Is it just me, or is the "Last week's most popular topics" getting dumber?

Reaction score
Not to be an old curmudgeon [tho at 75, I am one], I'm gradually losing interest in reading "Last week's most popular topics". I realize it's easy to look at numbers and select on that basis, but it seems to me to increasingly be on topics that have been discussed before. It's like those who start topics in every sub-topic [P3, P4, etc] don't bother to search for previous threads that might have the answers. "I'm so precious; I can't waste my time." [because my attention span is so short and I'm a snowflake; individual in every way].

It's easier to just start an new one, and that leads to watering down of the whole site. I've only been here since Oct 2015, and I used to spend an hour or two reading the links. On this latest one, it was under ten minutes. It seemed increasingly like dumb questions with dumb replies and done before many times.

It's been said long ago that there are no dumb questions, but there are. Questions that have already been answered but you're too lazy to look for them, for example.

"Most popular" leads to dumbing down. Would it be possible to either replace it, or add "best topics", which would require some human intervention? I could support that option to compensate the people who do the work with $$.

In the meantime, the weekly "Most popular" is increasingly a waste of my time.

Example:
"What about folding props?" Many answers, but the writer persists. No room for DJI props, yet willing to add 10 pounds in a backpack to hold folding props which are a bad idea....
Gimme a break. This may have a high response count and be among the most popular, but it's garbage.

The GIGO rule still applies: Garbage in, garbage out. And that increasingly applies to the weekly "Most Popular".

BTW, it was this live-aboard dive trip in Sept 2015 that inspired me to buy a P3P when I got home, and a P4 since.
Lee Burghard
Paradise Found

You are right, most of the questions asked have been already answered but if someone is in trouble with his investment, he wants to draw attention of experts to answer his particular question. It's natural, nothing much can be done.

Phantom is the same except the newbies and the revised SW/FW. It's obvious that questions will be repeated, let them be :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You can't un-dumb the Internet. People are lazy, they want to be spoon-fed, and sadly, a huge percentage of them are mind-numbingly stupid.

Reactions: Fat Daddy
You are right, most of the questions asked have been already answered but if someone is in trouble with his investment, he wants to draw attention of experts to answer his particular question. It's natural, nothing much can be done.

Phantom is the same except the newbies and the revised SW/FW. It's obvious that questions will be repeated, let them be :)

Nothing much can be done? You've given up on progress. And a smiley to you!

Let them be? Looks like you're more Beatles and I'm Stones. I'm 75. You say Let it Be and I say Gimme Shelter. See that icon? That's me with two others on the deck of The Seven Seas dive boat in Sept 2015.

I'm not saying newbs should be excluded from re-inventing the wheel as the site evolves. Let them dominate "most popular" aka largest number of replies. I was a newb less than a year ago.

But as the number of newbs increase, the good stuff is lost in the noise, and GOOD info may be ignored because it's not popular.

That's my argument for good versus popular, and why a few of us might contribute a few bucks to someone who will take on the task of sorting out the garbage and finding the good stuff, and concentrating it into another weekly email, and cut out all the crap.

I think it's worth a shot!

Not to be an old curmudgeon [tho at 75, I am one], I'm gradually losing interest in reading "Last week's most popular topics". I realize it's easy to look at numbers and select on that basis, but it seems to me to increasingly be on topics that have been discussed before. It's like those who start topics in every sub-topic [P3, P4, etc] don't bother to search for previous threads that might have the answers. "I'm so precious; I can't waste my time." [because my attention span is so short and I'm a snowflake; individual in every way].

It's easier to just start an new one, and that leads to watering down of the whole site. I've only been here since Oct 2015, and I used to spend an hour or two reading the links. On this latest one, it was under ten minutes. It seemed increasingly like dumb questions with dumb replies and done before many times.

It's been said long ago that there are no dumb questions, but there are. Questions that have already been answered but you're too lazy to look for them, for example.

"Most popular" leads to dumbing down. Would it be possible to either replace it, or add "best topics", which would require some human intervention? I could support that option to compensate the people who do the work with $$.

In the meantime, the weekly "Most popular" is increasingly a waste of my time.

Example:
"What about folding props?" Many answers, but the writer persists. No room for DJI props, yet willing to add 10 pounds in a backpack to hold folding props which are a bad idea....
Gimme a break. This may have a high response count and be among the most popular, but it's garbage.

The GIGO rule still applies: Garbage in, garbage out. And that increasingly applies to the weekly "Most Popular".

BTW, it was this live-aboard dive trip in Sept 2015 that inspired me to buy a P3P when I got home, and a P4 since.
Lee Burghard
Paradise Found

Welcome to the internet.... That is how things are. It is like sitting around ragging about how stupid society is. There isn't much anyone can do about it. It is pointless to rage about it.

I for one get tired of seeing people say " search is your friend"... I search things out, but seriously, just answer... It also doesn't "water down" anything. The smart people that want to look for the hard questions can use the search tool!

I have been using forums for a LONG time and what I am constantly used to seeing are the stupid threads of, "should i get this or that" "which is better, this or that"

However, people like those posts. For an example, post a meaningful question on Facebook and see how much interest and response you get. Then post something trivial like "who loves coffee?" and see how many responses you get...

Do I want things to be more intelligent, more meaningful? YES. Is anything going to be done about it? No

This post is just as stupid as the "which phantom is better posts" It is just the same. It isn't talking about any phantom specific issues, or problems. Nor talking about the drone industry, etc.

It is just you giving your opinion. It is just the same as the other drivel out there. Not to be disrespectful, but seriously, think about it.... Still want to rage?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1