Is DJI warranty also a phantom?

Reaction score
My drone was about 50 feet directly overhead with a good connection. Suddenly the connection was lost and I had a flyaway. It crashed about 1/4 mile away with bad results. I sent it in to DJI for a warranty repair- I thought. Their analysis was the following: " Customer didn't cancel the autolanding while taking another flight".
There was no "other" flight- it just flew away the first time I took off that day. I'm sure part of the cost we pay for a drone is used to cover warranty issues. When does DJI plan on using some of that money?

If you'd like us to review and comment on your flight log, please upload the TXT flight log here and post a link back here.

My drone was about 50 feet directly overhead with a good connection. Suddenly the connection was lost and I had a flyaway. It crashed about 1/4 mile away with bad results. I sent it in to DJI for a warranty repair- I thought. Their analysis was the following: " Customer didn't cancel the autolanding while taking another flight".
There was no "other" flight- it just flew away the first time I took off that day. I'm sure part of the cost we pay for a drone is used to cover warranty issues. When does DJI plan on using some of that money?

usually they do so when the flight log shows that an event was not caused by an operator error.

The logs are very detailed and as noted you can upload them to phantomhelp.
folks will be able to look and see exactly what and where things got wrong...

good luck and have fun flying!

You posted the flight record here: Now for my second problem
But I'll reply here where the description of the incident is.
Your flight record shows something interesting.
You flew out until 1:04 and initiated RTH from 160 ft high
The Phantom returned home and started the descent part of the RTH process.
It descended to 38 ft at 2:13 and then without cancelling the RTH/Autoland, you pushed the left stick forward to climb and kept climbing as well as flying the Phantom toward the north.
At 4:27 you had climbed to 225 ft and the Phantom was 920 feet away when the downlink signal was lost for 44 seconds.
It appears that you stopped pushing the left stick when the downlink was lost for 44 secondsand the (still not cancelled) autoland brought the Phantom down to 37 feet.
During this 44 seconds the Phantom drifted with the wind for 200 feet - which you may have interpreted as flying away.
While the downlink was lost, although you had no video etc from the Phantom, you still had control signal and could have used the controller.
The downlink was restored at 5:11 with the Phantom now at 37 feet and still descending.
There is no more input from the throttle and it keeps descending until it landed, probably hitting a tree on the way down.

The whole incident was due to not cancelling the autoland and flying off with the Phantom still in autoland mode.
While you pushed the throttle up, the Phantom climbed but when you took your fingers off the left stick, it went back to descending.

Reactions: kirk2579
That's pretty good, I guess. I hope I can get that good at analyzing those flight logs. I look at mine on every flight, just to try to get a grasp of what they're saying though.
Anyway, am I missing something here? I've not used the RTH function yet, so I guess I don't know how you'd cancel the autoland mode. Clue me in so I never have this happen please.

I've not used the RTH function yet, so I guess I don't know how you'd cancel the autoland mode.
You can cancel RTH by toggling the S1 switch back and forth a few times.

No. It's initiated using the S2 switch.

FYI, you can find more details in the Phantom manual.

You posted the flight record here: Now for my second problem
But I'll reply here where the description of the incident is.
Your flight record shows something interesting.
You flew out until 1:04 and initiated RTH from 160 ft high
The Phantom returned home and started the descent part of the RTH process.
It descended to 38 ft at 2:13 and then without cancelling the RTH/Autoland, you pushed the left stick forward to climb and kept climbing as well as flying the Phantom toward the north.
At 4:27 you had climbed to 225 ft and the Phantom was 920 feet away when the downlink signal was lost for 44 seconds.
It appears that you stopped pushing the left stick when the downlink was lost for 44 secondsand the (still not cancelled) autoland brought the Phantom down to 37 feet.
During this 44 seconds the Phantom drifted with the wind for 200 feet - which you may have interpreted as flying away.
While the downlink was lost, although you had no video etc from the Phantom, you still had control signal and could have used the controller.
The downlink was restored at 5:11 with the Phantom now at 37 feet and still descending.
There is no more input from the throttle and it keeps descending until it landed, probably hitting a tree on the way down.

The whole incident was due to not cancelling the autoland and flying off with the Phantom still in autoland mode.
While you pushed the throttle up, the Phantom climbed but when you took your fingers off the left stick, it went back to descending.
-- At 2:13 it was descending on top of a small tree. I did push the left stick forward to avoid a collision. At this time the right stick had no control of the motion of the drone in the x-y plane. Well prior to 4:27, eye contact with the drone was lost as it went behind a stand of trees. At that point I stopped using both sticks as I had no video or visual contact. While out of sight and with no input from me, the drone made a hard left turn and traveled North about 1000 feet where it crashed. I am new to drones and did know flight logs existed. When this site informed me of their existence, I followed (on foot) the flight path and found the pieces exactly where indicated. I was under the impression that the drone's path could be modified during a RTH landing to avoid obstacles. If that is correct why would I have to cancel RTH? How would an experienced pilot have handled this situation?

I was under the impression that the drone's path could be modified during a RTH landing to avoid obstacles.
If that is correct why would I have to cancel RTH?
Your flight shows that the drone's path could be modified during a RTH landing - that's what it was doing after 2:13.
But the autoland part of the RTH programming was still active and continued whenever you took your hands off the sticks.
Until the RTH was cancelled, the program was always going to do what it's programmed to.
Cancel that programming and the Phantom would do anything you told it to or just hovered in place if you gave it no control input.

-- At 2:13 it was descending on top of a small tree. I did push the left stick forward to avoid a collision. At this time the right stick had no control of the motion of the drone in the x-y plane. Well prior to 4:27, eye contact with the drone was lost as it went behind a stand of trees. At that point I stopped using both sticks as I had no video or visual contact. While out of sight and with no input from me, the drone made a hard left turn and traveled North about 1000 feet where it crashed. I am new to drones and did know flight logs existed. When this site informed me of their existence, I followed (on foot) the flight path and found the pieces exactly where indicated. I was under the impression that the drone's path could be modified during a RTH landing to avoid obstacles. If that is correct why would I have to cancel RTH? How would an experienced pilot have handled this situation?

you are correct , the quad could and was being controlled by the rc.

Where you went wrong is not completely understanding what RTH is.
It is a program that has ONE mission and only 1.
Once that program is executed by the operator---you did.
The program will NOT STOP until its one mission has:
Completed
Crashed on way
CANCEL the RTH mission manually via the RC.

as Msinger says once you stopped interfering with it , it (the RTH Program) simply continued its mission and you know the rest.

good luck and have fun flying!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie