Is it Just Me?Or P2 Non Visions are obsolete on this forum?

Re: Is it Just Me?Or P2 Non Visions are obsolete on this for

Did you happen to test out the tape mod? viewtopic.php?t=19936

Its designed to reduce noise, but it just might be the power coming from Phantom to the GPH4 that is causing the lock up.

Damon said:
Did you happen to test out the tape mod? viewtopic.php?t=19936

Its designed to reduce noise, but it just might be the power coming from Phantom to the GPH4 that is causing the lock up.

Cheers once again, nothing to lose eh, I'll give it a go Tomorrow. :D

I'm out of options after this ;)

for starters Damon is of course correct - a GoPro does indeed have an "idle turn off timer" where if you leave it on, it will shut itself off automatically after X minutes to save battery, and this setting can be disabled so that does not happen.
Furthermore, that only applies when the GoPro is NOT recording. As long as you hit the record button and are recording your flights the gopro will never just turn off, unless perhaps it fills the SD card and stops recording, AND you have the sleep timer enabled. but honestly get yourself a couple of 16GB or 32GB SD cards, keep them clean so one doesn't fill up mid-flight and record all your flights. and disable the gopro sleep timer.

Eric, almost nobody does a separate FPV camera. I've seen a few guys yes... but I literally mean like 2 ever... extremely rare cases for some specific purpose. I don't know where you got told that the gopro isn't a good or reliable FPV camera, as far as I'm concerned the whole product is designed to use the gopro for that purpose, it works wonderfully so I don't see any point in adding additional weight and equipment. Besides, if you're recording videos with the gopro don't you want to see what you're recording?
The Zenmuse gimbals bring the video signal back up to the Phantom mainboard specifically to use it as a live FPV feed... all you need is an appropriate PnP cable to get that signal, link it through the iOSD Mini, and then out to a video transmitter. As mentioned earlier there are theoretically some things that if they all lined up perfectly, could cause the gopro to shut off during flight. Disabling the sleep timer on the gopro, making sure your SD cards have enough room to record the entire flight... some VERY basic things you should be doing anyway will prevent any problems of that nature. Don't forget there's always the Failsafe option which will bring the Phantom back home where you can switch to Line of Sight flying to bring it in to land. This happened to me once, I was running my GoPro on battery power (not powering it from the Phantom) and the battery died... poof no FPV. but no big deal... I flipped Failsafe, the Phantom flew back overhead and then I resumed control to land. easy!

The iOSD Mini does a lot more than show your height, we refer to the entire suite of information it gives you as "flight telemetry data". Altitude, distance from home point, compass heading, climb/descend rate, lateral velocity, battery level, flight computer mode (GPS, ATTi, Failsafe)... all of this is extremely valuable info when you're talking about FPV flight with a Phantom.

Thanks for the great info! I have read multiple comments on gopros turning off, but it sounds like it was most likely user error :) The only reason I would consider an additional camera is that it seems that it may be difficult to fly the quad when everything looks stable and level from the gimbal... That is what I meant by "does the mini iosd show the attitude" not altitude. I guess I just need to buy one...somebody tell my wife that I need a Phantom ;)
Great point on the RTL feature. I appreciate all of the info!

Nope. I have a P2 with gimbal and the Hero 3 Black Edition.

But, I don't put down anyone else's choice. It was a no brainer, for me, since I had the Hero. I do wish that DJI had made this model with 5.8Mhz as the transmitter frequency (like one model) so I could use 2.4Ghz from the Hero. After all, I would guess that many who buy this version, intend to use a Hero camera.

But, I could change it with a new transmitter and receiver.

Gopro H3 Wifi (not sure about H4) is not useable at all on a quad. I tried it on my 5.8GHz FC40. It has a terrible lag of at least 2 seconds and a range of 50 yards max.
And be glad your P2 is 2.4Ghz. 5.8 has less range and penetration.

Ericf said:
Thanks for the great info! I have read multiple comments on gopros turning off, but it sounds like it was most likely user error :) The only reason I would consider an additional camera is that it seems that it may be difficult to fly the quad when everything looks stable and level from the gimbal... That is what I meant by "does the mini iosd show the attitude" not altitude. I guess I just need to buy one...somebody tell my wife that I need a Phantom ;)
Great point on the RTL feature. I appreciate all of the info!

sorry ATTITUDE, I didn't read correctly. There is indeed an attitude indicator and it's really not hard at all to fly your Phantom with FPV... obviously you do a combination of both FPV and LOS piloting depending how far away it is, even when it goes so far away you have no more LOS as long as you have decent situational awareness and don't fly into anything... the Gopro gives a pretty good view of everything in front of the Phantom even in "narrow" FOV setting you have a very good view.

PhantomFanatic said:
I do wish that DJI had made this model with 5.8Mhz as the transmitter frequency (like one model) so I could use 2.4Ghz from the Hero. After all, I would guess that many who buy this version, intend to use a Hero camera.

the range of the wifi in the GoPro (perhaps 50-75m) is not anywhere near the operational range of the Phantom (2000+ m), even aside from the lag factor which is significant.... basically the GoPro's wifi is NOT adequate for FPV flight. The intent for pilots that want FPV is to add an iOSD Mini and 5.8Ghz video transmitter / receiver. Yes it costs a bit to do right but the overall price for adding a really nice 5.8Ghz FPV kit with peripherals, antennas, etc. is still well under $500 (us)... put another way, it's only slightly more expensive than the Phantom Vision+, and your range and video quality is far better.
don't change your RC transmitter/receiver :)

PhantomFanatic said:
Nope. I have a P2 with gimbal and the Hero 3 Black Edition.

But, I don't put down anyone else's choice. It was a no brainer, for me, since I had the Hero. I do wish that DJI had made this model with 5.8Mhz as the transmitter frequency (like one model) so I could use 2.4Ghz from the Hero. After all, I would guess that many who buy this version, intend to use a Hero camera.

Isn't the Bluetooth in the camera only good for 30 feet or so. That still wouldn't make a very good FPV option.

Bluegrass said:
Isn't the Bluetooth in the camera only good for 30 feet or so. That still wouldn't make a very good FPV option.

The Hero3 only did Wifi. The Hero4 has Bluetooth but somehow it still works in conjunction with wifi, I'm not completely sure about all that but I do know that my Hero4 requires both Bluetooth and wifi for the app to work with my phone.

anyway you're correct that neither is even remotely a good option for FPV

QYV said:
Bluegrass said:

The Hero3 only did Wifi. The Hero4 has Bluetooth but somehow it still works in conjunction with wifi, I'm not completely sure about all that but I do know that my Hero4 requires both Bluetooth and wifi for the app to work with my phone.

anyway you're correct that neither is even remotely a good option for FPV

I've been down that path. I was looking for a solution to hook up a Gopro to the Vision + and use the device as an FPV. I could live with the 2 sec lag as i rarely do distance flights.

Firstly - I don't know why gopro introduced Bluetooth to the 4 in the first place. All it does is handshaking to assist in pairing the wifi with the remote. Once the wifi is established, it disconnects the Bluetooth.

Secondly - range. The transmitting range on the Hero3+ BE is horrible. You get best about 75 feet. I used an N router with DD-WRT to create a wireless bridge to boost the range. I got and extra 25ft. It becomes very cumbersome for nearly no gains. For this to work, you need a portable wifi extender in the phantom and on the remote. It is doable but not worth the headache.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub