Is drone activity self defeating?

Reaction score
From a topic I found elsewhere, regarding UAVs and no fly zones.

I think the whole concept of UAV's from the private sector still has some growing to do in the eyes of ASA, Military and ATC. Along with some major improvements in flight control systems and safety features. I think that at this point, there are too many reported or known fly away events, that have ATC and ASA reluctant to provide clearance into the current no fly zones.

So as I see it, unless there can be a history of safe completed flights by lawful operators and the penalty fines by CASA increased 10 fold. I can only see the no fly zones getting bigger not smaller.

I know you copied this, but what do you think a "lawful operator" is? Will the FAA require courses for hobby use of drones? I seriously doubt it.

But if they did, what about these rather large scale jets? Surely, they could present more of a hazard than a four rotor drone.

This whole thing is stressful. I wish they will rule. Yes, I do want to have a small commercial business. But, primarily this is a hobby and it is a good use for my 3D printer and soon, my hobby grade vacuum form 'machine' for custom canopies. Of course, I hope to produce something to sell!

Having said that, I also hope they don't rush to a decision! :). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the FAA, for now, is addressing only commercial use of drones. I believe I'm correct in saying they could ground us if they wished. But, if they did so, who will fight for us?? That is what worries me as I don't think the AMA is very supportive of drones, period.

Edit: a BTW who is logging our successful flights and who is giving them to the concerned agencies? How more advanced do our Phantoms need to be? To bypass the operator/pilot or insert your term?

PhantomFanatic said:
I know you copied this, but what do you think a "lawful operator" is? Will the FAA require courses for hobby use of drones? I seriously doubt it.

But if they did, what about these rather large scale jets? Surely, they could present more of a hazard than a four rotor drone.

This whole thing is stressful. I wish they will rule. Yes, I do want to have a small commercial business. But, primarily this is a hobby and it is a good use for my 3D printer and soon, my hobby grade vacuum form 'machine' for custom canopies. Of course, I hope to produce something to sell!

Having said that, I also hope they don't rush to a decision! :). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the FAA, for now, is addressing only commercial use of drones. I believe I'm correct in saying they could ground us if they wished. But, if they did so, who will fight for us?? That is what worries me as I don't think the AMA is very supportive of drones, period.

Re the AMA --- It looks like they're willing to get involved... Here's an example: http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov ... york-city/

Buckaye said:
PhantomFanatic said:

Re the AMA --- It looks like they're willing to get involved... Here's an example: http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov ... york-city/

To be honest, I am very happy if I am wrong! Thanks.

PhantomFanatic said:
Buckaye said:
PhantomFanatic said:

To be honest, I am very happy if I am wrong! Thanks.

Yeah... Certainly not trying to prove you wrong... Just trying to provide some hope :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen