Is it Just Me?Or P2 Non Visions are obsolete on this forum?

Re: Is it Just Me?Or P2 Non Visions are obsolete on this for

Ericf said:
Hey guys, I don't own a phantom yet but I am researching the heck out of them. I can't seem to find any conclusive info on some questions I have: if I buy the P2 version 2 without the zenmuse, could I use a non-dji gimbal and be able to control it with the radio system that comes with the base model? I see so many forum posts about people having issues with the DJI gimbal and I don't want the vision +. I would prefer to use the gopro and my fpv gear is 5.8. I appreciate any suggestions for this topic or any tips for a new phantom owner. Didn't want to start a new topic because these may be stupid questions...ha! Thanks!

This is the best gimbal on the market today bar none. I can fly my P2 non vision at 400 feet, in wind, and it looks like the video is on a pole.

Check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_PwgfLF6G4

Darren

CameraGuy said:
This is the best gimbal on the market today bar none. I can fly my P2 non vision at 400 feet, in wind, and it looks like the video is on a pole.

are you referring to the H3-3D or some other product? your post and video doesn't really say heh :)

QYV said:
CameraGuy said:

are you referring to the H3-3D or some other product? your post and video doesn't really say heh :)

Yes I am referring to the H3 3D. The video and the post both refer to this gimbal.

Buy what you want, but swimming upstream will not help you. Buy a DJI solution. When you are way more educated, you will either stick with DJI, hate DJI, or be able to build your own.

I've learned to hate DJI for costing me $3K in Phantom 1 issues, but have learned to be much happier with Phantom 2/H3 3D solutions.

That doesn't mean I won't hate them again if I loose my P2! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Pffffft, I'm still rocking the P1, Not 1.1.1 or whatever....the old school original one. :)

Thanks guys! I had a feeling there was a reason to only seeing the zenmuse being used. I appreciate the response! Here is my plan, I would appreciate any feedback!
Phantom 2 version 2
Zenmuse gimbal
Non-dji 5.8ghz fpv equipment.
Is it worth buying their fpv solutions and mini iosd?

Thanks!

Mini Iosd definitely. Dji transmitter is a heavy weight compared to the likes of the Immersion 600. A good set of after market antennas would help too

Ericf said:
Thanks guys! I had a feeling there was a reason to only seeing the zenmuse being used. I appreciate the response! Here is my plan, I would appreciate any feedback!
Phantom 2 version 2
Zenmuse gimbal
Non-dji 5.8ghz fpv equipment.
Is it worth buying their fpv solutions and mini iosd?

Thanks!

the iOSD Mini overlays telemetry info over the gopro image before it's transmitted out, regardless of what transmitter you wind up with so yes, an iOSD Mini is extremely valuable and works with whatever aftermarket FPV equipment you get.

short answer is no, not worth getting the DJI FPV hub and AVL58. it's more expensive, heavier, and generates less power than cheaper aftermarket options.
Go check out the stickythread in the FPV forum called "lowest prices" , in there you'll find transmitters, plug-and-play cable (instead of FPV hub), and other peripherals.

Thank you for all of the info!

QYV said:
the iOSD Mini overlays telemetry info over the gopro image before it's transmitted out, regardless of what transmitter you wind up with so yes, an iOSD Mini is extremely valuable and works with whatever aftermarket FPV equipment you get.

short answer is no, not worth getting the DJI FPV hub and AVL58. it's more expensive, heavier, and generates less power than cheaper aftermarket options.
Go check out the stickythread in the FPV forum called "lowest prices" , in there you'll find transmitters, plug-and-play cable (instead of FPV hub), and other peripherals.

So are you flying through your gopro on your gimbal or do you have a dedicated fpv cam? I've heard the gopro isn't the most reliable fpv cam because it will randomly turn off? From the screen shots I've seen, it looks at though the mini iosd helps you see the attitude of your quad when looking through a stabilized camera to fly. Thanks!

I've never had my gopro turn off. Not sure where you read that. I know that gopro has settings to have it turn off after certain time, but set it to manually shut off and you will not see that happen.

Ericf said:
So are you flying through your gopro on your gimbal or do you have a dedicated fpv cam? I've heard the gopro isn't the most reliable fpv cam because it will randomly turn off? From the screen shots I've seen, it looks at though the mini iosd helps you see the attitude of your quad when looking through a stabilized camera to fly. Thanks!

Damon said:
I've never had my gopro turn off. Not sure where you read that. I know that gopro has settings to have it turn off after certain time, but set it to manually shut off and you will not see that happen.

for starters Damon is of course correct - a GoPro does indeed have an "idle turn off timer" where if you leave it on, it will shut itself off automatically after X minutes to save battery, and this setting can be disabled so that does not happen.
Furthermore, that only applies when the GoPro is NOT recording. As long as you hit the record button and are recording your flights the gopro will never just turn off, unless perhaps it fills the SD card and stops recording, AND you have the sleep timer enabled. but honestly get yourself a couple of 16GB or 32GB SD cards, keep them clean so one doesn't fill up mid-flight and record all your flights. and disable the gopro sleep timer.

Eric, almost nobody does a separate FPV camera. I've seen a few guys yes... but I literally mean like 2 ever... extremely rare cases for some specific purpose. I don't know where you got told that the gopro isn't a good or reliable FPV camera, as far as I'm concerned the whole product is designed to use the gopro for that purpose, it works wonderfully so I don't see any point in adding additional weight and equipment. Besides, if you're recording videos with the gopro don't you want to see what you're recording?
The Zenmuse gimbals bring the video signal back up to the Phantom mainboard specifically to use it as a live FPV feed... all you need is an appropriate PnP cable to get that signal, link it through the iOSD Mini, and then out to a video transmitter. As mentioned earlier there are theoretically some things that if they all lined up perfectly, could cause the gopro to shut off during flight. Disabling the sleep timer on the gopro, making sure your SD cards have enough room to record the entire flight... some VERY basic things you should be doing anyway will prevent any problems of that nature. Don't forget there's always the Failsafe option which will bring the Phantom back home where you can switch to Line of Sight flying to bring it in to land. This happened to me once, I was running my GoPro on battery power (not powering it from the Phantom) and the battery died... poof no FPV. but no big deal... I flipped Failsafe, the Phantom flew back overhead and then I resumed control to land. easy!

The iOSD Mini does a lot more than show your height, we refer to the entire suite of information it gives you as "flight telemetry data". Altitude, distance from home point, compass heading, climb/descend rate, lateral velocity, battery level, flight computer mode (GPS, ATTi, Failsafe)... all of this is extremely valuable info when you're talking about FPV flight with a Phantom.

QYV you are unequivocally the FPV guru on this forum. Keep up the good work ;)

Damon said:
QYV you are unequivocally the FPV guru on this forum. Keep up the good work ;)

hah there's plenty of people that know more than me I'm just trying to help... this community helps me out a lot

I was actually going to start a new thread and ask this question but we seem to be in the right area here so:

I have recently bought and fitted a zenmuse gimbal, very pleased with the results so far, however, My Hero4 Gopro 'does' randomly stop recording when installed on the gimbal.

Out of about ten flights, half have worked perfectly, the other half have stopped recording as the phantom has armed.

On the occasions when the recording has stopped, randomly, the hero4 has frozen up and cannot be switched off so I've had to remove the battery.

The gopro behaves impeccably in all other situations, on other quads and hand held.

Anybody got any idea what's going on here please?

I do not own a GPH4 but I've read of this occurring. I suspect it might be the memory card, especially if recording 4K. I believe the card can not write the data fast enough. You do not want to be cheap when buying a card for the GP. Find the best card available, also to test this theory turn your recording image down to 2.7k or 1080 to confirm.

Also make sure you have the latest GP firmware installed, since they are still fairly new and lots of problems can be eliminated by firmware upgrades ( except for the case of DJI ;) )

Damon said:
I do not own a GPH4 but I've read of this occurring. I suspect it might be the memory card, especially if recording 4K. I believe the card can not write the data fast enough. You do not want to be cheap when buying a card for the GP. Find the best card available, also to test this theory turn your recording image down to 2.7k or 1080 to confirm.

Also make sure you have the latest GP firmware installed, since they are still fairly new and lots of problems can be eliminated by firmware upgrades ( except for the case of DJI ;) )

Thanks Damon. It's not the memory card, I have 3 different high grade, high write speed cards and as I say, the gopro works fine in all other situations with these cards.

I reckon it's an issue with the video output plug signal stopping the Gopro recording. I set the camera up and it is recording until I power up the phantom , then the camera stops recording and freezes. (not every time though).

I'm willing to bet if I remove the video output plug from the Gopro, the issue will disappear but, A. I don't want that flimsy cable blowing around in the wind and B. I am going to use it in the future for FPV, so I have to figure out why the Phantom is freezing my camera.

I will remove the Video output cable and see if that's where the problem lies but as for fixing it who knows. :?

If that's the case you might consider taping off all of the ribbon except for the two legs that are used only for video. The down side is the gopro will no longer get a charge from the phantom. Search forum as this mod is in the forum somewhere. viewtopic.php?t=19936

Could it be the side "memory button" being pushed?

GoPro Hero 4 Black on DJI Phantom 2 and Zenmuse g…: http://youtu.be/U5bnd7M7oyI

Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal Mod For Hero4 - GoPro Tip #3…: http://youtu.be/P8jplqLcmek

Damon said:
If that's the case you might consider taping off all of the ribbon except for the two legs that are used only for video. The down side is the gopro will no longer get a charge from the phantom. Search forum as this mod is in the forum somewhere. viewtopic.php?t=19936

Could it be the side "memory button" being pushed?

GoPro Hero 4 Black on DJI Phantom 2 and Zenmuse g…: http://youtu.be/U5bnd7M7oyI

Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal Mod For Hero4 - GoPro Tip #3…: http://youtu.be/P8jplqLcmek

Now then :D Why would it work sometimes but not others, maybe if the button is pressed in sometimes but not others. This is sounding very likely Damon. If my hero 3 works every time whilst plugged in then it must be the button issue.

I'm off to experiment, Thanks again Damon.

I have gsd a faulty GoPro3+ black that developed an intermittent shutdown during flight. The SD card was an extremely fast r/w card. It eventually would not even switch off without taking the battery out. I reported it to GoPro and they replaced the camera with a brand new one. The original was 7 months old. Went very slick. I had the replacement one in 2 weeks.

IrishSights said:
I have gsd a faulty GoPro3+ black that developed an intermittent shutdown during flight. The SD card was an extremely fast r/w card. It eventually would not even switch off without taking the battery out. I reported it to GoPro and they replaced the camera with a brand new one. The original was 7 months old. Went very slick. I had the replacement one in 2 weeks.

Thanks Irishsights. I have just done 4 testflights, 2 with the video out cable plugged into the Hero4 and 2 with it unplugged. The camera froze and recorded nothing with the cable plugged in, requiring battery removal to shut down, however it performed flawlessly with the cable out.

So there we are, the camera, sd card and side button all pass muster, the gimbal to Gopro cable , when plugged in causes the camera to malfunction. Why that should be is beyond me and I do need a solution so I can go FPV but at least I can film my flights for now.

Thanks for your input guys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic