Is it a safety thing?

Meta4

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
The FAA ban on commercial use isn't just about safety.
Seems that lobbying from vested interests worried about competition is also a big factor.
https://gigaom.com/2015/01/15/pilot-pre ... on-drones/

It's the only explanation for the FAA allowing open recreational use by many thousands but refusing to allow commercial use by a much smaller number of operators who are going to be a lot less risky in their flying.

Meta4 said:
Seems that lobbying from vested interests worried about competition is also a big factor.

It's the only explanation for the FAA allowing open recreational use by many thousands but refusing to allow commercial use by a much smaller number of operators who are going to be a lot less risky in their flying.

The government protecting special interest groups?!? Say it isn't so ;)

Meta4 said:

Lobbying is a big part of almost all government rulings. That is why I worry that the AMA isn't drone supportive. I recommend membership in the drone association that I have mentioned before.

If hams didn't have the American Radio Relay League, I don't think we would be on the air. If we were, no doubt that our band space would be very limited.

I don't think we have ANYONE lobbying for recreational drone use and smaller commercial drone companies. Surely, the movie industry will be able to use them as will farmers, etc. But for someone who just wants a small drone business (filming) I worry about that. Who is supporting them? We can only hope the FAA treats the little operations fairly.

Meta4, that certainly makes sense. It does help that there are US laws and existing FAA regulations that let them get away with this (so far). The private pilot license requirement is totally bogus though. It's a wonder that not one person has challenged it yet (or maybe we just didn't hear about it).

When is any thing they ever say is all about safety or "its for the children" EVER about any thing other then there special interests or ever really about safety?????? politicians could care less really about any ones safety unless it gets them votes or bribe money from what ever special interests need them to crush some thing in the NAME and guise of safety.

its for your safety or its for the children are things one must say when they need to get some bs passed that they are having a hard time shoving some thing down every ones throat that they are trying to pedal.

Politics: The gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising of protecting each from the other. Root words that the word Politics derives form is poly and tic. Meaning poly as in many and tics which are a type of little blood sucking insects. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.