybe from something other like high voltage power lines or maybe high power tv antenna or radio transmitters.The futaba t8j radio works excellent.

gppms said:
The futaba t8j radio works excellent.

+1 from me.... it's a great Radio

The T8J is far more feature-rich than the stock P2 radio and would be useful if you want to fly other birds. Some people say it gives you better range and that it help prevent flyaways (although I NEVER have my GoPro wifi on when I fly).

However, if you don't need forced failsafe or manual flight and you intend only to fly around short to medium distances line-of-sight, I think you'd be fine with the stock radio.

dbolner said:
Thanks! Is the t8j a better radio all around, and does it lessen your chance of a fly away due to signal confusion

I'm debating doing this with my yet to be delivered new P2+H3-3D. I already have the T8J and TX installed in my Phanom 1, and the radio is configured to my liking.
Question; how do I create a Phantom 2 profile, then copy the existing stuff over onto that? I'd like to use the 1 T8J remote with both aircraft-so I need a 2nd "assignment", I would guess? on the T8J, when I switch aircraft...different transmitters...OR, can I just used what I have setup now?? Realize I can adjust each aircraft differently in Naza software......

Another question; has anyone tested the difference in range between the stock P2, and the Futaba? I'm seeing people flying P2's, out to a further distance than I can with my existing P1+futaba set-up.

Last question-the 2 antenna's. I noticed in the video, that he placed both antenna's on the front L/R landing gear legs? 90 degree's apart. But, I want 1 antenna on the right rear leg, and 1 antenna on the left front leg-for better coverage. Is that going to be possible, mounting it in the P2? It's not possible with the P1. I have 1 antenna on the right rear leg, and 1 antenna on the right front leg...that front antenna just won't reach across the aircraft to the opposite leg.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4