Is a control board for a gimbal needed with Naza?

Reaction score
So I've done a fair amount of looking on Gimbals and i have no doubt that you get what you pay for. However I am puzzled by this:

http://quadcopters.co.uk/gopro-2-axis-gimbal-for-dji-phantom-648-p.asp

My question is can you run a 2 axis like the above directly from the Naza or do you have to have a seperate control board? At first I assumed you'd have to have a control board but I have seen a couple of people control at least a single axis gimbal without one on the Naza.

Any input would be welcome.

The brushless gimbals tend to have their own controller boards; not sure if their gain can be switched of and utilize just the naza for stabilization. With the arris cm2000 and supplied software you can't. The connectors for the motors are conventional jr servo connectors, but I'm not going to take the gamble and see what happens if I plug those straight into the naza ;)

But this gimbal you're showing is probably about the last you should consider.. Way too jittery motion. I'v got one and would feel guilty to sell it to anyone :idea:

Yes i thought it was a bit much to ask that you can simply plug a gimbal servo straight into the Naza... I've seen it done and it worked but i think i'll maybe contact DJI for their opinion on that first (assuming it will be to 'await our new £1000 gimbal and use that' lol).
Have you got any footage using that gimlble? Would interesting to see how bad 'bad' really is as i'm not interested in cinema quality (just yet!).

DeweyAXD said:
So I've done a fair amount of looking on Gimbals and i have no doubt that you get what you pay for. However I am puzzled by this:

http://quadcopters.co.uk/gopro-2-axis-gimbal-for-dji-phantom-648-p.asp

My question is can you run a 2 axis like the above directly from the Naza or do you have to have a seperate control board? At first I assumed you'd have to have a control board but I have seen a couple of people control at least a single axis gimbal without one on the Naza.

Any input would be welcome.
I have that same gimbal, and I would advise against it. Yes the Naza controls the roll and pitch. I can also manually adjust the pitch with the slider on the back of the phantom Tx. You can also adjust the gains on both roll and pitch through the naza assistant software. Its a very simple setup, just turn on the gimbal switch on the software and mess with the gains to settle the servos down. They are very suseptable to wind and erratic flying. Mine will be for sale here soon after I get a brushless gimbal, either the Dji or the Arris. It looks like the Arris, because I want to get these videos stabilized, without software.

MX45OR said:
I have that same gimbal, and I would advise against it. Yes the Naza controls the roll and pitch. I can also manually adjust the pitch with the slider on the back of the phantom Tx. You can also adjust the gains on both roll and pitch through the naza assistant software. Its a very simple setup, just turn on the gimbal switch on the software and mess with the gains to settle the servos down. They are very suseptable to wind and erratic flying. Mine will be for sale here soon after I get a brushless gimbal, either the Dji or the Arris. It looks like the Arris, because I want to get these videos stabilized, without software.

Sounds like maybe best I sidestep that one then but interesting to hear you can just plug'n'play with the Naza (i'd seen the ch7 mod too). The fact it appears in almost identical format to the chinease ones on ebay did worry me a little. That said, as with tvpopta I'd love to see any footage you have with it in use? Just in case your level of acceptable wobble is a little higher than mine.
At present I am experimenting with over flights of a castle ruins for the local museum (this is about as close to history i dare get!). Steadier images would be nice but to be honest even just using it to pan and tilt might be worth the investment compared to £300 (thanks to the Arris UK prices!).

I have the same gimbal as well, and agree,. if you're serious about getting good video, I'd advise putting that money towards a brushless gimbal instead. (and one of the perks is that the brushless gimbals come with anti-vibration mounts)
I would have gone for a brushless one myself, but they weren't really available a few months ago, so I got the servo one... and kinda wish I had merely held out, but it's def been kinda fun learning how to shoot with it.
I did manage to get a few decent videos out of it,. even ran a test to see how it would work in a windy day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9sC5zLP-wo

The servo-based gimbals just don't seem to have what it takes to provide smooth anti-roll/pitch motion.
But on the other hand, I still prefer having it than no gimbal at all.
and love the ability to pitch-down in flight (tho wish it pitched all the way down!, I'd have to hack mine).

But I"m getting the Arris brushless gimbal.

Thanks guys. Both very interesting views on it. The test footage is actually a lot better than I was expecting for something that, lets face it, is almost half the price of an Arris (when you factor in the servos too). By the looks of it steady flight is less of an issue but it doesn't cope well with the more agressive turns and they are the ones that tend to give the most stnning pictures when you are close to objects.
Food for thought at least.

Did either of you (or anyone for that matter) do any higher level testing? I'd be interesting to know how it copes with winds at about 300 feet for my 'over flight' pictures. I'm imagining it will probably do alright actually but I bet Jello will be bad do to it being a little flimsy compared to others?

DeweyAXD said:
Thanks guys. Both very interesting views on it. The test footage is actually a lot better than I was expecting for something that, lets face it, is almost half the price of an Arris (when you factor in the servos too). By the looks of it steady flight is less of an issue but it doesn't cope well with the more agressive turns and they are the ones that tend to give the most stnning pictures when you are close to objects.
Food for thought at least.

Did either of you (or anyone for that matter) do any higher level testing? I'd be interesting to know how it copes with winds at about 300 feet for my 'over flight' pictures. I'm imagining it will probably do alright actually but I bet Jello will be bad do to it being a little flimsy compared to others?
Yes, I did. I want to know how high I got, but I have no gps tracker for that reading.
It was up there, and shakey as all get out.
Gizmo: Im waiting on the Arris as well. Just put the order in last night.
I can't wait to see the footage I can get with the gimbal.

DeweyAXD said:

I never did much testing, but I will say that in bouncy wind even a hundred feet up, the servo gimbal has trouble trying to counteract the rocking of the Phantom.
I"m always applying stabilization in post.

Cheers guys. Ironically they came back in stock today but given your reviews I'm going to hold fire for now. The demo footage you've shown is in the realms of 'acceptable' to me but only if high level results match and it sounds unlikely. £45 (plus two mini servos at £8 each) for a product that is sub standard seems a bit of a waste at the moment.

Given I'm doing aerial photos mostly at present using time lapse 0.5 per second I think its money better spent on FPV.... and hence Fatshark Predator v2's have just been ordered! :) I hear spending is good for the British economy so lord knows I'm doing my part! :mrgreen:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1