Is anyone running their plus in NAZA?

Reaction score
I don't have mine yet, but when I do I want to go to NAZA pretty quick, like 2nd outing. Is anyone running NAZA mode with the latest firmware and can chime in on how its performing?? One guy in another thread says his is unpredictable doing RTH in NAZA with his plus.

BlackTracer said:
I don't have mine yet, but when I do I want to go to NAZA pretty quick, like 2nd outing. Is anyone running NAZA mode with the latest firmware and can chime in on how its performing?? One guy in another thread says his is unpredictable doing RTH in NAZA with his plus.

It's actually unpredictable after having done RTF as well... meaning... after a really hard landing in RTH mode.... i took it up again and this time didn't do RTH... then out of nowhere... it started gyrating left/right very quickly and descending very fast until it hit hard... thank god for the prop guards.. they really absorbed a lot of impact on my last two crash and burns... I'm switching back to PHANTOM mode and will see if that makes any difference... I was flying in PHANTOM mode prior to today's unfortunate events with no problems. I am using the latest firmware 3.0. I have a strong suspicion that there might be a bug with NAZA mode and this firmware... Anyone care to help test this theory?? lol

srandall25 said:
BlackTracer said:

It's actually unpredictable after having done RTF as well... meaning... after a really hard landing in RTH mode.... i took it up again and this time didn't do RTH... then out of nowhere... it started gyrating left/right very quickly and descending very fast until it hit hard... thank god for the prop guards.. they really absorbed a lot of impact on my last two crash and burns... I'm switching back to PHANTOM mode and will see if that makes any difference... I was flying in PHANTOM mode prior to today's unfortunate events with no problems. I am using the latest firmware 3.0. I have a strong suspicion that there might be a bug with NAZA mode and this firmware... Anyone care to help test this theory?? lol

My first question is did you get a good home position, i.e. two sets of rapid greens? Not saying that would explain anything.

BlackTracer said:
srandall25 said:
BlackTracer said:

My first question is did you get a good home position, i.e. two sets of rapid greens? Not saying that would explain anything.

Yes, I did.. it actually came home where it was suppose to, but landed very hard! came down way too fast... then the very next flight... it flew fine for the first few minutes and then started acting crazy in the air and fast descent... very scary...

Good God man. That suuuuuucks. I am scared now to even try it.

Hoping someone else will chime in and report on their NAZA experience with the plus and v3.00

BlackTracer said:

Hoping someone else will chime in and report on their NAZA experience with the plus and v3.00

I want to fly it again in PHANTOM mode but I'm afraid if it happens again and gets 'destroyed' that DJI may give me a harder time in providing support for it since they wouldn't be able to test it themselves at that point... Do you think I would run into any problems with them replacing this if the uncommanded erratic behavior happened again and killed it? I haven't had to deal with their customer service yet.. I only got this a week ago... but I know I'm doing everything right from my end... I've spent many hours in the forums and user manual ensuring that there isn't something i was doing to cause this action. Last time this happened the phantom was only maybe 30' away from me... very conservative flying at this point... I'm definitely not gonna fly this in NAZA mode at this point... lost my confidence... now if I get the guts to try this again in PHANTOM mode with no problems, I will be sure to report back my findings...

Working in the IT support field, to counter tier 1(level 1) support, must have a clear procedure that can yield repeatable outcomes. Hopefully, in similar environments.

Based on what was posted, the SOP yielded repeatable results. What would be helpful to convince support there is a potential problem is multiple units displaying the same symptoms. If support is competent, they will try it on the bench unit and verify.

Let's hope it's a bug, corrupted system, hardware glitch or something unique. Sorry OP with problem... I don't have faith DJI will resolve in a timely manner if it's a software coding problem.

Unless it's a major safety issues that hits the media or could immediately affect profits, this company hasn't displayed a commitment to customer service or dealer support IMO.

I ran in NAZA mode right out of the box, and she flew perfect two back-to-back flights. I don't see where there should be any risk in running NAZA mode so long you always remember to have S1 & S2 in the upper position when you power on. I deliberately tested the RTH function three times by throwing S1 to the bottom position and she returned and landed only a couple of feet away from where she took off all three times. All the landings were smooth also. I didn't get to fly her until just before dusk. It was getting dark and my video turned out rather blah. She'll be back in the air early AM though...searching for the elusive Easter bunny! :?

Dirty Bird said:
I ran in NAZA mode right out of the box, and she flew perfect two back-to-back flights. I don't see where there should be any risk in running NAZA mode so long you always remember to have S1 & S2 in the upper position when you power on. I deliberately tested the RTH function three times by throwing S1 to the bottom position and she returned and landed only a couple of feet away from where she took off all three times. All the landings were smooth also. I didn't get to fly her until just before dusk. It was getting dark and my video turned out rather blah. She'll be back in the air early AM though...searching for the elusive Easter bunny! :?

Thanks Dirty Bird for your response. I feel a lot better now knowing yours performed well in NAZA. I am dying here waiting for mine to be delivered on Wednesday or Thursday.

Whenever I switch to naza I recalibrate my sticks. Then I check all my switches in the assistant.

srandall25 said:
BlackTracer said:

I want to fly it again in PHANTOM mode but I'm afraid if it happens again and gets 'destroyed' that DJI may give me a harder time in providing support for it since they wouldn't be able to test it themselves at that point... Do you think I would run into any problems with them replacing this if the uncommanded erratic behavior happened again and killed it? I haven't had to deal with their customer service yet.. I only got this a week ago... but I know I'm doing everything right from my end... I've spent many hours in the forums and user manual ensuring that there isn't something i was doing to cause this action. Last time this happened the phantom was only maybe 30' away from me... very conservative flying at this point... I'm definitely not gonna fly this in NAZA mode at this point... lost my confidence... now if I get the guts to try this again in PHANTOM mode with no problems, I will be sure to report back my findings...
RETURN HOME ALERT! 2 hours ago I was testing a night-flight with my PV2+ in "Phantom Mode". This was I believe my 7th flight since getting it on Tuesday. I had 7 GPS locks and position confirmation prior to take-off and after 10 minutes I was flying 1000' directly above my home and "Lost Control Signal". No big deal it happens all the time right? My screen then said "return home" (all normal still), then I lost telemetry for at least 5 seconds (Common on my "old" P2V) and when it came back it was at 800' and my bird was severely oscillating back and forth like a cat was smacking it between its paws from behind. The 3 axis gimbal did not have a fighting chance against the unstable flying (Yes I have Video - Night time). I calmly moved the right switch S1 to the middle position, to take control of the "attitude of my bird", and then my P2V+ was in denial, as if it never happened and flew fine after taking control. By the way the oscillating was very audible at 800 ft. and the even my wife had to chime in with "What is wrong with that thing? Sounds like it's going to crash"? Despite her helpful comments and shaking the fresh crap out of my pants, I was able to avoid panic. I literally thought it was going to crash into house straight down from 800'. By the way, the return home function has activated at least 3 times prior to tonight without any trouble at all. By the way there are no birds or bats in this area that fly at night at 800' in complete darkness that I am aware of or show up in the video.

Hawk Eye said:
srandall25 said:
BlackTracer said:

RETURN HOME ALERT! 2 hours ago I was testing a night-flight with my PV2+ in "Phantom Mode". This was I believe my 7th flight since getting it on Tuesday. I had 7 GPS locks and position confirmation prior to take-off and after 10 minutes I was flying 1000' directly above my home and "Lost Control Signal". No big deal it happens all the time right? My screen then said "return home" (all normal still), then I lost telemetry for at least 5 seconds (Common on my "old" P2V) and when it came back it was at 800' and my bird was severely oscillating back and forth like a cat was smacking it between its paws from behind. The 3 axis gimbal did not have a fighting chance against the unstable flying (Yes I have Video - Night time). I calmly moved the right switch S1 to the middle position, to take control of the "attitude of my bird", and then my P2V+ was in denial, as if it never happened and flew fine after taking control. By the way the oscillating was very audible at 800 ft. and the even my wife had to chime in with "What is wrong with that thing? Sounds like it's going to crash"? Despite her helpful comments and shaking the fresh crap out of my pants, I was able to avoid panic. I literally thought it was going to crash into house straight down from 800'. By the way, the return home function has activated at least 3 times prior to tonight without any trouble at all. By the way there are no birds or bats in this area that fly at night at 800' in complete darkness that I am aware of or show up in the video.

Your description of the 'severely oscillating back and forth' is exactly what happened to me today... I just happened out of nowhere and i was maybe 100' high and couple hundred feet out... nothing major... It was my first time using NAZA mode so i thought it might have been a bug with NAZA mode... Unfortunately for me, this wasn't in RTH mode, so I was already suppose to have control therefore I couldn't 'take control' by switching S1 down to the middle. I even gave it full throttle to no avail... It happened to me twice yesterday... arggghh.... wish i knew what it was.. Everyone please report if you experience these cat paws hitting your drone back and forth!!!

scrandall25: Your description of the 'severely oscillating back and forth' is exactly what happened to me today... I just happened out of nowhere and i was maybe 100' high and couple hundred feet out... nothing major... It was my first time using NAZA mode so i thought it might have been a bug with NAZA mode... Unfortunately for me, this wasn't in RTH mode, so I was already suppose to have control therefore I couldn't 'take control' by switching S1 down to the middle. I even gave it full throttle to no avail... It happened to me twice yesterday... arggghh.... wish i knew what it was.. Were you in NAZA mode? How long have you been flying in NAZA mode?

As mentioned above, I was in Phantom Mode. I only replied on this that his thread because I thought my situation was similar and might help. I am only assuming it had something to do with the RTH because that is the only time in 7 flights it happened and stopped when I took control. If I had to guess, it is descending far too rapidly for some reason. Theoretically, if the prop motors slow down to a near stop, then it is plausible that the upward force of the wind (given enough mass of the quad) could cause the props to begin to turn in the other direction and unthread. Then as the motor speeds up again it would tend to "yank" when the thread bottoms out as it self-tightens and would cause the erratic side to side motion. I know that is a big stretch and never had an experience like this with my P2V but another user crashed his bird on the first flight because he said his prop came off. I can't see any other way this could happen unless the motors slow down to a near stop?

Just wanted to bump this thread for more feedback on the Plus' running NAZA. I was ready to switch it over and setup my switches but the posts on this thread have me second guessing because my Plus runs flawlessly right now in PHANTOM mode.

YeeaaBoii said:
Just wanted to bump this thread for more feedback on the Plus' running NAZA. I was ready to switch it over and setup my switches but the posts on this thread have me second guessing because my Plus runs flawlessly right now in PHANTOM mode.

I was actually in NAZA mode the second time it happened... and it was from a clear 30' above the ground.. no back prop wash issues...

Hawk Eye said:
srandall25 said:
BlackTracer said:

It's possible you were encountering the downwash from your own props and trying to descent through it caused the problem. Just a thought... so once you regained control, perhaps you moved the copter slightly in one direction as you came down, thereby not flying thru your own disrupted air.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl