Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Is drone activity self defeating?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Narrator, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Narrator

From a topic I found elsewhere, regarding UAVs and no fly zones.

2. PhantomFanatic

I know you copied this, but what do you think a "lawful operator" is? Will the FAA require courses for hobby use of drones? I seriously doubt it.

But if they did, what about these rather large scale jets? Surely, they could present more of a hazard than a four rotor drone.

This whole thing is stressful. I wish they will rule. Yes, I do want to have a small commercial business. But, primarily this is a hobby and it is a good use for my 3D printer and soon, my hobby grade vacuum form 'machine' for custom canopies. Of course, I hope to produce something to sell!

Having said that, I also hope they don't rush to a decision! :). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the FAA, for now, is addressing only commercial use of drones. I believe I'm correct in saying they could ground us if they wished. But, if they did so, who will fight for us?? That is what worries me as I don't think the AMA is very supportive of drones, period.

Edit: a BTW who is logging our successful flights and who is giving them to the concerned agencies? How more advanced do our Phantoms need to be? To bypass the operator/pilot or insert your term?

3. Buckaye

Re the AMA --- It looks like they're willing to get involved... Here's an example: http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov ... york-city/

4. PhantomFanatic

To be honest, I am very happy if I am wrong! Thanks.

5. Buckaye

Yeah... Certainly not trying to prove you wrong... Just trying to provide some hope :)

6. PhantomFanatic

Buckaye, we are good, my friend! :)