Is footage donated considered commerical use?

Reaction score
I work at a retail store and want to donate a long tracking shot of our sales counter flying backwards that ends high above our parking lot. I did not receive compensation for this footage but my boss wants to put it in a commercial for our store. Any ideas if this would be legal under the FAA Non-Commercial Use protocol etc?

Thank you!

Ultimately your video will be adding commercial value to the store even when you, yourself are not being directly paid for it. I would suggest it is in breach of the FAA rule. Two choices...

- email the FAA to ask the question
- put the video up and make sure you have something in writing that states the video was donated

Personally I'd think it is highly unlikely that they will come down on you for it if its just a one off but there are no guarentees.

If you do contact the FAA and get no reply then you at least have that in your defense as you have shown a responisible attitude toward the matter.

Currently the FAA rules aren't technically laws so enforcement would be difficult. We'll see how Trappy from TBS does in his case......

Since you recorded the video without intent to use commercially, I'd think they can't do much about it, besides they'd have to prove you shot the footage with a quad.

That would seem like a worthless fishing trip for the FAA to pursue, hopefully they have more pressing issues to occupy them.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4