Is it ok to start up on a metal platform?

Reaction score
Hi, I was at a football field today and started up from the bleachers which everything is made of metal. I intitialized and took off in itti mode. After about 10 seconds I got a continious flashing red light. I landed thinking it was a low battery. I tried another battery, initialized and got the same thing. When I got home, I checked the batteries and I had full charges on both of them. I tested my Phantom and everything was fine with no flashing red lights.

My question is, can a metal platform effect the compass/electronics in the Phantom?

thanks, :)

The compass is very sensitive to being around metal objects. you may have to do an advanced calibration. to see
if it brings everything back into specs. Then you will have to re initialize the compass outdoors again.

I tried taking off from the roof of my car once, but it didn't like it.

...Likewise thick concrete can make the compass go crazy, had that a couple of times.

Some bleachers are aluminum. If they had been aluminum, would this have made any difference?

The bleachers may be aluminum, but the support structure, and nuts and bolts are steel.
Also, thick concrete will have heavy steel re-bar inside to keep it from cracking.

Come to think of it, I think they are aluminum. Ok, well, I'm always learning something new about the Phantom.

thanks for the replys.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20