Is 4k really that hard to deal with?

I am on a 2013 15" retina MacBook Pro with nvidia gt 750 graphics and getting choppy playback of the native mov files, is that normal? They play fine if I transcode them but was expecting the machine to handle them otherwise, it is very speedy at handling other graphics related jobs but I am new to 4 k...

Its simple - its not about resolution - its about datarate (bitrate) and codec! And because of that it also depends on a player you use.

Iam using Daum PotPlayer - for more than 3 years now... Best player ever from my point of view. P3P video is very smooth using this one.

Another thing is when you wanna edit these files - you should convert it to PRO codec like DNxHD / Apple PRORES / GrassValley HQX etc... And then you just create proxies if theres no smooth playback...

Btw my HW specs are way lower than alot of you guys here and my p3p playback is smooth:

Win 8.1 x64
i7 860 (first generation!!!! 5 years old!!!)
8GB RAM 1333MHz
nVidia GTX 770 2gb

I record at 2.7k (P3A) and used Adobe Premiere Elements 13 to convert to 1080p to YouTube. I'm gonna build a custom template soon that lets me export 2.7k back into YouTube.

The term 4k refers to the horizontal pixel count being around 4000. I don't see many people mentioning video hardware that supports 4096 resolution. I don't think in this day and age many standard PC's or monitors are capable of 4096 resolution, most are like 1920 across. So how are people with old laptops from 2005 viewing true 4k? Maybe the codecs they are using are reducing the resolution to run on a 1920 monitor and video card?

I have a P3P with 4k and also experienced the choppy/useless playback so now I am trying to figure out what I need to view 4k and I would think at a minimum I would need a video card and monitor that support 4096 resolution correct? I want to actually view 4k and not just have 4k work on a 1920x1080 monitor.

I'm still not quite understanding some of these conversations.

My GoPro Hero 4 Black model has 4K, too (though I shoot video in 2.7K). For that camera, and my P3P (where I do shoot in 4K) -- the main purpose for me is to be able to crop, pan & scan, and zoom videos using Premiere Pro CC 2015.

The end result (again, for me) is to end up with 1080 or 720 for uploading to Vimeo. I also like 4K video for grabbing high-quality still shots from video segments. More pixels is always better for any type of editing.

Bottom line -- The end result of 1080 is plenty stunning for most computer monitors and human eyeballs.

And even if you're watching on a 4K monitor, unless you put your head right up against the screen, or it's in an IMAX theater, it's still only occupying a small portion of your vision, so there's a point of no return.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tashier

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1