Is confiscation next step?

Reaction score
I realize that most people here maybe involved in business using copters and may seek an exemption to fly anywhere, but here are some of us who are in this hobby for years of safe flying.
After FAA ruling it looks like they could not simply ban UAVs they really banned us through the back door asking the states to it for them.
As most of you know that any state park has already banned to fly anything. Yes, you can fly at AMA fields but for most of us flying in circles gets old fast and forget about nice video..
Few days ago I read that local LEO (or park ranger) called his superiors asking if he is able to CONFISCATE a quad which was flown in the middle of nowhere (Florida swamp)
He apparently checked FAA registration and other documents and according to the pilot, was looking for anything he could call a violation.
Thankfully for the pilot/hobbyist after a long while he just had to stop flying and leave.
I am curious if in any case they are allowed to confiscate our models/quads??
Since the flying areas for us shrink faster than melting snow I'm just thinking that LEOs will start confiscating our toys to discourage anyone from flying for fun, thus playing high notes to FAA and saving agency from official total ban.
I am almost certain that any of us broke some FAA "rules" unknowingly sometimes

Yes - if a pilot is blatantly reckless, it can be done. Etc. See attached document.

Attachments

• FAA_UAS-PO_LEA_Guidance.pdf
    872.3 KB · Views: 537
National Parks are NFZ's but I am not sure all state parks are. In New York they allow them but some parks are by permit only. I believe Florida has banned all state parks.

Most LEO's don't want to get involved in the whole FAA mess. Many LEO's that are forum members have agreed... they are not trained in the rules & regs of model aircraft rules so they want to avoid any action at all cost.

Not likely. That a seizure would occur.
Now do something stupid and endanger someone by doing it.. Yep.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: BigAl07
National Parks are NFZ's but I am not sure all state parks are. In New York they allow them but some parks are by permit only. I believe Florida has banned all state parks.

Most LEO's don't want to get involved in the whole FAA mess. Many LEO's that are forum members have agreed... they are not trained in the rules & regs of model aircraft rules so they want to avoid any action at all cost.
Exactly.. From a fed!

Reactions: BigAl07
Park Rangers are notorious a-holes. They typically are either old retired folks or young cop wannabes that take their jobs WAY too seriously. It's laughable he even tried to confiscate the drone.

Not likely. That a seizure would occur.
Now do something stupid and endanger someone by doing it.. Yep.

That pretty well nails it on the head.

In Colorado, State Parks only allows "R/C vehicles" to be operated in designated areas. This has been the case well before Drones were flying. I've come to believe in the power of video taping "events". If I were flying in an approved area meaning non-NFZ area and started to get flack from some Ranger or someone in a position of power, I'd start recording and capture the "encounter" on tape just in case that person over-steps their bounds and accuses me of something I didn't do...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20