Is DJI the cause of Go app issues on new Android?

Reaction score
Getting ready to take my Bird out for the last flight of the year. Turn on my Samsung S2-T710 to see there is a security update for Android 6.01. Eagerly apply the update in the hope they added back the "just once" prompt when hooking up a USB device. No joy as that is still the same, it always defaults to the last app used :(
So I notice all the permissions when go to tell the DJI Go it's not the default, didn't notice as many in the past. So I decided to turn off contacts. And up pops this message that I've never seen before.

View media item 2483
So is this the real source of the issues many of use are having after updating to vr. 6 of Android? No wonder DJI hasn't updated the approved device list for Android! It would appear as though DJI has given little or no consideration to those of us that use newer Android devices ?

Interested in seeing the message you got but permission denied to your link.

Interested in seeing the message you got but permission denied to your link.
Interesting is one word for it!
Although I have a lot of words for it that shouldn't be posted in public!!
The link is to the picture I posted on PP, not sure why it shows up in the post?

Getting ready to take my Bird out for the last flight of the year. Turn on my Samsung S2-T710 to see there is a security update for Android 6.01. Eagerly apply the update in the hope they added back the "just once" prompt when hooking up a USB device. No joy as that is still the same, it always defaults to the last app used :(
So I notice all the permissions when go to tell the DJI Go it's not the default, didn't notice as many in the past. So I decided to turn off contacts. And up pops this message that I've never seen before.

View media item 2483
So is this the real source of the issues many of use are having after updating to vr. 6 of Android? No wonder DJI hasn't updated the approved device list for Android! It would appear as though DJI has given little or no consideration to those of us that use newer Android devices ?

I just mentioned in a post about the new RC update issue to DJI- Mindy all the list is old stuff no one would buy today and most don't compare at all to new adndoid devices with quad and better cpu, 2 and 3 gig ram memeory , super gpu chips , etc.

if anything the new stuff should rock vs some of the "approved " garbage units

@kirk2579, agreed plenty of very good Android devices on the market. There has been plenty of time for DJI to update the app for Android 6 and add a host of new devices to their list.

So it's quite obvious DJI is in bed with Apple to try and make the Apple products look better than Android devices. And they are doing a hell of a good when you look at the approved device list.
After all when you have the latest flagship iOS devices listed and none of the new Android devices it's just too obvious.

I like my IOS devices but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend more $$ on an GPS iPad mini that I don't want or need. Especially given the premium they want just to get GPS!

P.S. My S2 Tablet is on the approved list of devices, but I suppose only if it's running Android 5.x.

@kirk2579
P.S. My S2 Tablet is on the approved list of devices, but I suppose only if it's running Android 5.x.
Made the mistake of upgrading to Android 6 on my S2. But the only problem I have is with Litchi installed GO will not connect. Now I'm getting notice of a new update - I guess the is Android 7 but it doesn't say what it is. There's a possibility this could fix problems but it could also make matters worse. What to do... Anybody tried the latest update?

Seeing the same complaints in the DJI Osmo forums

@kirk2579, agreed plenty of very good Android devices on the market. There has been plenty of time for DJI to update the app for Android 6 and add a host of new devices to their list.

So it's quite obvious DJI is in bed with Apple to try and make the Apple products look better than Android devices. And they are doing a hell of a good when you look at the approved device list.
After all when you have the latest flagship iOS devices listed and none of the new Android devices it's just too obvious.

I like my IOS devices but I'll be damned if I'm going to spend more $$ on an GPS iPad mini that I don't want or need. Especially given the premium they want just to get GPS!

I have never bought or owned an Apple device of any type
wont start now for DJI...
that started back in early 80's and has worked fine so far and saved me plenty of $

one size fits all doesn't work with pants or choice.

actually it is the concept "one size fits all" that I thinks is THE issue with DJO GO.
too many devices
too many unused by many features
very large and resource heavy

DJI please trim out some fat and provide a less complex LITE flight app for those that need less
and then let those that need it all choose the GO APP for full featured use.

Last edited:
Ah yes, been there, done that. There is some sort of snafu in the way android 6 allows an app [usually dji go] to set itself as the default. This default is not registered in the default applications screen, and to use a different app to fly, has to be reset in the application manager. Apparently, none of the apps can tell the others that it is the default.
Look for the "set to default" in the application manager, for the last app you used to fly. Under the heading, if it says [in blue on my s6] "set to default", click on that & another screen will come up with a button which says "clear default". Then, when you get ready to fly with another app, it will pop up a screen at the bottom with all your flying apps, asking which app you want to connect to the usb.
A pretty sure sign that this is the problem is when the app gives telemetry, but says "Disconnected" for the video.

Made the mistake of upgrading to Android 6 on my S2. But the only problem I have is with Litchi installed GO will not connect. Now I'm getting notice of a new update - I guess the is Android 7 but it doesn't say what it is. There's a possibility this could fix problems but it could also make matters worse. What to do... Anybody tried the latest update?

If your referring to the Android device, yes I did the Aug. update (which I was just informed of a couple days ago) and it was just a security fix, that's when I got the message I captured and posted above.
The update didn't even increment the vr. # which in my case is 6.0.1 before and after the latest Android update.

As for the DJI Go app v.2.8.3 works very well and everything after gives me serious issues. Have not had any Litchi issues, but I don't use it nearly as often as the DJI app.

Totally agree. I've been looking at an iPad Mini with Cellular, but compared to a new Nvidia Shield K1 it's a no brainer - 50% cheaper and probably better.
Are people saying that Android 6x is causing issues with the GO app or are they sorted?

@swoot, Android 6 Has been a common theme with people having issues with the Go app, especially with Samsung devices. My device worked as expected until it updated from 5.x to 6.01, then down hill from there.

I have no idea if the latest Go app fixes anything as I'm still on v2.8.3. Maybe others that have updated can comment?

@swoot, Android 6 Has been a common theme with people having issues with the Go app, especially with Samsung devices. My device worked as expected until it updated from 5.x to 6.01, then down hill from there.

I have no idea if the latest Go app fixes anything as I'm still on v2.8.3. Maybe others that have updated can comment?

I had no issues with 6.01 and 3.0 itself on my shield
it has been updated to 6 long ago..

however the combo 3.0 and 1.8 on RC caused banding of colors...
today took RC to 1.6 and will try it a bit later when done work.
on desk it is clear but need to get out for real test

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers