Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Is it ok to start up on a metal platform?

Discussion in 'Phantom 1 Help' started by Kdog355, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Kdog355

Hi, I was at a football field today and started up from the bleachers which everything is made of metal. I intitialized and took off in itti mode. After about 10 seconds I got a continious flashing red light. I landed thinking it was a low battery. I tried another battery, initialized and got the same thing. When I got home, I checked the batteries and I had full charges on both of them. I tested my Phantom and everything was fine with no flashing red lights.

My question is, can a metal platform effect the compass/electronics in the Phantom?

thanks, :)

2. Audaciter

The compass is very sensitive to being around metal objects. you may have to do an advanced calibration. to see
    if it brings everything back into specs. Then you will have to re initialize the compass outdoors again.

3. oldengineer

I tried taking off from the roof of my car once, but it didn't like it.

...Likewise thick concrete can make the compass go crazy, had that a couple of times.

4. Buk

Buk

Some bleachers are aluminum. If they had been aluminum, would this have made any difference?

5. rsfoto

6. Audaciter

The bleachers may be aluminum, but the support structure, and nuts and bolts are steel.
    Also, thick concrete will have heavy steel re-bar inside to keep it from cracking.

7. Kdog355

Come to think of it, I think they are aluminum. Ok, well, I'm always learning something new about the Phantom.

thanks for the replys.