Is GPS Mode dangerous?

Reaction score
I am a newbie, and looking to understand the differences between GPS mode and AT&T mode. I prefer to use GPS as the control is so much smoother and stable and flight is easier, while ATT is looser and the quad tends to slide a lot more when maneuvering. I am not sure if I need to adjust any radio or NAZA settings, or if GPS should be night and day difference from ATT?
Also heard that GPS is not a good idea to always use because loss of signal can cause a crash?
Would appreciate any feedback!

if you are a noob, then i would suggest sticking with GPS mode until you are comfortable with controlling the craft. in GPS mode, the craft will try to stay in the last known position that it received input from you. meaning that if you were flying and then let go of the control sticks the craft will stay put (no sliding since it is trying to stay at the same location). you also really shouldn't be messing with any of the settings in the NAZA software yet, with the exception of calibrating the TX & IMU.

GPS signal loss does not make the craft crash. however you do have to be vigilant because if the craft looses GPS signal in flight and then regains it, it will record the spot where it regained GPS signal as the "home" position. this also includes the altitude that it was at when it re-established GPS signal. if this was to happen and you had to do a fail safe return to home command, your craft will fly back to the new spot and land there. meaning that if it was 60 feet up in the air over the roof of some building, that is where it will try to land and fall the rest of the way onto that roof.

in ATTI mode, the craft maintains a level flight, however when you let go of the control stick the craft will continue to fly in a straight line in the direction it was heading until something stops it, you interact and give it new command, or eventually air friction will slow it down. primary difference between GPS and ATTI mode is the immediate hover in GPS instead of the "slide" that happens with ATTI.

hopes this helps

Thanks, that help a lot!
What would be the main benefit of using ATT mode? I am using it to record video, and heard video would look smoother with ATT?
Thanks

main benefit for ATTI is that while recording video, the craft will not be doing sudden movements to try and stay in the same position. you can also use ATTI to make it look like the shot was done with rails by letting the craft "slide" sideways. i am sure you can come up with quite a few more artistic shots with ATTI than you can with the craft in GPS.

auck said:
you do have to be vigilant because if the craft looses GPS signal in flight and then regains it, it will record the spot where it regained GPS signal as the "home" position.

Where does the documentation say that, please?

I dont think losing GPS signal will reset the home position in flight, what it does is if there arent enough GPS satellites in view then it will simply switch to ATTI mode in flight. As far as I know the GPS home location is only set prior to take off or if forced manually in flight it doesn't do this each time reception is lost.

This switch to atti can cause a crash if your expecting it to turn tighter using only yaw, stop or slow when releasing the sticks this can cause a crash. f you are also not comfortable in atti mode having it switch from gps to atti when your most likely losing GPS because of a nearby object interfering with reception will likely cause many beginners to crash. For this reason any close flying near objects in locations that wont have great GPS reception I would avoid relying on the GPS to keep me away from things. Use GPS in clear sky above you and preferably when your above all objects and it will not give you any issues. Flying in areas with large buildings or a thick Forrest relying on GPS mode with aggressive flying near objects is asking for trouble.

Learn in open areas with GPS mode as it will also counteract the wind and so turning off GPS in stronger winds if your just learning can easily cause you to lose control panic and lead to a crash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav