Is it possible I burned up my iOSD? (swapped ground/power in

Reaction score
Everything was working up until the point I decided to reroute the power to the video tx. Not sure how/why the hell I did it, but I had a bonehead moment and soldered in the power/ground to the vtx in backwards and powered up. I then quickly realized my mistake, shut everything down and fixed it. However, I am no longer receiving video.

I disconnected everything and tested the vtx and camera out of the iOSD/vmu loop and they seem to be working just fine. It's not until I wire the iOSD between the vtx and camera that I no longer receive video.

I can't figure out why the mistake would take out the iOSD or VMU, but maybe someone can shed some light?

13456754303_a9af1bbf32.jpg

ebupybe6.jpg

Re: Is it possible I burned up my iOSD? (swapped ground/powe

I did the same thing I only get a solid red on my iosd! :?: can't update either someone share a solution please :|

In the upper plug in your pic (the one that takes the video feed from the iOSD), what is the red lead connected to? That's a power output lead, and if you ran power down it to some other component, you could have damaged whatever that was.

rcimpulse said:
I did the same thing I only get a solid green on my iosd! :?:

I get a flashing green on the iOSD, which should indicate that it is 'communicating'.

Did you swap yours back/fix the issue?

OI Photography said:
In the upper plug in your pic (the one that takes the video feed from the iOSD), what is the red lead connected to? That's a power output lead, and if you ran power down it to some other component, you could have damaged whatever that was.

That is the power supply for the 600TVL camera. That wasn't swapped with anything and working.

What I swapped (ground/power) was the bottom plug, which I initially had powered via the balance lead. I wanted to clean things up, so I wired it into the power lead that comes off the board (v 1.1.1). This is what I wired backwards. I'm wondering if that ground feeds into the top plug somehow, which would have sent voltage up through the ground and back to the iOSD?

Howzit said:
OI Photography said:

That is the power supply for the 600TVL camera. That wasn't swapped with anything and working.

What I swapped (ground/power) was the bottom plug, which I initially had powered via the balance lead. I wanted to clean things up, so I wired it into the power lead that comes off the board (v 1.1.1). This is what I wired backwards. I'm wondering if that ground feeds into the top plug somehow, which would have sent voltage up through the ground and back to the iOSD?

K, just checking, and yes, I believe the ground for the video cable just loops right out to the ground on the power cable...so what you did could indeed have sent power back up the GND to the iOSD. Sounds like it might have only burned out the port and not the whole thing if you still get he blinking green light...but replacing just that may be more trouble than it's worth. Sounds like you've isolated that pretty well as the source of the problem at least. It's pretty easy to open the case on the iOSD and take a peek inside.

OI Photography said:
Howzit said:
OI Photography said:

K, just checking, and yes, I believe the ground for the video cable just loops right out to the ground on the power cable...so what you did could indeed have sent power back up the GND to the iOSD. Sounds like it might have only burned out the port and not the whole thing if you still get he blinking green light...but replacing just that may be more trouble than it's worth. Sounds like you've isolated that pretty well as the source of the problem at least. It's pretty easy to open the case on the iOSD and take a peek inside.

Sigh.

Do you think it's possible it blew out the VMU as well? I'm not an electronics guru by any stretch of the imagination, so I wouldn't know where to begin on how to test either unit. My only thought now is to order a new IOSD and wire it up to rule it out.

Howzit said:
Sigh.

Do you think it's possible it blew out the VMU as well? I'm not an electronics guru by any stretch of the imagination, so I wouldn't know where to begin on how to test either unit. My only thought now is to order a new IOSD and wire it up to rule it out.

Are you talking about the voltage regulator for the fatshark gear? I wasn't thinking about that. Does the video feed go through that too or just the power?

OI Photography said:
Howzit said:
Sigh.

Are you talking about the voltage regulator for the fatshark gear? I wasn't thinking about that. Does the video feed go through that too or just the power?

No, I mean the DJI PMU-V2 (phantom 1 doesn't have a can bus).

The only fatshark gear is the video transmitter and that sends a clear picture when its powered up outside the OSD/PMU loop and feeding into the camera directly.

The PMU plugs into NAZA (and GPS), then the iOSD plugs into the PMU. If voltage was sent back up to the iOSD, I'm wondering if its possible that the voltage continued through it and into the PMU?

If it still flys then PMU is good.

EMCSQUAR said:

Even if its an add-on PMU? Remember, the v1 doesn't come with a built in PMU like the p2.

Tho, I suppose I can button everything up and check? Since the GPS and compass module goes through the PMU before the NAZA, I suppose that would be a good test?

This is what I am using:

2523.jpg

EMCSQUAR said:

+1, if the NAZA powers on at all (which it is if you're getting the blinking green on the iOSD) the PMU should be fine.

OI Photography said:
EMCSQUAR said:

+1, if the NAZA powers on at all (which it is if you're getting the blinking green on the iOSD) the PMU should be fine.

Indeed it does. I even get the normal green/red "acquiring satellites" and then the constant green "more than 6 satellites". I haven't tried to fly it, but it seems to operate as normal during warm up.

I just ordered a new iOSD. I will test that out in a couple days when it arrives and report back. I REALLY hope this is the issue, otherwise I will be very bummed/perplexed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik