Is it just me or do others have this fear?

Yes I am always nervous when the bird is in the air, and relax when safely back in the nest(case).
I fly very safely over empty fields and along the coastline,and on top of mountains.
I learned on a Hubsan which I flew and crashed many times,but learned the basic skills which are now almost automatic.
I always fly LOS and max altitude is 600 feet, and never more than about 800 feet away,never crashed the P2+,but when I do , I do not mind, I have had my moneys worth already,150 flights, so only a few £s/$ per flight. I will enjoy repairing it, if I crash ,assuming I can find it.
Oh and I always hand catch.

Last edited:
I am a new (very new) pilot and I was just wondering if a simulator like RealFlight would help in flying skills for a new pilot like myself. Bought a p2 (new) last month and before I bought it I read and studied, looked at tons of video's for for over a year. I have been flying it, just getting use to the controls on the TX to see how the P2 reacts. I have probably a total of 1 hr. on the P2. Yes, I would hate to loose my P2 as well but I'm taking it slow and learn as I go. However, in the future if I loose my P2 no fault of my own, just decides to fly off on it's own (which does happen sometimes) I'll just have to suck it up and buy another one I guess. Like someone else said on this thread, it is suppose to be a fun hobby and I do enjoy it if now just putting around as I gain confidence in my flying skills. Safe flying

Last edited:
Yes despite owning a P1 since September 2013 & a P2 since December last year I still have a strong nervousness before I do a fresh batch of flights. And am most relaxed after the last flight and I know I am going home with the same equipment. in the same condition as when I started! I think my main fears are over the P2 batteries. So far they have performed as expected but I don't like the idea that they might drop from a high percentage to a low one quickly and the craft goes into auto land. Given the nature of the hobby where you can never guarantee when you are able to fly the batteries are either fully charged or depleted. And now that DJI removed that firmware upgrade that gave you the auto storage mode after about 10 days there is not much you can do!

bill

Reactions: hychewright
Man you really hit a cord with me $1k is alot to lose. I am so scared to fly over 65 feet - I flew over my house and was excited that I could do it, (about 40 feet) --and land in the back yard all by instrument-

This is harder than it looks, guys..lets be honest. Practice can make us more confident, but fly-off stories don't help build that in us newbies

I am new to flying quads and have learned many valuable tips on here about operating my P3P. I have been flying now for about 6 weeks with no bad experiences, but I must admit, that I still have a fear of losing my P3P. How long does it take to develop an absolute trust with this machine, I have done extensive reading and watching Youtube videos and feel as though I have a pretty good working knowledge of it. From what I can determine from most crashes, it's been pilot error, but those crash videos still make me over protective of my P3P. Whenever I fly over water or lose site of it, my hands get sweaty and my pulse races until it back to safe ground. The only time I really feel comfortable flying is when I'm in an open field with LOS, I have flown FPV but not without trepidation. I truly want to get past this fear and would love to hear how others have overcome it.

Maybe I shouldn't have given my P3P a name, I feel like she is part of the family now.

I think that is where the fun is is the adrenaline rush. Drone flying unless on a course is relatively boring or uneventful. It's where you get far enough out where you actually start walking towards it or causes you to get up out of thee chair saying "oh shi%+ oh shi%+. Then getting it back. Kinda like surviving a roller coaster ride. You just so glad you lived it puts a smile on your face

When I first had my new Phantom 3 Pro' quad in the air, I probably felt much like you do. Trepidation and fear. And I wasn't even a new pilot. It was just intimidating, probably due to the initial layout. Cost.
But then each additional time I took it up, I would go up a bit higher and also a bit further out. Pretty soon, I felt I could turn off beginner mode and just go for it. Everything was great, it flew fine, responded exceptionally quickly to my radio commands, and it just always felt rock solid.
Flying with a forum friend, just the other day, he mentioned that he has never flown quite as high or far away as I intentionally do now.
It just feels right, to sail out as far as can be. LOS and enjoy the feeling of ultimate freedom it brings me. I can fly, I can fly. ;-)
In time you will earn to trust your piloting skills and the awesome intelligence of the Phantom 3 Pro. Happy landing.

RedHotPoker

I'm always anxious - so much so that I rarely fly it for fun. I'm trying to get over it, so I've challenged myself to take more sunrise and sunset pics, rather than just pictures and videos of real estate.

sunset kdh.jpg

It is a good idea to get a cheap drone with a similar control layout like the x5c - you can go crazy with it and crash as much as you want and it will be fine, seems to get some of the anxiety out of my system.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers