Is it possible to deactivate Kill switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to waste any more effort responding except to say that if you think I've somehow:
suggested that you should stop posting or go post somewhere else
compared your son to a clumsy ape and suggested that it is because of my parenting skills​
.. then you're reading words that I never typed.

And to also say that if I saw you responding to anyone else in a similar fashion to what you've done here, I'd be issuing you a warning.
I suggest you acquaint yourself with our community guidelines: Community Guidelines

Reactions: Myetkt
These CSC threads are largely being ignored now by the vast membership here as there's nothing new here that hasn't been said before.

It keeps coming up because new folks fear everything negative they read on the web. They don't seek training or the help and mentor-ship of experienced pilots like was the 'old way' when getting into r/c aviation. Once you gain some experience you'll see just how trivial this is.

Before believing you have the improvements that DJI has so overlooked, Why not search the dozens of threads and hundreds of replies on the matter?

You're just the 'next' in a long line of previously scared pilots.

Reactions: Meta4
The weakest thing you can do in any difference of opinion here is to try and invalidate my opinion due to the age of my alias. That's lame dude. Maybe I've been here for years under a different alias or maybe I really am new to this forum - but that doesn't mean that I'm new to the hobby or new to the planet and it certainly doesn't mean I'm not smarter than you!

Maybe you should re-read your previous post - and perhaps all of my previous posts since I've been here. If you do, you'll see that by default, I'm quite polite and friendly - but if spoken to rudely, I can and will definitely respond in kind - and yes, I may even escalate depending on how rude or ignorant I consider the post I am replying to - and yours was up there - and it was intentional - so drop the high and mighty attitude and at least own up for your own words.

You have suggested multiple times in this thread that my opinion is wrong and that I should stop posting or go post somewhere else. In response to hypothetical, yet plausible scenario - you compare my son to a clumsy ape and suggest that it is because of my parenting skills. Unless you're new to the planet - you should know that unsolicited, inaccurate and negative criticism of a persons child or their parenting skills are fighting words. You were either being intentionally rude - or you just don't have a clue how to conduct yourself socially. Either way - it makes you look like a jerk and is clearly proof that you set the tone for my reply.

It's a bit sad that you'd resort to such tactics simply because you were losing an argument. Dude - if you don't want to concede the point to me - then just agree to disagree and back off!

It doesn't matter how many times this has come up before or how many times you've presented your self-proclaimed "balanced" viewpoint. It keeps coming up for a reason and that is that people can see a flaw/weakness in the current system. Perhaps you and people like you eventually convince them to back off when they realize it is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY to ever affect them - but that doesn't mean that it's a good system and that it can't be improved. Contrary to your repeated claims that it won't happen - this forum contains proof that unintentional CSC motor stops can and do happen!

So those people to which it happens end having to repair or replace their Phantom and the whole basis for your intransigent position is that they don't matter. You're essentially saying that they deserve to have to pay - to be punished - for not flying properly. That kind of opinion makes you arrogant, condescending and it also makes you sound like a jerk!

It's extremely clear that the system can be improved. It can be redesigned so that it is COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE to unintentionally trigger a motor shutdown instead of "extremely unlikely". If you're not smart enough to see that after it's been laid out so clearly - then maybe you're not smart enough to offer any advice on any topic. But I don't think that's it. You can see that the system *could* be improvise but you don't want it improved because that would take away an opportunity for you to feel superior to the people that are affected by it - or you feel that it is an appropriate punishment for someone who doesn't fly in the manner that you consider to be "proper" - or that suffers from a brief moment of panic and move the controls the wrong direction.

Eliminate your emotions and your preconceptions from the equation and tell us again why the system shouldn't be improved? If changes to the process can provide equivalent or better functionality to today's process in terms of reaction time AND completely eliminate the unintentional shutdowns - why shouldn't it be done?

On second thought - don't answer that. Because if you *do* have a reason why you think it shouldn't be done, it's just going to make you appear even more condescending and arrogant. At this point what you should do is to apologize for the rudeness you instigated and then either concede the point to me or agree to disagree. It's not possible to prove me wrong because the facts are all on my side. Your "balanced view" ignores all of the facts and is supported only by opinion and (attempted) bullying.

Tenly,

Thanks for sharing your opnion and please feel free to keep sharing you interesting thoughts about the CSC (Combination Sticks Command).

These CSC threads are largely being ignored now by the vast membership here as there's nothing new here that hasn't been said before.

It keeps coming up because new folks fear everything negative they read on the web. They don't seek training or the help and mentor-ship of experienced pilots like was the 'old way' when getting into r/c aviation. Once you gain some experience you'll see just how trivial this is.

Before believing you have the improvements that DJI has so overlooked, Why not search the dozens of threads and hundreds of replies on the matter?

You're just the 'next' in a long line of previously scared pilots.

I'm not at all scared. I'm extremely confident that I personally will never accidentally trigger a CSC stop and fall out of the sky. As others have said - it's extremely unlikely that one would trigger the stop accidentally - and even less likely for someone who is aware of the CSC. The problem is that "very unlikely" does not equal "impossible". It is very unlikely that any individual person will win the Powerball lottery - but regularly, there are winners! This issue doesn't really affect me and my drone at all - except that I can and do feel sympathy for those pilots that somehow manage to defy the odds and unintentionally cut their motors while in flight - and I'm shocked at the apparent number of people who just plain don't care and seem to be talking stances such as "since it wont be me, it doesn't matter" or even worse, "that a crash is a fitting punishment for someone who wasn't flying the way they were supposed to be" - or for someone that didn't read the manual fully and have knowledge of the CSC.

It's difficult to understand why DJI builds safety features that are at least partially meant to protect your device - like object avoidance, return to home, auto-land, etc and then they leave this one very obvious gap.

You obviously haven't read all of my posts on this subject - because contrary to what you write - I do not presume that I know what the best solution is - only that improvements are possible. Perhaps you can't envision it - or don't understand what would/could constitute an improvement but I can and I think many others can as well. In my real life, it's my job to identify (and sometimes improve) systems of all types that can be improved - and this is most certainly one of them.

I don't understand how any of you can say that the current system is "good enough" if even one pilot per year experiences a crash due to an accidental and unintentional CSC!

So what exactly is your objection? Do you even have one or are you just being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative? Do you honestly think that its not possible to improve the emergency stop process? Or do you acknowledge that it *may* be possible but think there are actual reasons that it should be left the way it is? Do you care that little about the 2 or 3 pilots per year that are affected by this? Do you think they deserve to crash for some reason - for making a momentary mistake? Does it make you feel superior when they do? If so - that kind of attitude doesn't say much for you as people.

And what if the CSC crash (which would have been avoided with an improved system) ends up damaging someone's property or even worse - if the falling drone lands on an innocent bystander? At this point, I would hold you and meta4 every bit as responsible as DJI and the actual pilot for whatever damage or injuries the crash causes - but in your own words - it's trivial, right? Especially if it's only one life that is lost?

I can't believe the arrogance and narrow mindedness of you guys. You're probably the first two to jump in and scold or berate members when they post something which suggests they did something dangerous - yet in this situation you are both actively arguing against taking any action whatsoever to fix an issue which could result in a persons death.

Arrogant? Pompous? Irresponsible? Possibly all of the above? I don't know what others think - but I've sure got my mind made up! I'll feel bad if someone is hurt or killed by a drone falling unnecessarily from the sky due to a CSC - but I won't feel guilty about. You guys definitely should. I will most certainly pull up these posts if/when it happens and we'll see how superior you act then! (smh)

Tenly,

Thanks for sharing your opnion and please feel free to keep sharing you interesting thoughts about the CSC (Combination Sticks Command).

Thanks for the encouragement. Don't let these guys that think they know everything bully you when you've got a valid point to make. They don't know nearly as much as they think they do.

I'm not going to waste any more effort responding except to say that if you think I've somehow:
suggested that you should stop posting or go post somewhere else
compared your son to a clumsy ape and suggested that it is because of my parenting skills​
.. then you're reading words that I never typed.

And to also say that if I saw you responding to anyone else in a similar fashion to what you've done here, I'd be issuing you a warning.
I suggest you acquaint yourself with our community guidelines: Community Guidelines

I didn't realize you were a monitor - but now that I do, I'm even more appalled at the way you've carried yourself and engaged with members in this thread. Do the community's guidelines not also apply to you? I think you are equally guilty of encroaching on the conduct guidelines and did me one worse by instigating.

Unless you used your moderator powers to go back and edit our conversation, you most certainly did compare my son to an ape, questioned my parenting skills and suggested that I stop posting about the dangers of CSC because the topic had already been discussed repeatedly - and in your opinion fully.

We would never have gotten to the "rude" emails if you had simply posted your one message for "balance" - but you kept coming back trying to bully me into abandoning a valid position for reasons that you still haven't shared.

I'm not at all scared. I'm extremely confident that I personally will never accidentally trigger a CSC stop and fall out of the sky. As others have said - it's extremely unlikely that one would trigger the stop accidentally - and even less likely for someone who is aware of the CSC. The problem is that "very unlikely" does not equal "impossible". It is very unlikely that any individual person will win the Powerball lottery - but regularly, there are winners! This issue doesn't really affect me and my drone at all - except that I can and do feel sympathy for those pilots that somehow manage to defy the odds and unintentionally cut their motors while in flight - and I'm shocked at the apparent number of people who just plain don't care and seem to be talking stances such as "since it wont be me, it doesn't matter" or even worse, "that a crash is a fitting punishment for someone who wasn't flying the way they were supposed to be" - or for someone that didn't read the manual fully and have knowledge of the CSC.

It's difficult to understand why DJI builds safety features that are at least partially meant to protect your device - like object avoidance, return to home, auto-land, etc and then they leave this one very obvious gap.

You obviously haven't read all of my posts on this subject - because contrary to what you write - I do not presume that I know what the best solution is - only that improvements are possible. Perhaps you can't envision it - or don't understand what would/could constitute an improvement but I can and I think many others can as well. In my real life, it's my job to identify (and sometimes improve) systems of all types that can be improved - and this is most certainly one of them.

I don't understand how any of you can say that the current system is "good enough" if even one pilot per year experiences a crash due to an accidental and unintentional CSC!

So what exactly is your objection? Do you even have one or are you just being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative? Do you honestly think that its not possible to improve the emergency stop process? Or do you acknowledge that it *may* be possible but think there are actual reasons that it should be left the way it is? Do you care that little about the 2 or 3 pilots per year that are affected by this? Do you think they deserve to crash for some reason - for making a momentary mistake? Does it make you feel superior when they do? If so - that kind of attitude doesn't say much for you as people.

And what if the CSC crash (which would have been avoided with an improved system) ends up damaging someone's property or even worse - if the falling drone lands on an innocent bystander? At this point, I would hold you and meta4 every bit as responsible as DJI and the actual pilot for whatever damage or injuries the crash causes - but in your own words - it's trivial, right? Especially if it's only one life that is lost?

I can't believe the arrogance and narrow mindedness of you guys. You're probably the first two to jump in and scold or berate members when they post something which suggests they did something dangerous - yet in this situation you are both actively arguing against taking any action whatsoever to fix an issue which could result in a persons death.

Arrogant? Pompous? Irresponsible? Possibly all of the above? I don't know what others think - but I've sure got my mind made up! I'll feel bad if someone is hurt or killed by a drone falling unnecessarily from the sky due to a CSC - but I won't feel guilty about. You guys definitely should. I will most certainly pull up these posts if/when it happens and we'll see how superior you act then! (smh)

FYI... Didn't read it.
I'm sure it's all been said before.

For the last time .... I haven't gone back and changed anything.
To "accidentally" CSC you would have to yank the sticks like a crazy chimp - that's got nothing to do with your child, its behaviour or your parenting skills.
If you feel so strongly about CSC, go and tell DJI because they aren't here.
Ranting here won't get your message across to them.
That doesn't tell you that you aren't welcome here or what you should post here.

Your rant seems to be based on a very distorted interpretation of things you think I said but never did.
It's full of the things you accuse me of .. arrogance, anger, pomposity, bullying etc.

Here are a few of the community rules.
You'd do well to observe them,
We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that people want to visit repeatedly. The Phantom Pilots Forum should be a virtual reflection of how we all hope the community of Phantom enthusiasts would act in the real world. Treat each other with respect just as you would if you were meeting in person for coffee before enjoying a day of flying together in shared airspace. This is a community of friends and partners who are collaborating to encourage and support a growing Phantom Quadcopter community.

2. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.

Reactions: Myetkt
For the last time .... I haven't gone back and changed anything.
To "accidentally" CSC you would have to yank the sticks like a crazy chimp - that's got nothing to do with your child, its behaviour or your parenting skills.
If you feel so strongly about CSC, go and tell DJI because they aren't here.
Ranting here won't get your message across to them.
That doesn't tell you that you aren't welcome here or what you should post here.

Your rant seems to be based on a very distorted interpretation of things you think I said but never did.
It's full of the things you accuse me of .. arrogance, anger, pomposity, bullying etc.

Here are a few of the community rules.
You'd do well to observe them,
We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that people want to visit repeatedly. The Phantom Pilots Forum should be a virtual reflection of how we all hope the community of Phantom enthusiasts would act in the real world. Treat each other with respect just as you would if you were meeting in person for coffee before enjoying a day of flying together in shared airspace. This is a community of friends and partners who are collaborating to encourage and support a growing Phantom Quadcopter community.

2. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.

LOL!

So what is it that make my observations a "rant" but yours are a "balanced perspective"...?

I have never disagreed with you that it's very unlikely that a CSC would be executed by accident. I've never seen a crazy chimp with the controls so I'll take your word for it. Fact is though - we have enough pilots of varying skill levels - they occasionally do happen.

The questions I've been asking you - right from the beginning - at least 5 times now - is:

"*IF** it is possible to make it IMPOSSIBLE to execute an accidental CSC - instead of just EXTREMELY UNLIKELY - then why wouldn't it be a good thing to do?

At this point, I don't care about DJI or what everybody else has said in the past. I want to know why YOU seem to think that a certain number of crashes per year are acceptable - even though we don't know where that Phantom will land - and even though DJI. could prevent the crash!!!

So - why is it okay to allow 1 preventable, random crash per year. How many crashes would have to occur per year before you think it would be worth fixing?

At this point, I don't care about DJI or what everybody else has said in the past. I want to know why YOU seem to think that a certain number of crashes per year are acceptable - even though we don't know where that Phantom will land - and even though DJI. could prevent the crash!!!

So - why is it okay to allow 1 preventable, random crash per year. How many crashes would have to occur per year before you think it would be worth fixing?
Your argument isn't new
You can find where your questions have been answered many times if you bothered to search and read.

Your argument isn't new
You can find where your questions have been answered many times if you bothered to search and read.

Gee...Avoid much?

My last message didn't contain an argument. It didn't ask what the DJI response is or what the member consensus is and it didn't ask for any changes to anything. It was polite and respectful and all it did was ask you to share YOUR opinion!

I'll try one more time!

I have 2 simple questions for you.

1. Why are you against improvements to the emergency stop?
2. How many preventable crashes per year do you think are acceptable?

I think that 0 are acceptable and you disagree - fair enough. So just tell me. What is the threshold for you? What's acceptable and what's not? Where is the cutoff?

You come on here and you tell me repeatedly that I'm wrong (I'm not) but you won't say why YOU think that's true. I'm not asking you to rehash what other people have said - just your own personal opinion. Is there some reason you're avoiding the question?

Last edited:
It's absurd how much Dji and its employees ( and non Dji employees) try and brush this under the rug . It certainly does happen more often then you think. If it could save one phantom a year versus an accidental mid air csc - what's the problem ?

If it was so much of a nonissue then why was the csc procedure revamped via firmware for the p4?

They even Made a video claiming its in the top ten reasons for crashes . ( but later discredit the video ) smh.

you can't believe what the Dji forum admins tell u all the time . Hell they barely know what's going on in the back rooms of Dji . The Dji forum admins that many have spoken to/with ONLY works the online forums . They don't work at the repair centers , they don't work on the phantoms, and they definitely don't review users flight logs . They monitor the forums and that's it .

Reactions: Tenly
It's absurd how much Dji and its employees ( and non Dji employees) try and brush this under the rug . It certainly does happen more often then you think. If it could save one phantom a year versus an accidental mid air csc - what's the problem ?

If it was so much of a nonissue then why was the csc procedure revamped via firmware for the p4?

They even Made a video claiming its in the top ten reasons for crashes . ( but later discredit the video ) smh.

you can't believe what the Dji forum admins tell u all the time . Hell they barely know what's going on in the back rooms of Dji . The Dji forum admins that many have spoken to/with ONLY works the online forums . They don't work at the repair centers , they don't work on the phantoms, and they definitely don't review users flight logs . They monitor the forums and that's it .

Finally a little support ! Thanks for your post.

I get why DJI might want to gloss over CSC as something that could be improved. If they release improvements to the process - many will take that as an admission that the existing system was faulty and perhaps try to sue for their money back on previous repairs that were denied due to pilot error...but I think they could work around that by using verbiage such as "Many of our pilots have found it difficult to activate CSC to stop the motors in an emergency situation so we're make it easier and giving pilots a choice! Pilots will be able to configure the emergency stop command to be triggered by one of 4 different button/stick sequences including one sequence that can be activated using one hand!" Of course that's all marketing gibberish but it would steer the perception away from the feature being "fixed" and present it as an "enhancement" which should take care of any liability issues they might be worried about.

So - yeah - I get why DJI might want to deny there's a problem. I do NOT get why other pilots on the forum feel so strongly AGAINST even looking at the system to see if an improvement is possible!

It makes no sense to me at all as to why some pilots absolutely do not want other people to be better protected from themselves. The improved process would not affect these old-timers at all. For legacy purposes, the existing mechanism would continue to be available as a selection - so it seems more about these people just wanting to exert their will upon others for no reason save for arrogance. It's a completely irresponsible and indefensible position knowing that the alternative results in crashes which could really hurt an innocent bystander - and as a result, all of us and the entire hobby due to the negative publicity and likely even stricter regulations.

Anyone that doesn't think we (and DJI) should do everything possible to prevent all crashes - even those caused by pilot error or a crazy ape getting hold of the controls - is simply an embarrassment to the hobby.

CSC for mid-flight in an emergency would be extremely rare if it ever happens at all.

But when a phantom crashes on the ground or up in a tree and with spinning props and you have a pet or person close by or you need to stop the props so you can safely pick it up, that's when you need CSC.
Many of the injuries in this thread would have been prevented if CSC was used: Quadcopters: Be Safe!! - RC Groups

Once my P3A crashed and was lying upside down trying to eat the grass. I performed CSC, but nothing happened. I had to remove the battery to stop the rotors.

Maybe it is a idea good to change the CSC such that it becomes impossible to accidentally perform it.
Even though there seem to be not many CSC crashes, the idea only scares a lot of people. Look at all the posts regarding this.

Once my P3A crashed and was lying upside down trying to eat the grass. I performed CSC, but nothing happened. I had to remove the battery to stop the rotors.

Maybe it is a idea good to change the CSC such that it becomes impossible to accidentally perform it.
Even though there seem to be not many CSC crashes, the idea only scares a lot of people. Look at all the posts regarding this.
You are agreeing with what most of us think.

The ideal command to be performed whilst your bird was struggling on the ground would be the one that is recommended to kill the motors after landing which is bringing the left stick gradually all the way down and while holding it wait for 3 secs until the motors fully stop.

The ideal command to be performed whilst your bird was struggling on the ground would be the one that is recommended to kill the motors after landing which is bringing the left stick gradually all the way down and while holding it wait for 3 secs until the motors fully stop.
When you need an emergency stop switch, you really don't want a 3 second delay on it.

I don't believe that this will stop the motors when the quad is upside down. To the best of my knowledge, the full down throttle stick only kills the motors when the quad knows that it has landed (upright).

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I don't believe that this will stop the motors when the quad is upside down. To the best of my knowledge, the full down throttle stick only kills the motors when the quad knows that it has landed (upright).

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Right - otherwise a lot of pilots would be in for a nasty surprise as they were trying to descend normally!

Sorry guys, my bad! I did my comment in the early morning and i didn't notice rene van der meer's Drone was upside down. You guys are totally right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic